Noob question: how much are my 79 La Scalas worth?

quietcave

It is difficult to guess at the price. All prices took a drop with the economy and since these are large and not easily shipped, it depends whether there are local folks interested. I would check the eBay listings (completed purchases) and keep in mind that cosmetics are expecially important to many buyers. When you do advertise them, good photos are quite helpful.

It is difficult to guess at the price. All prices took a drop with the economy and since these are large and not easily shipped, it depends whether there are local folks interested. I would check the eBay listings (completed purchases) and keep in mind that cosmetics are expecially important to many buyers. When you do advertise them, good photos are quite helpful.

Thanks, PrestonTom. I'm in Omaha and the la scalas are in rough shape, definitely need to be veneered or refinished.

Do you think they're even worth $500?

ANY "working" La Scala pair is well worth $500. Probably a good bit more. I am NOT condoning parting them out but take a look at the math.

K33 woofers @ $100 ea = $200
K400 horns @ $50 ea = $100
K55V drivers @ $100 ea = $200
K77 tweeters @ $50 ea = $100
AL crossovers @ $50 ea = $100
Empty La Scala cabinets @ $50 ea = $100

Total = $800

And these are VERY "low end" prices based on what I see on eBay. On a good day the parts could easily sell at 25% to 50% more than the numbers I used.

What is your intent? Fix them up or dispose of them. Even the worst "beater" La Scalas can be turned in to show pieces with a couple hundred $$ and some time. Take a look around here. You'll find a TON of folks who have taken completely trashed Klipsch speakers and with a bit of time, money, and effort turned them in to treasured heirlooms. I know. I'm one of them.

Again... Please do NOT be tempted to part them out without at least giving someone near you a chance to own, restore, and love them intact.

ANY "working" La Scala pair is well worth $500. Probably a good bit more. I am NOT condoning parting them out but take a look at the math.

K22 woofers @ $100 ea = $200

Total = $800

And these are VERY "low end" prices based on what I see on eBay. On a good day the parts could easily sell at 25% to 50% more than the numbers I used.

What is your intent? Fix them up or dispose of them. Even the worst "beater" La Scalas can be turned in to show pieces with a couple hundred $$ and some time. Take a look around here. You'll find a TON of folks who have taken completely trashed Klipsch speakers and with a bit of time, money, and effort turned them in to treasured heirlooms. I know. I'm one of them.

Again... Please do NOT be tempted to part them out without at least giving someone near you a chance to own, restore, and love them intact.

And if the woofers were to be k-33's or k-43, they would be worth a quarter more

K22 woofers @ $100 ea = $200

Total = $800

Thanks jhoak, I hadn't thought of it that way. Be a shame to part them out but I doubt I could do them justice trying to restore them. So it just might be way easier and end up with more $.

I've got the La Scalas sitting next to the Cornwalls. The Cornwalls are in better shape with deeper bass so the La Scalas gotta go on the chopping block. They (with the help of my Mac 2100, Carver C-4000 and some Sunfire amps) will help pay for a new 5 channel Classe amp for my other system. Woo hoo!

The lowest I've seen were beat to hell with some drivers not working and were still at $400.

As others have said, yours appear to be in at least fair condition. Depending on time you're willing to wait for the right buyer and location, I'd be in a range from $800 to $1200. I'd expect they'd sell in a matter of days for less than $800.

Quitecave, if you wait you should easily get 695. for them I watch a pair of none working dumpster worthy Lascalas(not that I consider any pair of lascalas dumpster worth but you get the point). Go for 650 in Lincoln. Set tight my friend and you well sell them at that price.