Pre-Wiring during construction of house - need advice

TurboGen

Hey guys, wife and I are building a house and the basement will be completely finished. This is going to be the home for the dedicated media space.

I want to run wires in the walls before the drywall goes up and I want some advice for what to use, where to buy, perhaps some guidence from those who experienced this already.

What should I use for the speaker wires? I would like to have some wire plates on the walls so I just plug the speakers right into them. I plan to put the surrounds on the wall. Also, I plan to install projector in the near future so I would need to pre-wire HMDI cable for that as well as power outlet for projector?

Any advice for keeping this cost effective, I want to keep this on a tight budget but I want this to be a one time deal. Thanks for any advice!!

Use monoprice.com for wires. Great prices and great quality. For long runs to your surrounds, 12ga wire would be optimal but 14ga can be a compromise. Use in-wall speaker wire. Different insulation and designed to meet coding requirements.

General guide for side surrounds is bottom of the speaker at ear height when sitting in your primary listening position. Also a rough 2ft behind your LP.

Excellent! I will get some of this CL2 in bulk. I'll check my local electric contract store first see if a buddy can get me a roll of this for cheap. If not I did find some online at 12guage at a price of $30 for 100ft. I'm trying to figure out if I should use wall speaker plates and if I should position them closer to the ground or ceiling.

From personal experience remodeling my man cave.

0. Plan, plan, and plan.... :)

1. Decide surround mode; eg, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1
Whether you need it now, I'd go 7.1 now; eg, 2 main, 1 center, 2 side
surrounds, 2 back surround, and 1 sub

2. Determine listening mode; eg, TrueHD or THX
This will help determine your speaker placements.

3. Identify speaker cables to use.
I used Monster Cable CL2 all around.

4. Create a diagram of your room in 2D and identify speaker locations based on step 1
above. Here, you will setup your speaker wall plates based on step 2 above.

5. Identify your power outlet locations.
I have power outlet in all corners.

6. Be sure to label your cables on all ends; eg, Left Front, Right Front, etc.
Also keep polarity in mind otherwise, you'll have speakers out-of-phase, etc.

7. Test all connections before drywalling.

I've attached a picture of my setup showing plates.

post-28146-13819712249204_thumb.jpg

post-28146-13819734197278_thumb.jpg

post-28146-13819764915002_thumb.jpg

post-28146-1381979172673_thumb.jpg

Excellent feedback!! Thank you guys so much!! I'll start figuring out how much wire I will need and add a good excess amount on top of that. I'll go with the 12 gauge that way it's sufficient for anything in the future. I just have to plan where the seating will be and where the speakers will go according to that.

Should I be aware of anything else when going about this construction?

btw, I figured about 150ft would be plenty for my space. I'm only running 4 surrounds in the wall, the fronts I'll run outside of the walls. I'll prolly order 200ft total. Just so I have extra. I might run some secondary zone speakers, I have not decided yet. But the 200ft is going to run me about $60.

Next time I do it I will install blank wall plates (color of wall) at both wall hanger height and floor stander height at both the sides and rears for speaker wire.Then when I get those all in I can have the option to use my wall hangers or floor standers. I will also do the same for front heights and wides. Same goes for several places of RG-6 for the sub.

Speaker wire and quad shield RG-6 is cheap! Wall plates can get up there but you can switch the plates and blank offs between spots.

2nd the Monoprice and shipping is quick.

If there is a chance you might bi-amp certain speakers, you should run 4 wire CL2 or double 2 wire CL2 to those units. The last system I put in, I saved a few bucks by running a 4 wire CL2 to the rear, and splitting it into two 2 wire cables in the back wall.