Danley, big horns, small room...

Serge_S

Chris, surely you know I've already been there done that on this.............a long time ago

artto,

Unfortunately, I wasn't addressing your needs, but the OP's...

Chris

That may be, but niether you or I know how that system at the OmniMax is set up. They gave a presentation about it before the movie, obviously very proud of their setup. Honestly I after their pitch (and I had no idea who the manufacturer was at that point, I called them later and asked) I was expecting better. All I can say is that we can rest assured that one of Danley's professional sound contractors install the system, its featured on Danley's website portfolio. What, if anything happened after that I don't know.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That may be, but niether you or I know how that system at the OmniMax is set up. They gave a presentation about it before the movie, obviously very proud of their setup. Honestly I after their pitch (and I had no idea who the manufacturer was at that point, I called them later and asked) I was expecting better. All I can say is that we can rest assured that one of Danley's professional sound contractors install the system, its featured on Danley's website portfolio. What, if anything happened after that I don't know.

I'm a little more reserved in my opinions about the tapped horns (having lived with one for three years) and having listened to most of Danley's product on-site at their showroom. I don't believe either example (the youtube video or the Omnimax) is truly indicative of their actual performance. Like Chris has alluded to, they are quite particular about how they are to be setup...unfortunately, botching that is the easiest thing to do. [:(]

Thanks for the link djk, I didn’t notice
SH-95 before. I was looking at SM-96
because of its lower LF response in comparison to other Danleys (as low as
LaScala’s). I don’t need bass below
40-50Hz as the neighbors on the other side of a thin wall had a baby not long
ago. I’d like to avoid chest thumping
bass effect as I have no idea how it would affect the baby, so no subs for
me. For the same reason I have not
considered Cornwalls.

"There is some truth to the assertion that, the smaller the listening room, the larger the speaker that you need."

This is something I have been turning over for the past year. Might give me enough reason to keep Belles and not go to the Heresy in the basement room. 11x15 not couting a bay window protrusion.

I think they sound really good down here.

Thanks Dennie. I will try to audition the
Danleys. I may ****** LaScalas if they come my way regardless of what I
decide with Danleys.

Smart thinking. The 3 way all horn speaker is just amazing! yes.gif

Dennie

Thanks Mossy bottom. I see that you have HIII's as well. How do you
like them? I've read a user review somewhere that said HIII has seamless driver
integration. Subjectively, when you are listening what is your
perception of how low they go in comparison to LS.

• Moderators

With the new baby next door I would not look at a Danely sub or any other, unless set really mildly. LaScalas, Belles, Chorus ll's, Forte ll's and Cornwalls, all would work great in that room...if you ran across good deals.

But your right a couple people have the 305, also a few different designs similar. It does take up some room and requires a whole level higher in lunacy, and no neighbors. [Y]

Have fun

Thanks artto. The less spraying - the better. I am set on horns.

Too
bad I didn't know about the Chicago Museum of Science installation (or about the existence of Danleys). Until about 2
years ago I did job related trips to Chicago for 6 years in a raw.

Thanks Chris. Funny you should mention using Jubilee's bass bin. I had a similar thought some time ago that in larger space than mine Volti Audio's big bass horn would've been a good fit with Danleys (I never heard either, was just day dreaming). I don't see that big horn on Volti's page anymore though. It looked similar to Jubilee's.

Wayfarer,

Pardon my inability to find the right adjectives to describe the HIII's and LaScala's low end capabilities. I am not in to the technical side of all this. My expertise is more along the single malt scotch, with some Chet Baker on the old Linn Sondek LP 12 school of thought.

But I am truly impressed with the HIII's. They reproduce music the way I love to hear it.

The low end comes across very well. The range of this small speaker is quite remarkable. Plenty of low end for my taste.

They fill my rather small music room perfectly. The sound staging is fantastic.

Then I bought a pair of 1988 LS's. I was so surprised at how well they reproduced the bottom end.

As great as the HIII's are, the LS's are that much better!

I'm sure they would sound better in a larger room, but that only gives me something to look forward to, because they are simply incredible. I couldn't be any more pleased.

To recap, HIII's in a small room are great. Bottom to top end.

