Update!!! Getting back on the workout wagon

It occurred to me a few weeks ago that I had not worked out on a consistent basis since before I got married last July. I finally took a good look at myself in the mirror and I was pretty disgusted. So I threw out all the crap food, went to the store to get all the healthy stuff, and now I am in the middle of week 3 of P90X and now I'm feeling pretty awesome. I've already lost 12.5 pounds, and I'm starting to see some decent change in the mirror. Luckily the wife is working out with me so I'll have some one to hold me accountable for those days I find myself wanting to down a whole bag of oreo's.

I'll have some one to hold me accountable for those days I find myself wanting to down a whole bag of oreo's.

I say go for it, we offered up a challenge at work to finish a bag of oreos in 30 mins with 1 glass of milk for a small prize, it was finished with barely time to spare by 1 person, you wouldn't beleive how bad those things actually are for you in that type of capacity. With speaking to the person afterwards and looking at the package nutrition facts they are ungodly bad for you if not eaten in moderation. The real winners were those who didn't finish the package and got to watch that person suffer afterwards [6]

On a side note keep up the good work and enjoy the extra energy benefits

P90X? That's hard core. [Y]

I took the lazy-man's route last September...Cut out all sugar and starches in any form from the 'ol diet. Lost 15 pounds in two months and I was extra lazy around the house just to see how far the absence of the carbs would change things. No running, no extra long walks, no weights, and plenty of time spent in front of the DVR and in the books...still shaved the pounds off regardless. Hardest part of all, was ditching breakfast.

Hardest part of all, was ditching breakfast.

That's the one meal you should eat... My wife usually cooks my breakfast, and a common meal would be one bratwurst, two eggs, rice and brocolli. Orange juice and milk. Lunch is a smaller version, and supper is very light, many times as a salad. My weight stays right around 150, and has for the past few years.

We drink almost zero soda, avoid HFCS and artificial sweeteners as much as possible. Coffee and tea with no sugar. Very little salt is added to the food.

Bruce

That's the one meal you should eat...

Arguably so, but when one's breakfast consisted almost entirely of carbs (oatmeal, breads, juice, milk, cereals, syrup) it had to go.

A brief pre-breakfast workout or walk will boost the metabolism, for most of the day. Skipping breakfast lowers the metabolism, because your body goes into a sort starvation mode, where it thinks it needs to store energy (fat) for later.

Thanks guys! P90X is pretty tough. My wife and I did it once before a couple year ago with some great results, however we didn't stay with it, and I kick myself for letting that happen. The eating right has been the most difficult thing for me, but now that I've gotten over that hump of wanting bad foods all the time, eating right isn't as bad. And to each his own for dieting. One thing that I have definitely learned, is that everyone's body is different and will react accordingly to whatever the diet is. For me I have a super slow metabolism, and since I work so early in the morning (have to be at work at 4 am) I usually put down a shake and a banana to get my stomach started, then have egg whites, with one small piece of whole grain toast dry and part of an apple for breakfast, then I have other things through out the day to keep my metabolism going. My big goal here is to not only loose the weight but to make an overall life style change with my eating habits. Diabetes is a scary thing and I was seeing myself down that path if I didn't start changing something soon. Plus my wife and I are looking to have kids in the near future, and I want us to be able to set a good example for them.

• 1 month later...

Well I am closing in towards the end of my first round of P90X. To date I have lost 24 lbs and I feel amazing. It has been some crazy hard work but it has all finally paid off. I'm even getting compliments from customers I don't see on a regular basis about how much weight I have lost. I have to give some big up's to my wife, she has been awesome about keeping me on track with my workouts and eating healthy, this would not of been as easy without her. Believe it or not I'm actually excited for starting round two. I'm at 193 right now, and I would like to get down to 180-185. And thanks again for the words of encouragement everyone! [:D]

My wife and I did P90X about a year and a half ago. It really does work. About a month after we finished, the late spring 6 on 6 soccer league started. I signed up (have been playing for 38 years) and got 2 games under my belt before I tore cartiledge in my right knee. It was my 3'rd knee surgery on that leg and ended up leaving me where I couldn't run anymore. I haven't worked out since and feel like crap. I'd always stayed in shape by running and don't really have a passion for much else. I desperately need to find something to get my heart rate back up. For now it's long walks with the dog. I may even try a couple of P90X discs like core or yoga to ease back into something.

I haven't worked out since and feel like crap. I'd always stayed in shape by running and don't really have a passion for much else. I desperately need to find something to get my heart rate back up.

Can you do a bicycle? I had friend who had torn up his knee, and was recommended cycling by his doctor. He could do that where other excercises were not possible.

