what pre/amp would match

Hi guys ,I've been struggling w/ this for quite some time now .As a 2-chl system the Adcom 555 is the pwr and for now I have an Onkyo P-301 pre which does all the functions I need but I know there is better out there.I'm now in posession of a pair of Bose 601s that I refoamed and just blow away the Infinity SM112s I had as my first speakers. So the question is matching w/ an Adcom pre 400-and up or a different brand all together like a CarverC-T1 or a Phase Linear 4000 and how much would the sound differ,or do I still need to up grade my speakers before the pre/amp move. As I have said in a previous post I sort of would like a pair of Fortes or really have a hard -n for some Ohm/Walsh 2s.

So some constructed advice I could clearly use and keep in mind that I'm on a very restricted budget which does hamper things a bit.

Not a fan of the Bose speakers. They have some very specific spacing requirements to sound good. You are on the right track with Fortes. Huge improvement in overall sound and versitility.

There are some other speakers you might consider as well. Klipschorns are at the top of the heap, but they have pre-requisites to function well. You can read about that all over these forums, but in short, you need good corners, high ceilings, and preferably have them on the long wall of the room. Cornwalls are excellent speakers. If you can't do the Klipschorns, that is the next step down. If you are going to add a sub, the LaScalas or Klipsch Belles are the next best thing. A horn loaded sub like the Bill Fitzmaurice Table Tuba matches very well. Another option if you plan on having a sub are the Heresy's. An ordinary sub works well with them, as they are only horn loaded on the top end. Fortes without a sub come in next. They are several levels better than the Bose speakers you have, so anything I mentioned above will be a huge upgrade. As for pre-pro selection, I would recomend getting the speakers first. When you go to horn loaded speakers, the signal is terribly important, as these speakers are MUCH more revealing. You have heard the term crap-in crap-out. With horn loaded speakers, it is crap-in CRAP-OUT!

STANG,Your talking so far out of both my financial reality and the size of my living room where any of those would go.I do think KLF 20s would be dead on perfect ,I think the tower form fits my room best. For now the 601s just kill the Infinitys and I'm ok w/ the H/D500 set for movie and tv viewing.Fortes or Chorus would fit also.I agree that a better preamp might have to come first.

STANG,Your talking so far out of both my financial reality and the size of my living room where any of those would go.I do think KLF 20s would be dead on perfect ,I think the tower form fits my room best. For now the 601s just kill the Infinitys and I'm ok w/ the H/D500 set for movie and tv viewing.Fortes or Chorus would fit also.I agree that a better preamp might have to come first.

I hear ya.

Bose 601 do a good job if they are placed correctly. IMO, there are too many rules for these and 901's. It's a nightmare for room mode correction.

Don't rule out the Heresy's either. Very nice speakers, and a bit more available than the forte. Depending on your listening habits, though, a sub may be in order.

If you really want to buy on the cheap, look at the KG 4.x and 5.x speakers. On the used market, they are selling for as little as $250/pair. They are beautiful speakers as well.

The HD 500 dose not get much ackownledgement on this forum for being a nice satellite ht system. I have one, and it's performance is awesome without the large footprint of some of the other systems. The HD 500's sub as been rock solid in my second HT setup.