My Peach

Speedball

I bought my Peach Preamp a few years ago and am just now learning about tubes in general. (The model number inside the preamp is #50813 Rev C)

Exactly what tubes were designed to be used in this preamp?

Installed inside the preamp now are 1- 12X4 and 3- 6dj8 tubes. Is it OK to go with a tube with a different number or letter? Until I figure what's supposed to be in there I will continue to use whats in there or I will just replace with just the same numbers and letters.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I know someone here knows about this particular preamp, right? Thank you for your time,

I have a Blueberry Xtreme, so I can't say for sure the tube complement is the same as your Peach from the 'factory'. I have, however, exchanged a few E-Mail messages with Mark regarding tubes in my BBX, and tube allowances are pretty snug - in other words, stick with the factory designated tube types. Mark or others with extensive knowledge of the Peach may have a few suggestions as to equivalent replacements but my experience is there is enough variety (covering a great range in price) of the factory tubes available to keep you "pluggin' away" for some time. The process is rather slow when done right - listen to the factory tubes, take notes, make a single change, live with it for a few weeks, take more notes, repeat as your wallet allows. Some folks will tell you what works best in their Peach, but sound is subjective and systems are different, so...

Very interesting, thanks for the response.

Hopefully Mark is still around and will see this or someone who has a Peach chimes in would also be great.

I forgot to mention in my first post I purchased it "used" so I'm not sure what tubes are supposed to be in there.

Analog is right. The rectifier always gets replaced by a like number. The 6dj8 has variants, and is also known as a 6922, 7308, ECC88, and a few other European cousins. Just be careful you don't get taken, and if you do switch, you have done enough research so it is an upgrade, and not a foolish downgrade.

Did you get the manual? My BBX manual has the stock

tube complement laid out in a diagram. Haven't had mine open in a little

while but I'm pretty sure there is a sticker(s) inside the unit with the tube

types labeled as well. Brent Jesse (audiotubes.com) is a well-respected

seller on this forum and a really bright guy (go figger) on the topic. He

knows the JM gear well, too, so that's a plus. Not cheap, but likely in

line with what you'll pay from a known, high-quality source. People here

have mentioned deals on eBay but you're odds of getting taken are fairly high

unless you can track down a seller whom others have had success.

Talking to Brent, be ready to describe the rest of your system, the type of music

you like and the levels you listen at and maybe even room

characteristics. He could then guide you toward a range of tubes vs.

getting some that are too similar to make a real distinction for the price

(unless your ears are worth more than your house - mine are in line with the

cost of a Happy Meal).

I have had a Peach for several years and still use it regularly. It's an enjoyable preamp. I have tried lots of different tubes as well and have a recommendation after spending ridiculous amounts on tubes over time.

You can use 6dj8, 6922, Ecc88. These tubes types are all "catch-22" IMHO. I got burned many times buying so-called expensive NOS tubes which ended up being used pulls from scopes and what-not lab equipment..............and these produced many NOISEY tubes.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT buying the really expensive NOS tubes and instead stick in the $12-$50 range with either NEW production or JAN tubes (lower cost late model NOS).

The difference in sound between a $150 NOS Ecc88 Telefunken or Siemens and a $45 current production Genelax 6922 will be difficult to hear in a stock Peach. There will only be a slight audible difference.

I wouldn't be making these type of comments if we were talking 12AX7 or more refined preamps like a Mac.

I love my Peach, but you can only get so much out of it in stock form. It simply does not pay to spend big bucks on tubes IN THAT UNIT.

I had mine modified by Mark D. to use the 6H30 tube for HiZ mode which is what Mark had gone to later in production to avoid the noise of the 6922 and to improve the performance.

If there was one "issue" with the Peach over its life span, I would say the choice of designing with the 6922 tube platform was a mistake. Too many noisey tubes......and Mark eventually changed the design to the 6H30.

If you go to TUBE DEPOT.COM there are many 6dj8/6922/ecc88 tubes to choose from that are very reasonably priced. That is a good supplier to purchase from.

I had Amperex Bugle Boys and Telefunkens at times in my Peach and now I run a set of Genelax 6922 in the LoZ positions. I'm not sure I can even tell the difference for the LoZ mode. Put your best single tube obviously in the HiZ position in your unit.

I wouldn't be making these type of comments if we were talking 12AX7 or more refined preamps like a Mac.

Some day you will have to explain the above comment to me....it really got me scratching my head.

+1 [Y]

[Y] x3

Before the peach I owned or auditioned a Mac c22 a Cary sp98 , a Mac mx110 and by a LARGE margin I preferred the peach precisely because it was more refined. Yes it's hard to find a quality 6dj8 but when you do it kicks butt on the super tube IMHO

I sold my peach and bought a super tubed bbx which I sold because I had a Merlin that Craig worked some magic on. Fwiw I could have had him do the mod that allows for the super tube. But since I have a few spectacular 6dj8 's I elected not to do so because of the superior sound of a good 6dj8

Josh

I guess Mark D. is not doing upgrades anymore is he?

Not according to my last response from him. Probably 2-3 months ago. As I recall, he said he was fully retired & recommending any repairs or other work to local techs.

Quick expalnation......not to hijack........I was referring to my frustration with the noisey 6dj8 / 6922 and that on any 12AX7 platform I ever owned (which there have been many), I never had any issue with noisey tubes. I never worried about spending bigg bucks on a NOS 12AX7 as opposed to a NOS 6922, because I just never got ripped off with repeated noisey tubes time and time again. The other issue is the quality of the preamp. My Mac C220 bests the Peach by a long shot IMHO. I would not hesitate to spend more on tubes for that unit over the Peach.

All said, I still love my Peach and use it all the time for my outdoor system along with an MC-2100 and a pair of cornwalls with DeanG built ALK Bs in them.