Bruce

I haven't worked out since and feel like crap. I'd always stayed in shape by running and don't really have a passion for much else. I desperately need to find something to get my heart rate back up.

Can you do a bicycle? I had friend who had torn up his knee, and was recommended cycling by his doctor. He could do that where other excercises were not possible.

Bruce

I can, BUT, I can't stand a stationary bike and there's not a lot of good places to ride around my house. I know, I'm just making excuses.........

Swimming is supposed to be a good low impact excersize also but I'm not big on that either. I've run all my life for sport, enjoyment or exercise. I't's hard to switch gears. I've got that whole old dog/ new trick thing going on.

Dam that is really good. I've had three false starts at running again. My running method is to go to the park find some cute girl runners and just try to keep up... I usually can't until I've been running a few months. I'm going to the Bahamas in November so I don't want to gross out the locals in my speedo. Gotta hit the trails.

• Moderators

I desperately need to find something to get my heart rate back up.

I found what works best is aerobics, [:o] the best way is to just bring a chair and sit in the back and watch, with the right class your hart rate will be going crazy. [Y]

Bruce

That is where I am currently at. Having just come off of knee surgery (tore up my ACL while skiing this past winter). Before the skiing accident, I was lifting weights at the gym three times a week, not to mention all the hiking that I love to do along the river, as well as riding my bike into work.

Now, I cannot do any of that at the time. However, I did take up swimming laps at the pool, though. Also, I did manage some short hikes along the river.

I finally took a good look at myself in the mirror and I was pretty disgusted.

Working out to reduce weight is laughable, boring and will not work, unless you run a marathon every day and also have a boner for it.

If you want to lose weight you have to eat alot less. It's call reducing portion size.

It's an alien concept because no one ever made money on people cutting back consumption.

Most physicians don't even tell people to cut back, they don't care either. It''s easy to get you on the BP meds, Lipitor, blood tests, schedules and they make money (about $60 for every blood test!).

Look at the numbers-

Say you want to cut 500 cals/day from your diet - You can spend 1.5hr/day on a treadmill busting your a$$ OR lay-off that second helping of deep fired chicken. It's that simple.

Sugar is a killer, coffee and cereal are great places to introduce 200-300 cals/day of carbos associated with sugar. STOP using sugar, drink coffeee, tea without it. Use fruits to sweeten non sugared cereals

Snacks between meals-fruits, nuts.

What is weight goal? The BMI chart is simple, if your below 25 your numbers will, statisitically, be very good.

Another way, even easier for guy are visble veins, there all over your body just below the surface of the skin. If you BMI is <25 many of them are visible on the body, legs, inner forearms, abdomen, crotch, etc. If you can't see them, your too fat.

When you cut back, the refrig starts filling up with left-overs! No left-overs then you or other family memebrs (or all of you) are fat.

People are ******* huge, everywhere. It's getting bizarre.

One other thing-

3600 cals = 1lb fat

So cutting 200 cals/day = 73000 cals/yr OR 20lbs of weight loss/year!

I finally took a good look at myself in the mirror and I was pretty disgusted.

Working out to reduce weight is laughable, boring and will not work, unless you run a marathon every day and also have a boner for it.

If you want to lose weight you have to eat alot less. It's call reducing portion size.

It's an alien concept because no one ever made money on people cutting back consumption.

Most physicians don't even tell people to cut back, they don't care either. It''s easy to get you on the BP meds, Lipitor, blood tests, schedules and they make money (about $60 for every blood test!).

Look at the numbers-

Say you want to cut 500 cals/day from your diet - You can spend 1.5hr/day on a treadmill busting your a$$ OR lay-off that second helping of deep fired chicken. It's that simple.

Sugar is a killer, coffee and cereal are great places to introduce 200-300 cals/day of carbos associated with sugar. STOP using sugar, drink coffeee, tea without it. Use fruits to sweeten non sugared cereals

Snacks between meals-fruits, nuts.

What is weight goal? The BMI chart is simple, if your below 25 your numbers will, statisitically, be very good.

Another way, even easier for guy are visble veins, there all over your body just below the surface of the skin. If you BMI is <25 many of them are visible on the body, legs, inner forearms, abdomen, crotch, etc. If you can't see them, your too fat.

When you cut back, the refrig starts filling up with left-overs! No left-overs then you or other family memebrs (or all of you) are fat.

People are ******* huge, everywhere. It's getting bizarre.

One other thing-

3600 cals = 1lb fat

So cutting 200 cals/day = 73000 cals/yr OR 20lbs of weight loss/year!

Not sure what you are getting at, but my working out includes a diet plan that I've been on that has helped out tremendously. It is true though that working out alone wont get a persons weight down, but never exercising and not using your muscles especially if you're trying to get stronger is just as laughable. But thanks for your input anyway.