Klipschorn Mods

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing a pair of Klipschorns manufactured in 1992. I would like to update these speakers after I buy them this week. Can you recommend some modifications for these speakers, and also do you think speakers that are now 20 years old worth the time and investment? The seller wants $1500 for the pair.

Thanks,

John

Can you recommend some modifications for these speakers, and also do you think speakers that are now 20 years old worth the time and investment?

Those are relatively new Khorns.

Most folks here would have you messing with the crossover networks, but I wouldn't recommend tweaking the passive networks, rather I would recommend a low-cost change that will significantly improve the soundstage image of the speakers in their corners - remove the tweeters from the cabinets and mount them on small baffles on top of the speakers so that you can move them to the back of the cabinet to time align them to the midrange compression drivers, like these tweeters that Marvel moved on his La Scalas...

APT_baffle_04.jpg

Guest David H

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing a pair of Klipschorns manufactured in 1992. I would like to update these speakers after I buy them this week. Can you recommend some modifications for these speakers, and also do you think speakers that are now 20 years old worth the time and investment? The seller wants $1500 for the pair.

Thanks,
John

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums.

If the Klipschorns you are looking at are in good condition, they are well worth the investment.

There are alot of great upgrades available, but you should give the KHorns a good listen and figure out what you do or do not like about them. Then choose your upgrades based on personal preference.

Enjoy, Dave

I can't believe how nice that pic of my La Scalas came out. Now they are at the other end of the same room.

First thing you should do with the Khorns is get them in the corners where they belong and then listen to them for a month or so (then move the tweeters... [;)]). 1995 is almost NEW when it comes to Khorns.

I would also recommend to just do listening for a season before attempting upgrades. For a first, the crossover caps could be replaced after 20 years. However, I would have a strong recommendation to replace them with caps that are close to factory spec. You will probably be astonished at the improvement in sound by just doing that. IMO, it helps to have an idea as to how factory spec sounds as a point of reference before beginning the upgrade adventure. It's a base point of reference. If you make changes that you think sound better than that, then more power to you.

First thing you should do with the Khorns is get them in the corners where they belong and then listen to them for a month or so (then move the tweeters... Wink). 1995 is almost NEW when it comes to Khorns

Here is another thread on corner horns (such as Khorns) and how to improve their imaging/low frequency performance:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/154887/1631048.aspx

Chris

Well I have 1972 K-Horns which were in very rough condition and i think they were worth fixing up. So your almost new ones are no brainer. Do you have a picture of these babies? I would recomend looking up corner sealing ideas they need good seal to the corner.At that price you better jump on them.Welcome to the forum. Rick

I too think you need to give these a long audition in your room, with your system and music before delving into mods/upgrades. once you have identified any shortcoming you can then focus resources on resolving that.

Looking back after my long history of tweaking I think the sound form a stock 1990´s k-horn is almost perfect. Of course, the speakers can be upgraded and/or optimized for your system and tastes. one of the great things about these speakers is how much tweaking can be done.

For the time being my advice is to get get them seated in corners and listen to the music! afterwards you can begin to look at the crossover, drivers, horns, etc.

warm regards, Tony

My Khorns are a little older but had a blown tweeter, so I put in Bob Crite's CT125 tweeters and A/4500 crossovers. I didn't care for the performance of the Crites crossovers in the bass to mid range region so I reconnected the original Khorn low pass filters with more pleasing results. I think the CT125's with the new mid/hf crossover point is a big improvement. When I get the time, I will be going to an active tri-amp system with a behrenger crossover system so I can balance and time-align all the drivers, as well as eliminating the passive crossover system and getting a steeper slope, especially in the bass/midrange area. No other changes, the mid and bass drivers are stock are the cabinets.

G'day

I have been using Klipsch gear since 1977 and have run all of the heritage models and a few others. I currently run 2004 Khorns with a tractrix horn I built (thanks Al for the drawings) an Bob's tweet on a separate motor board. Didn't play with the crossover just aligned the mid and tweet more to centre of room and listening pleasure and kept bass bins tucked tightly into proper corners. Did lots of room treatment (key to getting the best out of a Khorn particulalry in small rooms). What a sound, the artists are in the room with me, it's almost 3D! I still get goose bumps and so do any that listen with me!

