Voice coil rubbing on a Cornwall II

A local pair of Cornwall II's are for sale near me for $500.00. Haven't seen them yet but the guy says one woofer doesn't work, he said the voice coil is rubbing. Other than that he says they are in excellent condition, serial # on one is 8662509....what year is that?

What does this kind of problem indicate? Misuse? What am I looking at money wise for a fix? What else should I be looking at as potential problems?

Thanks for any and all info. I plan on using one between my Klipschorns down the road.

John

Bob Crites also now offers replacements for the K-34 woofer. The woofer differs some from the K-33 as it has a shorter cardboard lip as it is designed to be flush mounted on the front of the Cornwall II cabinet rather than from the back like the original Cornwall. Specs are identical. Those are 1986 models.

Voice coil's can go bad for a number of reasons. If it were me, I would listen to the speakers, and check the tweeter and midranges on them, just to see if there are more drivers that are bad. Everything can be fixed or replaced, if the cabinet is in good shape. The thing is, the total cost to get them up to snuff. Everything you find wrong other than the thing(s) he stated, should be used to negotiate the price down, because you will be paying more to repair them.

Second mustang guy's response. A crossed wire or short, could hit the woofer with a DC jolt but not the mid an tweeter since they have a capcitor blocking DC. Have to admit I have been careless like that.

I would add that my preference is to recone both woofers. The tolerances could be quite different in a cone produced decades ago with one produced recently.

Considering how loud the mid and tweeter can play, it is less likely that they would have been cooked even if somewhat abused - though possible. Cornwall IIs will play quite loud without strain.

What is a typical thing though is to turn up the bass and to have bass below where the port unloads the woofer. This can damage the woofer is a likely answer. Some would call that abuse others would say they just wanted to feel the bass [;)]