Need a new receiver

roaddog359

The ref series started as two woofers, then went to three.The original was in much more demand so back to two.Get an HK 3600 and enjoy those speakers.

Fish, why would 2 woofers be in more demand than 3 woofers? I would think 3 would have been more in demand? I guess it shows what I know about audio. My umc-1 is dropping here tomorrow (wednesday)

The 83 's just did not have the fan base of the 7 's, the 7 's had/have a very loyal following.I like the 83 's fine but the 7 's are special.The 7 was brought back by popular demand.

From my understanding, the RF-83s are known to not sound very Klipschlike. So for anyone who previously loved the Klipsch sound, the RF-83s probably weren't going to be as appealing as the 7s. That being a good or bad thing is dependent on the listener.

I got final confirmation that you can indeed turn on the amps using the zone 2/3 12v outputs, you just have to turn the zones on to turn the amps on, and apparently turn the zones off as well to turn the amps off. Not that big of a deal, but it appears that my harmony remote doesn't have the zone buttons in the device menu. Maybe it's possible to set up turning on/off the other zones as part of an activity. I might have to mess around with the remote a little to see if it's possible (I'm guessing it is...). So the onkyo isn't out for me just yet. Edit: I don't see the zone buttons as options to put into the harmony remote. Ha ha, I've been back and forth on this more than a politician. I don't really like the idea of having to have the second remote out, kinda defeats the purpose of me having the harmony. So maybe the onkyo is back out =^P I think I'm done with my looking into that whole thing...but at least I have a definitive answer and hopefully it'll help somebody out down the line.

I got final confirmation that you can indeed turn on the amps using the zone 2/3 12v outputs, you just have to turn the zones on to turn the amps on, and apparently turn the zones off as well to turn the amps off. Not that big of a deal, but it appears that my harmony remote doesn't have the zone buttons in the device menu. Maybe it's possible to set up turning on/off the other zones as part of an activity. I might have to mess around with the remote a little to see if it's possible (I'm guessing it is...). So the onkyo isn't out for me just yet. Edit: I don't see the zone buttons as options to put into the harmony remote. Ha ha, I've been back and forth on this more than a politician. I don't really like the idea of having to have the second remote out, kinda defeats the purpose of me having the harmony. So maybe the onkyo is back out =^P I think I'm done with my looking into that whole thing...but at least I have a definitive answer and hopefully it'll help somebody out down the line.

Why not try the umc-1 like I am doing? The price is right for sure. If you dont like it you could sell it and use the upgrade card to get the xmc-1 at 40% off or you could probable sell the umc-1 for more with the card. I think i remember running into the harmony remote problem also. Kinda defeats the purpose of the harmony remote if you need to keep the onkyo out just to trigger the amps.

Why not try the umc-1 like I am doing? The price is right for sure. If you dont like it you could sell it and use the upgrade card to get the xmc-1 at 40% off or you could probable sell the umc-1 for more with the card.

Because right now I don't have any amps. It's something I may do down the road, but for now I just don't want to drop money for a pre/pro and also the money to drive 7 channels. So I'll have to buy an AVR for now and integrate the amp/amps in the future.

Do you remember and can you describe what the difference in sound is? I have the 83's but have not heard the 7's so I'm just curious.

Youthman wrote up a pretty nice thread here comparing both.

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. I only got my83's/64 two weeks ago so I'm still very excited to have them.

I don't think it passes audio along with the video signal over HDMI. I don't know if any TVs can do it, but you can use the digital coax/optical out or just use component outs on the source to a separate input on your TV, or if your source has 2 hdmi outs, that would work better.