Klipsch Reissues PWK's Early Stereo Recordings

Alex L

Hey guys, the Klipsch Tape Reissues are now available for purchase!

To resurrect a former milestone in audio history, present-day Klipsch representatives have worked with High Definition Tape Transfers (HDTT) to carefully preserve a sampling of Paul W. Klipschs original recordings. Audio enthusiasts can now purchase a KlipschTape as a physical disc or digital download. Also included is a rare 1954 interview with Paul W. Klipsch, as well as the original liner notes that accompanied the tapes.

The rest of the official Klipsch press release: http://resource.klipsch.com/pressreleases/klipschtape-release.htm

Link to purchase site: http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/storefront.php

Klipsch-available-now.jpg

Should I order the 24/96 DVD or the HQCD? Which is the highest sample recording available? I assume they are playable on my Oppo BDP-93, which can play DVD-A's and SACD's. I hope so anyway. Very much looking forward to ordering it.

Craig

edit: I no longer have a reel to reel. Perhaps that is the route I should go, but I really don't know where the heck I would put it...

I just listened to the 196/24 FLAC download on the "big set" (4 Corn IIs, Klipsch derived center and Rythmik sub). Wonderful. Yes, there is some tape hiss in spots, and there is a hint of saturation on a few places, but still marvelous. Think of someone playing this at home in 1957 on an Ampex, through MAC powered Klipschorns. Then think about the mass market LPs of the time. Sheesh.

I first became aware of John Eargle when he was Chief Engineer at Delos. Then I found out his "backstory" and "ah, that explains things". To hear him play for me from the 50s was amazing, a little wistful.

Thanks Jim for bringing these back.

• 1 month later...

Got mine, woudn't play on my Panasonic Blue Ray, but played on my PC workstation with the 2.1 Klipsch Speakers. Took to a friend's house with Open Baffle 2-ch and 3 sets of SPUD subwoofs. His OPPO will play anything. The organ sounds great, but the Jazz recordings are simply amazing on that system. One of the most "real musicians in the room" sound ever!!

The interview with PWK obviously is with non-audio people, but pretty cool nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: the Klipsch Tapes disks.

1) The manual for my OPPO BDP-93 player does not mention either HQCD or 24/96 DVD, either in the "Can Play" or the "Can't Play" section. Will it play the HQCD version of the Klipsch Tapes? How about the 24/96 DVD version?

2) Of the two above mentioned formats, which one is superior sonically?

RE: the Klipsch Tapes disks.

1) The manual for my OPPO BDP-93 player does not mention either HQCD or 24/96 DVD, either in the "Can Play" or the "Can't Play" section. Will it play the HQCD version of the Klipsch Tapes? How about the 24/96 DVD version?

2) Of the two above mentioned formats, which one is superior sonically?

Any CD player should be able to play HQCD (High Quality Compact Disc).

If your player can play DVD-A (audio) then it *should* be able to play the DVD version, but as Claude pointed out, this may not always be the case.

The DVD audio is using 24 bit/96Khz resolution verses 16 bit/44.1KHz on CD which should sound better than CD provided your playback system is capable of revealing the increase in resolution. On my own original chorale/orchestral recordings I record at 24 bit/96KHz and to me there is a big difference compared to standard CD resolution.

HQCD is made from a different material which is supposedly more transparent and harder. Sometimes the core material may be made of a different material also, both of which "supposedly" reduce error correction requirements putting less "strain" on the player processing. High Definition Tape Transfers say that they "burn" their CDs as opposed to "pressing" them as is usually done in mass production and seem to claim that this results in better quality. I personally have not had the opportunity to verify this. However, I have a number of "SHM" CD and SACD from CD Japan that supposedly is made of these higher quality materials and to my ears they definetly sound better than regular CD if the original recording quality is high enough to make use of this. I have compared the SHM discs to regular CD, original LP as well as "audiophile" reissues like Mobile Fidelity of the same recordings.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Question !

1) How many compilation CDs are available to date

2) Will there be an offering in Reel2Reel master quality tape ( as I have and use Reel2Reel regularly )

3) As there has been an 80% growth of vinyl record sales in 2013 has there been consideration given to a vinyl release ( yes I also have a turntable set up as well )

Cheers

Question !

1) How many compilation CDs are available to date

2) Will there be an offering in Reel2Reel master quality tape ( as I have and use Reel2Reel regularly )

3) As there has been an 80% growth of vinyl record sales in 2013 has there been consideration given to a vinyl release ( yes I also have a turntable set up as well )

Cheers

I think there are two available.

Likely will never be available on R2R. There just isn't enough of a market.

Two Klipsch tape recordings are currently offered. The first has the music and PWK interview mentioned above and the second recording is session with the Joe Holland Quartet. This 19 selection recording is some very good live Jazz, IMHO.

• Like 1

Got mine, woudn't play on my Panasonic Blue Ray, but played on my PC workstation with the 2.1 Klipsch Speakers. Took to a friend's house with Open Baffle 2-ch and 3 sets of SPUD subwoofs. His OPPO will play anything. The organ sounds great, but the Jazz recordings are simply amazing on that system. One of the most "real musicians in the room" sound ever!!

The interview with PWK obviously is with non-audio people, but pretty cool nonetheless.

I have had an Oppo 83 SE for a while now. Killer DAC's in the SE part for 2.1. Anyhow, this recording is scary good. The interview is up close with PWK and he even jokes a bit about "infidelity."

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Hi-Res downloads from High Definition Tape Transfers are spectacular. At $16 each, they're a tremendous bargain. As I type, I'm enjoying Vol. II through Klipsch S4 IEMs modified to use Pono's balanced mode. The percussion is superb. I've not yet listened over my speakers, as I'm waiting for some bits needed to utilize the differential outputs of Pono. I expect the other formats are excellent as well.

If you like Klipsch products and respect PWK, you must have these. He was personally involved in recording this music in stereo on R2R at 15ips to have excellent recordings with which to demonstrate Klipsch speakers in the 50s before stereo recordings were commercially available.

You won't be disappointed.

PS: BOXX we miss you.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2