Pairing Quintets with Floor Standing Speakers?!

TurboGen

Hey guys, I have been considering moving to smaller surround speakers, they would be replacing bookshelf speakers. This is only a thought in my head at the moment, it would depend if my bookshelf speakers would be ideal size for the space or not.

the only this is, I do not want to get rid of my floor standing speakers, however I don't know how this would sound/work having large speakers and small speakers. I don't know if the quintets would sound right or if they would receive too much power compared to the floor standing speakers.

btw, my setup is a 7.1 and all surrounds would be wall mounted.

• Moderators

I would say it would depend on what floor standers you have. If it's something on the small side and the room is not to big and you don't listen loud you may get by OK ?

If not, what you said may be a problem, you don't want to push a Quintet hard just to keep up with the other speakers. It wouldn't be good for the speaker and would not sound good straining to keep up.

When I first brought my VF 35 towers, I use the satellites from the HD 500 for surround and front height speakers. It did not work well. A week later I brought the Klipsch WDST(surround) speakers that made a night and day difference. I eventually mover the HD 500 to the basment for a HT in a smaller space.

For the better part of two years, I used RSX-4's as surrounds with my RF-63/RC-64 combo. I thought they mated up very well together. Now the RSX-4 with it's 4 inch woofer is not as big sounding as the RS-35 with it's 6 inch woofer, but as far a timbre matching, they were close.

Bill

Well, I am hoping I can just stick with the bookshelf speakers, but I'm creating a dedicated area in a small space so I didn't want to put large speakers around the room but I'll see when I get it all setup. If the bookshelves are too big I'll swap everything to smaller speakers like the quintets.