Adding pro subs to my Klipsch HT / party room

dtximages

Ok I have my man cave HT set up in my basement (concret slab, 3 cinder block walls) so bass is a huge issue. Due to the geometry of the room I'm experiencing things that only an engineer could counter. But I actually use this room mainly to watch concert dvds and for cardio dancing with my wife (please stop looking at me that way shes a trainer and making me mix fun with exercise).

Anyway, my velodyn hgs 18 is rather dead in this room. I was at a wedding last weekend and they had two JBL subs (each had 2 18" i believe) and the bass was so invovled and powerful. Sure it probably didnt drop to 20hz, but it was VERY punchy and "fun".

My mains are Klipsch Chorus II on the bottom with Klipsch Forte II on the top.

I would set the pro subs next to each speaker.

What would you recommend? I guess i need an external amp. Is it important which amp? How so it hook this up to my harman kardon receiver?

Sorry if yall pro audio experts are annoyed at me crowding your forum haha.

Thanks for any advice.

• 1 month later...

most of the DJ subs dont go much below 40 hz but for music that is plenty - as you could tell by the sound. sounds like what you need is simply A LOT more energy in the 40 - 100 hz region and a couple big bass towers with 500+watts/speaker will do the trick. I personally like QSC amps for the vast amount of power you can get for the money.

the QSC amp I had in the past had regular RCA inputs like any other amp so I hooked it up that way

i run 2 kpt-484 subs. they each have only one 18" in each box and i run them with 250 watts each and wow they hit. its fast and hard. I dont feel the need to have my sub go all the way down in the low 20's. the best thing to do is if you can rent some subs from a music store near you with a few amps and see what works best for you and your room

good luck and feel the power of klipsch[H]

yes somewhat - but the DJ/professional subs will hit much harder in the region that music and most bass lives. HT subs are designed to play down very low 20 - 25hz and just cannot keep up in the critical 40 - 80 hz region the beast DJ subs can

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...