Re: Question about HIP's (pics & vid)

Quiet_Hollow

I've got a pair of Heresy Industrials coming this way. '84s with sequential numbers, to pull surround-sound duty.

Took note they were loaded with K-55M's. Very minty on the inside. The wiring appears factory.

Was wondering if the 55M's were, in fact, the normal squawker trim for that year?

In addition, they sport the textured finish with routed edges.

Think it'd affect their value too much to put a satin lacquer or piano black finish on them instead?

They are YOUR speakers, do with them as you please. I have actually sen several pairs finished in Natural Birch and they looked great.

As to the 55M, the year is right for that particular driver. As to whether it was used in this particular Industrial speaker, I can not say. I would venture a guess, as to YES, it is Factory installed.

My HIP's which I used for many years, came stock with 55m's, square 77's and heavy duty woofers and crossovers. I loved these speakers and with the right amp can be very powerful sounding. They lack bass of course, but are very clear and a sub can solve the bass problem easily. I kept mine in the stock finish (which was non-textured black), but they would look good in just about any finish choice. d.

I have two pairs. One pair has k-55-v's, k-77 alinco, an ev evm-12 woofer with a klipsch k-42 logo on it and type E xovers. The other pair has ceramic k-77's, k-55-m's, k-42 cast frame woofers, and HIE xovers. These things were put together with what ever parts klipsch had on their shelves at the time.

What network would be found in a pair of 84 HIP's? Are they ported or sealed boxes? Standard or heavy duty woofer (likely K22 or K42 designation) ?

These ones are HIE with polyfilm caps. Ported, with a big 'ol K42E driver. Nice metal terminal cup and solid, top-mounted handle. I gather, pretty much the same as D's & Speakerfritz's.

I'll make sure to snap a couple of photos, and maybe even a video as soon as they arrive.[:D] For now, it's hurry up and wait.[|-)]

mine are the much older BG type with black fibreglass mat/gel and aluminum corner trim. EVM-12L woofer and older style HIE board with zener diodes. Wonder if the circuit layout is the same? Seems there is a 12 db slope on the tweeter for further protection.

Got them in today. Unwrapped one and quickly fetched the nearest amp on-hand to see how it sounded.

Well this Heresy didn't disappoint, quickly flipping the situation the other way around. Plugged into a beat-up 90's era Sony CFD-580, it became more of a matter of what the ol' boombox electronics sounded like.

Boy it's been a long time since I've heard that much hiss come from an amp...every little movement of the optical pickup could be heard straight through the speaker. Brings back memories of hours spent plunked in front of my Grandfather's JVC listening to FM....that constant "fffffffffffff" in the background.

Back to the Heresy..What I gather from the condition of first one, they'll both need a little housekeeping, but otherwise not too shabby.

Gotta fish an insect cocoon out of one of the squawker throats, and might as well replace the o-rings while I'm in there...Dust off the woofers, check the caps for spec...etc. etc.

Thanks D. I've been scouting for a place to record some video of these things in action. I found a location with awesome room dimensions, unfortunately the noise floor might be kinda high (ventilation) and there's zero acoustic treatment on the side walls. We'll see, it's the best location so far.

I guess what's got me so interested in these is that I can use them test out various speaker arrangements much more effectively.

I'm just impressed by how much equipment is stuffed into these cabinets. The proverbial "Brick Sh*t House" [H]