Emotiva UMC-1 and XPA-5 with RF-7II's

Hi,

How is a combination with Emotiva UMC-1/XMC-1 and XPA-5 to a Stereo setup.? It's because will not cut away my hometheater oppotunity to enjoy a well sounding Stereo setup.

Just wonder if a REAL surroundprocessor with a powerfull amp will perform a acceptble stereostage compared with my Onkyo- SR875 receiver which is not pretty good.

Give me your 5 cents

Thx from denmark

XMC-1 has not been released yet. UMC-1 is feature rich and has good audio quality. XPA-5 will provide plenty of current to RF 7 woofers, but it's a high gain amp and those tweeters might stand out. Some people prefer it that way, some don't, so it's hard to recommend without auditioning. I personally liked XPA amp with my B&W 802M speakers much better than with my Forte IIs.

Ever consider using the avr as a pre-amp and getting a 2 channel amp for stero and multichannel listening. I don't think it will make a night and day difference in the sound. Most of the current avr's have good processing so maybe the addition of a 2-5 channel amp is all that is needed to drive your 7's. I use my avr with two yamaha amp and am very pleased. Pre-amps last about as long as avr's for features and may need an upgrade around 5-6 years. A common rule of thumb is to get an amp 2-4 x the speakers RMS, even though most of us are not using that much in the power department.

YES.! Already tried that solution with a Vincent hybrid amp for the fronts. Did not do much for the sound and i blame the Preamp in my AVR. I only noticed a slightly better woofer control but not that much i could justify the cost of the Vincent.

That is the reason i seek another preamp with matching amps.