Klipsch RF-7 II Measurements (frequency response, impedance & waterfall)

gago1101

I recently auditioned the Klipsch RF7 IIs and was impressed. Since then I have been trying to find out any impedance and frequency measurements. Finally, I ended up buying the review from a German Audio magazine. I have attached the measurements to this thread.

There are a few issues I was concerned about. First, The impedance dips down to about 3.7 ohms, which should not be a problem with my Mcintosh MC275. However, what concerns me more is that the impedance curve shows to obvious wrinkles in the midrange, possibly indicating bad resonance in the range. Also, it seems the high frequency driver's resonance is at about 18 KHz. When auditioning, I did not pay particular attention to this and did not notice it. Is it possible that you would notice these issues more with certain recordings? And if so, would for example the resonances cause congestion?

Finally the waterfall also shows some irregularities in the 12-18K range, not sure if this is again related to the domes resonance frequency.

Would appreciate if someone can comment not this. Are the midrange resonances and HF driver's resonance at 18 KHz big issues or are these trivial issues and should not be big deal?

Also to note, these measurements were done supplying 2.0 volts to get 90dB sensitivity, which went up to 96.3 with 2.83volts, still lower than 101dB. The article did mention that the distortion was almost non existent at 100db levels.

Not sure how to post pictures directly into the post, but here are the links. If anyone can let me know how to post directly, I will do that.

Thanks!!!

Frequency response:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gpEO8co02Zg/T8Jn4OaEZhI/AAAAAAAAAfY/fWsq5Y2JgY8/s744/Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Frequency%2520response.jpg

Impedance and Phase curves:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ryRcyrFDM50/T8Jn4IiBXeI/AAAAAAAAAfc/l7fAMeIGv_8/s764/Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Impedence%2520Curve.jpg

Waterfall:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vJ_0DFdA0fk/T8Jn4fkgkdI/AAAAAAAAAfk/8cfMgWzg7lI/s727/Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Waterfall.jpg

dude... do the speakers sound good to your ears or not?

I am wiling to lay 4.9654 to 1 that they do sound exceptional. the over under on a set of rf7ii's not sounding good is well under 2/1... probably closer 1.01/1

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums Gago, we're glad you're here! [<:o)]

You will probably get a more Technical response in the "Technical" section ---------> CLICK HERE

Most of us believe in using our ears to figure out what we like and dislike, but I know there are a lot of people who like looking at "specs." too. Nothing wrong with that.

But when all else fails.... trust your ears! [;)]

Again, Welcome!!

Dennie

Thank you for posting the link, that was again my post.

I went back again today and listened to them for a little while. I like them a lot. I did A/B comparison to Martin Logans and I think the Klipsch blew them away.

I think I like the more forward sound of the Klipsch much better. The only dilemma I have now is that should one consider getting the Klpisch P39 over the RF7s?

I can get a use pair for about 8K, which is 4.5K more than the Rf7s. I do not have a chance to audition them as no dealers have them in stock where I live.

Has anyone heard the P39s? Do you guys think it is significantly better than the RF7s?

Thanks again to everyone!

Gago

I also compared my HT (listed below) to the Martin Logans and can't say that they blew them away, but felt they sounded every bit as good and didn't have the placement/power requirement and were considerably less expensive ...On top of that I heard that the MLs would need servicing after a few years.