Unexpected tool death......

oscarsear

You can ask about my power washer. You can ask about my 2 garbage disposals, the mower and air blower. Don't ask about the Weed Eater. She's gone. I knew her well. Extremely well. I had mended her housing with duct tape, many times over. I knew how to quickly respool her line. I could do it blindfolded. It was a blue colored line. I had not planned on yard work this day. But the weather was threatening. And so with some disgruntlement I went for the lawns. I do not trim them each time I mow and I mow twice a week. This day was a 'trim' day. She was flying along good as when new, grass blades flying all over. Then the sound went dull and her super powers dimmed. She was struggling. I finished one side of the front lawn and smelled that awful smell. Electric motor burn-out. She was done for. She never whirred another whir. Oh, the calamity, I thought. She was so damned young. And then I thought not. She had outlasted my 2nd marriage and a lawn mower. And so I proceeded to finish the lawns. They look all raggedy with their un-sculptured edges. On the upside tomorrow is trash day and I had to go to Home Depot anyway.

I finished one side of the front lawn and smelled that awful smell. Electric motor burn-out. She was done for.

I never trusted women that needed to be plugged in to turn on. I go for women who prefer gas tossed into the fire!

[^o)]

• Moderators

I never trusted women that needed to be plugged in to turn on. I go for women who prefer gas tossed into the fire!

Who are you kidding, all they need is earlobes and your ready. [:o]

Sorry to hear about the weadeater, I hate em.

I always hated the line spindal, could never get more line reloaded very well. I switched to those hard plastic knives that you attach to attack weeds, they are much easier to change. An unexpected benefit is the nice gash they open up on your shine if you don't pay attention.

I mow and trim SERE (Surivival) on the AFB. The string trimmer I use is a commercial Shindaiwa T242. Small, light and ballsy...perfect for improved grass. You can go almost 2 hours on a tank of gas.

There should be some good electric/battery type string trimmers for residential use.

Two hours on a tank of gas? Man, I'm lucky if my Echo goes 20-30 minutes.

Today was a downpour. Soaking wet grass and standing water. I noticed from the resistance/load factor of trimming wet grass really sucks down the fuel. The amount of growth is another load factor.

Almost two hours. A hour and 45 minutes in the right conditions.

I lost my 14 y/o ryobi 2 cycle last summer, I blame the ethanol...

You bet. Use only straight gasoline in your small engines if you have a choice. I am fortunate to have pretty wide access to straight 87 regular gasoline here, and that's all any of my engines see. I have small engines that outlasted the units they were in, like my Lawn Boy mower, where I found a local repair shop with a lightly used deck, and just dropped the engine into that.

It is also good to "run out" the gas during "off seasons" (for you winter folks), and keep fresh gas stocked. I disconnect the gas tank and hose and flush both out annually. Use Sta-Bil to keep the gas fresh if necessary (if you store it more than a month or two).

I use electric tools. I've Seen too many gas related burn accidents come into ER's. And I'm not working a farm so the work is rather manageable with battery or cable powered devices. Got a new grass trimmer. I must say I had no idea how loud my old one was. Redid the lawns. Happy for now.

I use electric tools. I've Seen too many gas related burn accidents come into ER's. And I'm not working a farm so the work is rather manageable with battery or cable powered devices. Got a new grass trimmer. I must say I had no idea how loud my old one was. Redid the lawns. Happy for now.

That is a great point. People should know their own capabilities.[Y]