LS's are by far better still.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

I went to Danley's place in Georgia once. I went specirically to hear their bass horn. I went without notifying them. Seems the prior week they yanked most of their equipment out for a demo show somewhere and when I popped up, most of it was back in place.....except the tapped bass horns were yet working.

Be it as it may, he went ahead & told me to sit down and they'd go through some paces.

I ended up hearing the SH50 (60?) the single horn boxes with multiple entry drivers.

I personally found it sounding very good but missing a bit on the bottom end so it would have to have some reinforcement on the bottom. As good as it did sound, (and perhaps I'm suffering simple bias) I did not feel as though it bested the sound of the Jubilee's.

For my ears, the Jubilee's as a 2-way speaker had a better range of sound, sounded better.....and were less expensive for a pair of them (electronics not included for either brand).

This was different rooms, electronics, personal bias (?) and any other disclaimers that we can think of.

I did however, try to go in with an open mind. I was bummed that their tapped horn sub wasn't working. They played the Spud sub which was sitting under the couch. For me it was an epic failure of weirdness. The couch was vibrating at a magnicificant level BUT.... I couldn't feel a commensurante amount of vibes anywhere else. It was a very skewed experience.

They then turned on some of their big subs (perhaps largest in the room) and WHOA, now it was a whole different experience. Now the hairs on my arms were dancing around and the potatoes I had eaten the night before were now becoming mashed potatoes in my stomach. [:o]

I really got a kick out of the big subs that I was listening to. That made it even worse that I couldn't hear the tapped horn sub.

I, too, am not technical in nature, so take my comments as such. :)

As many of you know, I use 3 LaScala along with a pair of the Danley DTS10 subs. I've also been to the Danley showroom (errrr, warehouse) and have spent about 4-6 hours listening to most of their lineup.

Regarding the subs. I agree with Quiet Hollow in that the negative experiences described are not typical. There was something in the setup or chain that wasn't optomized. I've had several "audiophile" type come over and drop their jaws listening to music. Maybe they didn't want to hurt my feelings? I don't know... And for theater use, they are just ridiculous. Coytee's mashed potatoe comments have been verified by several guests at my place. They claim that they literally feel their organs being rearranged. One went to the bathroom saying they were going to vomit after a heavy base demo. Maybe that's not a compliment! LOL

For the mains, none of the under 10k per cabinet options at Danley made significant improvements over LaScalas and Khorns. Maybe for the guys with spidey senses, but not for me. Now, the largest of their options were definitely amazing, but you're looking at 20 times the budget and more space than any of us have to spare.

I love Danley, but my demo left me more impressed with the value in LS and Khorns.

Coytee's mashed potatoe comments have been verified by several guests at my place. They claim that they literally feel their organs being rearranged.

I remember that one clip from Flight of the Phoenix that you played where I felt like I should roll in my seat to compensate for what was going on in my innards :)

Thanks Coytee.

I did however, try to go in with an open mind. I was bummed that their tapped horn sub wasn't working. They played the Spud sub which was sitting under the couch. For me it was an epic failure of weirdness. The couch was vibrating at a magnicificant level BUT.... I couldn't feel a commensurante amount of vibes anywhere else. It was a very skewed experience.

I bet Spud is made w/HT in mind only.

Thanks tragusa3

For the mains, none of the under 10k per cabinet options at Danley made significant improvements over LaScalas and Khorns. Maybe for the guys with spidey senses, but not for me. Now, the largest of their options were definitely amazing, but you're looking at 20 times the budget and more space than any of us have to spare.

Did you have a chance to listen to their newer SM line? SM-96 or SM-60F

Thanks Don

I had a pair of Lascalas in a room with 11 X 18 foot dimensions some years back, and the sound quality was fabulous. I have not heard any Danley Sound Lab products, but I recently heard some Yorkville Unity PA speakers that use a Danley designed Unity horn for mids and highs and a 15" vented bass. This was probably the best small sound reinforcement system I've heard. They were very clear, undistorted, and sounded the same wherever you were in the building. Those might make a good home speaker, from what I heard.

I've seen postings for used Yorkvilles relatively cheap. They've been around for some time. Too many choices...