Cornscala Options

Hi-

I'm a new member here. I'm an audiophile, been posting at AudioKarma. I own Marantz and SAE power amps, Marantz pre amps, Phase Linear and Audio Control EQs. I have a pair of JBL L100s and I'll confess to owning a pair of Cerwin Vega D9s. I play electric bass, so I also post at TalkBass, BillFitzmaurice, and the fEARful forums.

Been reading about the Cornscala design for a while. Bob Crites has been very helpful discussing his designs with me. I've been researching the forums a bit and some folks are building them as a separate bass bin and a separate top (with the midrange and tweeter). The M2380 horn and Bob's Klipsch style CT-125 tweeter would make for some interesting designs as a top. I've seen many creative designs searching the web, I've even seen pics of modified Cornscala designs with the JBL 'Baby Butt Cheeks' tweeter horn.

Bob has a new two-way Cornscala Style D using a Faital Pro HF 140 compression driver with a Tractrix horn, so two-way designs are possible. Has anyone tried a mid/hi with the Altec 511 horn? The 511 can be used with a driver crossed at 500. The Altec 19 used the smaller 811 horn, but that horn is only recommended to be crossed as low as 800. I've read that although those old Altec horns look really cool, they can sound ringy or harsh if not encased in sand or something.

Any help would be most appreciated.

-John

Guest David H

I dont see why the Altec would not be fine in a Cornscala design, in fact I saw a gorgeos split box design with that exact horn.

My personal preference is a 3-way Cornscala. I have tried the 2-way, and sounds great, but adding the tweeter adds the shimmer I prefer.

Enjoy your project.

Dave.

The M2380 horn is a great horn. You might pair it with the Fatial HF200... The M2380 is much cheaper than the Fatial horn.

I went M2380/ HF200 to the Elipitrac400/HF200. Both great setups.

I think the bigest reason for the Bob K77 is to pair it with Heritage speakers... no cutting needed. I used a Selenuim D220 and Selenuim baby check horn from bob. Either tweeter is shine, my preference with the Selenuim... Bob sells both!

The split cabs are great... I own 2 sets... but man the single bin idea is my preference. I recomend the Bobs cornscala C to anyone who askes. it is basicly the setup I sugested above... M2380/ your choice of driver + Selenuim tweeter.

The K77 style may also be popular as it takes up the least amount of vertical space on the motor board. But those baby cheeks seem to be one of the more distinctive looking horns. I'm guessing there are many combinations that would work well.

Funds are limited right now, so I'll have to spread out the purchases over a period of time. I did just buy from Bob a pair of the D405 mid drivers as my preference would be to use phenolic diaphram drivers, plus he seems to have the only inventory on those left on the planet. Later on, I'll get the M2380 horns, and the Eminence APT 50 HF drivers. Will the baby cheek horns work as well with the APT 50 as the K77 style horn? Bob stocks a baby cheek clone?

Guest David H

Will the baby cheek horns work as well with the APT 50 as the K77 style horn? Bob stocks a baby cheek clone?

Bob's CT-125 is a great tweeter, so either is a good option.

If If you are going to use the Baby cheeks clone, you need to use the D-220 driver that Justin reccomended, Bob's tweeter uses the classic preferred APT tweeter that would require an adapter to be used with the Selenium horn lens, but can be done.

Dave

I'm not locked into the baby cheek horn. Since the APT 50 on the vintage style horn, Bob's CT-125, are already a proven combo, I can stick with that to keep it easier.

If you are going to go Cornscalas why not go all the way and do Cornscala Dbb's?

If I were asked, I would frame it this way:

If you need cabs cut for you... Go with bob Crites... He has done all the engineering needed. Again the M2380 horn and Fatial HF200 + Selenuim D220ti + Selenuim horn.

This rig will get you great drivers and a fantastic starting point. If you ever was to replace your horns with ones you build, Dave, Greg or Klipsch makes your will have a platform for it.

If you can cut / build on your own... Go Single 15" or Daves quad of 10"... He might eve cut the motor board if asked. I heard the quad 10" and would love to replace my single 15 for it. Perhaps more distortion? I couldn't hear it. I sounded loud and proud, enough so that I told Dave that id the owner of them doesn't come to them up, we could make a deal :-). This after I have more cornscalas then sense :-).

Build your own cab or farm our is the 1st question.

Then the base bin LF driver is the next logical design choice.

Next might be top end drivers and then horns.

By the way.. The M2380 and the Eliptrac both sounded pretty dam good as 2ways.

I've never hear a bad sounding Cornscala, so I am sure any of the tied and true components will be very impressive.

Dave

I must agree check out the Cornscala dbb thread coolhandjjl JWC has calculated everything to perfection..http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/58314.aspx?PageIndex=1

I heard the quad 10" and would love to replace my single 15 for it. Perhaps more distortion? I couldn't hear it. I sounded loud and proud, enough so that I told Dave that id the owner of them doesn't come to them up, we could make a deal :-).

I love my Quadscala. BTW Justin, it was great vsiting with you and alot of fun rocking out at your new place.

Seems to me Justins Cornscala's with the Eliptrac was by far the cleanest souning I have heard to date. I am having Dave now build me a pair of Eliptrac's for my Quadscala because of this audition. I will be using the B&C de85tn from ALK as well.

Craig 73

• 2 weeks later...