LaScala project

ricktate

You can upload pictures one a time (one per post) by using the options tab above, in the Reply Window. Hit options, add/update (you will get the Upload File window, hit browse, select your file on your computer then slide to the right and hit save. The next screen will prompt you to post. You can either post from there or go to the top and chose compose and it will bring you back to the Reply screen. The file size limit for pictures is 250KB so you will probably have to edit them down if you use a high pixel rate camera. Windows Paint will let you resize them.

This pic i tried to show how i smoothed the casting seems it didnt show up to good but you get the idea. Well thats it so far till i get some money saved up ,I got liver transplant bills and medications to buy. But soon to get started i hope. Rick

post-7905-13819711878824_thumb.jpg

post-7905-13819734593642_thumb.jpg

post-7905-13819764550618_thumb.jpg

post-7905-13819791353046_thumb.jpg

Boy is that ever a labor of love. They are looking very good.

Couple of questions. What is the trick to piecing in the veener onto an existing cabinet like that, especially around the floor next to the "wedge". Also, what was the stain on the oak to make it match the cherry veneer. When I use red oak stock, it seldom has that eveness in the color. Was there a conditioner prior to the stain?

Anyhow, you have definitely brought these back to life!

The speaker's look fantastic! Looking forward to seeing them installed. Make sure to post some pictures...

Are the magnets neodymium? Did you also use NEO magnets on the grilles with reversed poles to the speaker poles? I think this is pretty much how Greg does the grilles on the 2012 Volti speakers.

I forgot to say the bottom and the wedge are just sanded and stained with Watco Danish oil in Cherry. The only veneer is top and sides. As for the magnets they came from woodworker supply and are they ever strong no magnets behind the veneer just small metal plate. I chisled out the wood to recess the plate.Thanks for the kind words there will be cherry edging on front to hide the ply-wood layers. Rick

What is the trick to piecing in the veener onto an existing cabinet like that, especially around the floor next to the "wedge".

Tom,

There is no "Secret" to veneering inside the Bass cabinet. if you take your time and cut paper or cardboard templates, it makes sizing the Veneer a breeze. You just have to keep "Trial Fitting" until you get a perfect fit. While it may look very difficult, if you produce accurate templates, it makes it very easy to do. Due to minor construction differences, you can not use the templates between different cabinets, as each one is just a little bit different. When cutting the Veneer, a aixreenth of an inch difference, can ruin a piece of Veneer.

W. C.

• 3 weeks later...