Crossover

lflorack

I recently upgraded my HT System with a pair of RF-83's and a RC-64. Wonderful speakers! I'm stll in the process of tweaking the sound. While I use YPAO on my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver to get some starting-point settings, the results are just that and I've needed to change them. I'm currently working on the crossover point. YPAO set it variously at 80 or 90 Hz. Here's the frequency response for my speakers:

Speaker Position(s) Freq Response
Klipsch RF-83 L/R Front 29 Hz-21kHz ± 3dB
Klipsch RC-64 Center 62 Hz-21 kHz ± 3dB
Klipsch RVX-54 L/R Sorround
75 Hz-20 kHz ±3dB
Klipsch RSX-5 L/R Rear 87 Hz-20 kHz ± 3dB
RSW-10D Sub-woofer 24-120 Hz

80 Hz is standard and would encompass all 'small' speakers above except for a bit of the the rears -- but perhaps this is not much of an issue. 90Hz would cover even the backs but cut off more of the very capable fronts -- and a gian, maybe having a small hole on the backs isn't important.

I know it's a matter of testing/listening but am wondering if there are any standard bits of wisdom on this. TIA

Lee

• Moderators

but am wondering if there are any standard bits of wisdom

Probably not from me. [;)]

Welcome

I wonder what the receiver does, does it use the speaker which produces the least amount of bass as a crossover point ? I don't know.

Is the lfe channel everything below the crossover point, or a separate channel just with the lower bass which the crossover point just sends to different speakers ? never really understood how that worked

If the receiver has a single frequency for all speakers, then I'd go 80 Hz. If they can be different for each pair and center, then i would try 40 and 60 Hz on the mains.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the receiver has a single cutover frequency for all speakers. I've currently got it set for 80, thinking that the small hole in the back speakers isn't a big deal.

• Moderators

I've currently got it set for 80, thinking that the small hole in the back speakers isn't a big deal.

I wouldn't think so either, you should have enough bass from the rest to not miss anything.

but am wondering if there are any standard bits of wisdom

Probably not from me. Wink

Welcome

Thank you!

I wonder what the receiver does, does it use the speaker which produces the least amount of bass as a crossover point ? I don't know.

Is the lfe channel everything below the crossover point, or a separate channel just with the lower bass which the crossover point just sends to different speakers ? never really understood how that worked

I've run YPAO (Yamaha's Audio Calibration software) several times and the crossover has been set to both 80 and 90 during different sessions.

According to the manual, in addition to what's on the LFE channel that goes to the Subwoofer, setting the crossover point at 80 (or whever) sends all sound for any speakers designated as "small" below 80 Hz to the Subwoofer as well. How the calibration software determines what that crossover point should be is unknown to me.

The specs for the speakers are a guideline. You may get + or - those numbers in your home. With the roll-off I don't think you will have an audio hole. Your autocalibration program sets the x-o to your speakers respone in your home. Enjoy!

The specs for the speakers are a guideline. You may get + or - those numbers in your home. With the roll-off I don't think you will have an audio hole. Your autocalibration program sets the x-o to your speakers respone in your home. Enjoy!

Sounds reasonable to me! After listening to the speakers and to advise here and elsewhere, I've decided to leave the crossover set at 80 Hz. Thanks for your response.

Sounds reasonable to me! After listening to the speakers and to advise here and elsewhere, I've decided to leave the crossover set at 80 Hz. Thanks for your response.

Good, you don't want to handicap your mains to overcompensate for surrounds, and you might start to notice where the bass comes from above 80 Hz.

Very nice looking system. I love the stand for the components and center speaker!Yes

Thank you! The A/V furniture is by Salamander under their Synergy Line.

Many of my components used to be where he center speaker is now, but due to the size increase of new versus previous center speaker, I had to move them to the enclosed door area underneath. The DVDs/BlueRays and CD's that were down there are now in a pile on the floor. I have ordered a single-width storage 'cabinet' that exactly matches the A/V furniture to hold all of it. It should be in soon and I'll set it up and then take a full set of pictures of everything.