ALK x-overs for 80's Cornwalls

johnstms92

It's time to order new Networks for my CW project... After thorough reading I'm pretty sure the ALK's will best suit me after reading several comments about superior sound at higher listening levels, which is usually how I listen to my music.. However, I'm unsure of which ALK network will work in my Cornwalls.. I have the k-52 mid and E-33 driver along with the Crites CT-125 tweeters. Is the Universal network the one to work with all CW's? Or which networks do I need?

I am in the same boat as you and I am going back and fourth between ALK and BC. I finally cam to the same conclusion as you, I want to go with ALK's.

as far as which to order, contact them directly and talk to them... they are friendly and will give you the proper info.

That's pretty much what I needed to hear.. I was already pretty certain this was the way to go, and after speaking with Al Klappenberger I am just waiting to give him a call back and put in the order.. However! He raised another peculiar thought in my mind. He also recommended the AP12-600 + ES5800 combo.. Which is a step up from the Cornscala networks.. However its more than twice the price.. So here's what I'm looking to find out.. Is there anyone by some chance who has heard BOTH these networks on a pair of Cornwalls, who can encourage me to either justify the $400 price jump, or tell me I don't need it and the Cornscala Universals will keep me equally as happy without going broke? ANYBODY? [:|]

I most often listen at loud volumes, where I heard the extreme slope does very well.. But perhaps it would be too small of an improvement over the cornscala networks to make it logical for me to put in the extra $400.

Also, if I would decide to change these into cornscala's sometime in the future, having the cornscala networks would make that much easier to do.. hmm, or maybe I ought to just do that now? New ideas...

I can't speak scientifically about this stuff... just my subjective experience. I started out with original ALK Cornwall networks (version 1) and listened to just about all kinds of music. I got the urge to tinker so I got a Fastrac from Gothover. I use the K-55 driver but I believe Gothover or someone built an adapter for the K-52. With the Fastrac, I wished I could play with attenuation with the midrange and/or tweeter but the original ALK didn't allow that. So, with more $ invested, I have listened for a couple of months now using the ES-5800 and AP12-500. (Going to to 500 hz is fine with the Fastrac horn... I'm told not to try 500 hz with the stock horn).

Most of the time I have to keep my listening below 70 db because that is the threshold where I start to bother the family. With the original ALKs I could dial in the volume by ear and be very close to 70 db. With the ES and AP combo my youngest woke up and came in to ask me to turn it down. I was shocked to find that I was listening around 82-84 db! It isn't that these just sound good loud... it is just that it is hard not to turn it up! I don't know what they do to my brain but somehow those networks make me want to keep turning it up and UP!

Just for fun, I picked up some stock B networks that had been upgraded with Sonicaps. I wanted to do this since I had actually never heard Cornwalls with the original networks and felt this would help me recalibrate my ears. I must say there ain't nothing wrong with the original networks and they sound nice with the Fastracs. However, I have found myself turning them down.

Well, the ES/AP combo is going to another project soon so I ordered some Cornscala-wall networks. Give me a couple weeks to listen to the Cornscala-wall networks after they finally get here and I'll offer my comparison. I suspect I'll like them considering those who have been suggesting them! Being able to dial in the attenuation is a big plus.

decisions... decisions...

Another thought... Networks make a bigger difference than I first realized but I'd suggest you visit with Gothover and Greg928gts here on the forum about their wood horns. You don't have to make alterations to your cabinet unless desired. I just set mine on top... made the sweet spot WAY bigger and the sound stage seems well placed.

post-38437-13819712044978_thumb.jpg

post-38437-13819733988588_thumb.jpg

post-38437-13819764714042_thumb.jpg

post-38437-13819791520184_thumb.jpg