Is this overkill and will it sound right?

skaplaya

My current PCHT Setup is as follows:

Pioneer 16x Dvd drive

Hollywood+ Em8300 Mpeg-2 Decoder w/SPDIF Coax

Midiland ADS-2000 Dolby 5.1 Decoder

Philips Acoustic Edge Sound Card

Furniture Works RB-1 Satellite Stands

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (Center Channel)

Ordered Today:

Thank You 300.00 Klipsch Dealio

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (Front Surrounds)

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (Rear Surrounds)

Ordering Within Next Two Months:

Sony GDM-FW900 24" Widescreen Monitor

So will this be a good system to use for digital 5.1. 6 speakers, three subwoofers, none hooked up to the lfe though, but I think it will sound preety good. At least I hope so. I've been using just the center 2.1's with my ads-2000 and it is awesome, but my 4.2 setup from klipsch was ordered today. I can't wait. But do you guys think this is a good setup? Let me know.

I just have to say this about people who spend tons of cash on their computers to use them as uber home entertainment systems. I just cant see rationalizing such a big expendature on something that isnt't *that* great. If your really serious about DVD's or other music why, why are you using your computer? Invest in a good TV set, and stereo system. No consumer PC sound card or "made of PC" speakers will be able to compare to an even half decent conventional home entertainment system.

-Drew

A lot of people don't like it. Personally however I think the ads-2000 is friggin awesome. Its main neg is the one digital input at a time deal, but its is easy to switch the hollywood+ and acoustic edge if thats what your doing. Personally I recommend running two stereo adapters from the ads-2000 front/surround outs and the rear/surround outs with the acoustic edge or live 5.1 analog outs to get original style 4 speaker out and digital 5.1 style. The remote kicks and where as it ain't as flashy as a receiver for the price, I wouldn't part with it, at least till solo dts thx school decoders are more advanced. Good to hear you joined the club.

On a last note, I have a two year old niece, faboulous with crayons and markers, and a dinky little living room that I call mine with an oversized fireplace and little room to maneuver when living with the folks on a college budget, thus as for the true ht and budgeting deal, a big arse tv is a giant whiteboard for kinds, and with the nice pcht deal, its a tv, radio, gaming system, school workstation, and the whole nine yards consolidated into one concentrated unit. Easily locked up in a cabinet. As for the receiver hooks and such, 5.1 is laggin in the game depts and a receiver where as it will do true 5.1 all the time well, doesn't do the whole 4 speaker eax deal well. So thats the nine yards.

On another note again, the ads-2000 rocks. I just wish the acoustic edge did more than 2 speaker spdif coax output at a time, but heck, maybe its in the works.

Sound is great, and definetely better in my opinion that software without the lag. So magnum do you have a hw+ em8300 or such too? If so let me know. I'm trying to find people with similar setup and interests. Its all good.

Dang though if I could ever sell this extra acoustic edge card I have. Still sealed and everything, but everybody wants to fork the full at the store or something. And I just don't trust ebay these days. Dang capitalists. Well peace out.

Ric

Ya, as long as you have a valid reason for spending so much to make your computer into an entertainment hub, go for it!

I'm not using any klipsch products in my setup (I just went full, blown out HT), and I couldn't be happier (heh, be even happier when my speakers come!). My reasoning behind this is currently, I'm in 1st year college, and still at home. My parents have NO need for a HT on the tv in the living room, but I want HT sound. Therefore, I started building computers for friends/family, saved all my pennies, and am spending about 1400 Can. on my sound system alone. Now, at least in the comfort of my own room, I will be able to enjoy the fruits of my labour, and so will anyone else who wishes to enter my room smile.gif

While I might not be going as far as purchasing a 24" screen for my system, I'll be picking up the Viewsonic PF790 in a little while, which isn't really a bad purchase.

Anyone else out there spending extremely large quantities of money on their computers?

I love spending money on my computer. I used to have a $1200 HT, but I sold most of it to pay for bills. Now I'm just starting to build up a new HT just for my computer. I just need a new monitor, sound card and 2 more sets of 2.1's.

But yeah, I think 3 sets of the pro 2.1's would be a kick butt HT system for your computer. 3 sets is what I plan having.