Rescued Dog Digs Bill Evans!!!!

fenderbender

Well as you can all tell from my avatar I'm a bulldog person....

short version..... We had to put down one of my females a few months ago at only 5.... tragic.... well the other day I was at the breeders home of my "Nola" and who's sitting in a crate? Nola's Sire and the resemblance was uncany.... Anyway the breeder ask's " do you want him??? he's just rotting in that crate and no one wants an old bulldog"

He's got a ton of medical problems but who cares, he's sweet as sugar, so we brought him home yesterday .... normal jockeying for alpha position with my other dogs but my others chilled soon, but our new dog "Spencer" won't calm down... all day panting, pacing... all afternoon...all early evening.... not good for Bulldogs to get so stressed...

play with him, massage him, but Spencer is confused as he spent the last 8 years in a crate in my breeders home...... I don't want to resort to dugs so i say to myself " fenderbender.... what relaxes you after a stressful day.... Jazz trio... Bill Evans!!!

On goes "Everyone Digs Bill Evans" Spencer sits down by my side and 30 seconds into Peace Piece, he flopps over and starts snorring!!! two hours later I let him out then off to his crate for the night and he sleeps all night!!!

This afternoon more of the same anxiety.... about two minutes into tenderly...flopps over and is still snorrrrrring away!!!! Can't be a coincidence!!!

the real explanation probably is that Bill Evans relaxes me, so Spencer senses me calming down and he relaxes and goes to sleep...... Either way, my new bull dog digs bill evans

Glad about the dog rescue and all, but......... How can people keep dogs in crates for any length of time? I've had 2 rescue greyhounds and they were terrified of being kenneled. I do my best to keep from having to put my pets in such circumstances. Sorry for the downer but when you wrote that this animal had been crated for most of an 8 year time span my heart just ached. That's just not right for any reason. Glad he's finally allowed to move freely.

Glad about the dog rescue and all, but......... How can people keep dogs in crates for any length of time? I've had 2 rescue greyhounds and they were terrified of being kenneled. I do my best to keep from having to put my pets in such circumstances. Sorry for the downer but when you wrote that this animal had been crated for most of an 8 year time span my heart just ached. That's just not right for any reason. Glad he's finally allowed to move freely.

Makes my heartache... All my dogs love crates, the only time they were ever closed was until about 5-6 months old, and then only at night or while everyone was out of the house... never for more than a couple of hours and really only for there protection, as not to get into anything that could harm them while unattended....

Now they all go in unsolicited to nap or sleep for the night.... it is there little bedroom... they have the run of the house and still choose to go into there crate to sleep....

I understand when you have thirty odd dogs they need to be contained but they should at least have a big run to romp and play in most of the day... kills me to see such wonderful loving dogs confined to a space barely big enough to turn around in!!!!

I'm glad we added Spencer to our family, could have gotten a new pup, but there always be plenty of those... only one spencer and he deserves love and affection and the run of the entire house and yard in his remaining years!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Your dog certainly has great taste, well in music I mean.

I've noticed all my dogs seem to like certain music. Our first dog Esposito (border collie/husky mix) used to like the Talking Heads. He died the day after Stevie Ray Vaughan did.

Our next dog Shapiro (border collie/malamute) who always seemed to have an attitude problem loved the blues, Stevie Ray Vaughan in particular. (spooky connection?) In fact one day when my wife and Shapiro were with me the listening room, when my wife got up and left Shapiro curiously stayed in the room (he always followed her). The radio was on. Dave Bowie's "Let's Dance" was playing and Shapiro didn't leave. As soon as the song was over he got up and left. Yep, sure enough, Stevie Ray Vaughan played on that album. How he recognized that still bewilders me because even I didn't realize SRV was on there at the time. On the other hand Shapiro definitely didn't like Pink Floyd ~ he would stay if my wife was in the room but hide behind the couch. Tool, forget it. He would get paralyzed, just lay there until he threw-up, no kidding. This happened 3 times. After that I made sure he wasn't in the room when I played Tool.

My current best friend Ralph (labradoodle), now he likes Led Zeppelin, in parrticular "Four Sticks", he comes running down the stairs and zooms around the room like crazy and then goes into a "spin". He also likes Walt Disney-type tunes like The Lion King. He'll lay right in front of the speakers listening to those.