All the best

I have been using Klipsch gear since 1977 and have run all of the heritage models and a few others. I currently run 2004 Khorns with a tractrix horn I built (thanks Al for the drawings) an Bob's tweet on a separate motor board. Didn't play with the crossover just aligned the mid and tweet more to centre of room and listening pleasure and kept bass bins tucked tightly into proper corners. Did lots of room treatment (key to getting the best out of a Khorn particulalry in small rooms). What a sound, the artists are in the room with me, it's almost 3D! I still get goose bumps and so do any that listen with me!

[Y][Y]

G'day

All the best

Would appreciate hearing about your room treatments; in the Architectural Thread if that's more appropriate. Also curious about your aligning of the mid and tweet more to the center of the room.

Thanks very much.

Rod

Hi Rod

I think here is fine. By removing the 'top hat' of a Khorn and replacing with a mid and high driver motor board config, that you can more easily move around and point to the 'listening position', you get better perception of the sound and 'dimensionality' increases. Some don't need to do this in a room where the corners point to the ideal position. What is the ideal listening position? There is math and 'methods' but I just use my very experienced ears! Yes it doesn't look at pretty unless you rebuild a 'rotateable' top hat, but I'm lazy and I just love to play with different lenses I have built for the mid and high drivers (K55, K77 and Crites). I have used some Altecs and Beyma's but not happy with them in current config and would have needed to play with the crossover...which I avoided as I am simply not qualified and again lazy!

As to treatments, probably the single most cost effective & impressive improvement you can do to any listening environment...even makes a cheap system sound really good when done right. I have spent a great deal of time building bass traps and lookng at materials and ways to 'scatter' rather than cause unwanted reflections. Again using my ears with a little help from friends and relatives (does this sound better or worse...what if i shift this...etc). Lots of my ideas come from people experimenting with their ideas. There are no rules if you have a loving partner who doesn't care how the room looks. But if you don't have that luxury there are plenty of great looking products from a growing business 'Acoustic Room Treatments' -Auralex, Realtraps etc. Once I was able to control enormous bass in a small room I concentrated on diffussion to take out 'slap' and uneccessary rings & nodal interplay.

Keeps me off the streets and out of the wife's way!

All the best

Steve

• 6 months later...

Real corners are important. I had DIY Klipsch corner horns in solid concrete corners and then moved and then had the side walls still in concrete but the back wall fof the horns in plaster board I lost something like 6 dB below 80 Hz, so true corners and sturdy corners is a must for decent bass.

Hi Rod

I think here is fine. By removing the 'top hat' of a Khorn and replacing with a mid and high driver motor board config, that you can more easily move around and point to the 'listening position', you get better perception of the sound and 'dimensionality' increases. Some don't need to do this in a room where the corners point to the ideal position. What is the ideal listening position? There is math and 'methods' but I just use my very experienced ears! Yes it doesn't look at pretty unless you rebuild a 'rotateable' top hat, but I'm lazy and I just love to play with different lenses I have built for the mid and high drivers (K55, K77 and Crites). I have used some Altecs and Beyma's but not happy with them in current config and would have needed to play with the crossover...which I avoided as I am simply not qualified and again lazy!

As to treatments, probably the single most cost effective & impressive improvement you can do to any listening environment...even makes a cheap system sound really good when done right. I have spent a great deal of time building bass traps and lookng at materials and ways to 'scatter' rather than cause unwanted reflections. Again using my ears with a little help from friends and relatives (does this sound better or worse...what if i shift this...etc). Lots of my ideas come from people experimenting with their ideas. There are no rules if you have a loving partner who doesn't care how the room looks. But if you don't have that luxury there are plenty of great looking products from a growing business 'Acoustic Room Treatments' -Auralex, Realtraps etc. Once I was able to control enormous bass in a small room I concentrated on diffussion to take out 'slap' and uneccessary rings & nodal interplay.

Keeps me off the streets and out of the wife's way!

All the best

Steve

When todays post appeared in my mail box I looked at this whole thread again. Then realized that I had not thanked you for your helpful and informative response to me. Sorry bout that, and thanks very much.

Rod