Great talent...but...

oldenough

Was thinking about some of the artists that have come along with great fanfare, but have just as quickly disappeared, or at least not lived-up to the hype. In particular I was thinking of LeAnne Rimes, now I know she is by no means washed-up, but I remember her first appearance and thinking she had a terrific future. I'm no country music fan, but I was knocked out by her voice, and no less by her looks. Seems she never hit the heights I was expecting. So is there anyone that you thought was going to become a real superstar, but to your surprise went super-nova instead?

I was really disappointed when the Electric Prunes fizzled. They had such great potential with their "hit" I Had To Much To Dream (Last Night).

These guys are nowhere to be found now.

They actually regrouped and were recording and touring in early 2011, but bassist Mark Tulin died in Feb. 2011, and the band stopped doing anything.

Bruce

They actually regrouped and were recording and touring in early 2011, but bassist Mark Tulin died in Feb. 2011, and the band stopped doing anything.

Bruce

Now that's interesting... Who would have known?

Bruce

Now that's interesting... Who would have known?
Wiki knew....[:D]

I only looked them up because you mentioned them. A friend of mine had their Mass in F Minor album, right after high school, but I only heard it under the influence. I rather prefer Bach, but would like to find a copy to hear how weird it was.

Bruce

What ever happened to Milly vanilli? [:)]

I expected Clay Aken to take off after he was the runner up on American Idol. The guy has a great voice, kinda like a male Leanna Rimes. He just fizzled away into obscurity.

Another artist I really expected to see a lot more from is Amy Lee from Evanescence. She has a mello voice, great on a piano, and can rock with the best of them. She is releasing records still, but nowhere near the sales I would have expected. She is my favorite female artist ATM. makes me melt...

I expected Clay Aken to take off after he was the runner up on American Idol

I believe he's the new front man for Slayer now.

He was runner up on this year's Celebrity Apprentice. Arsenio Hall beat him out. You know he was ticked, 'cause he said he didn't want to come in second again.

Bruce

A British Alternative band called The Smiths. They broke up after five years (back in the mid 80s), one of their tunes was used in the movie 500 Days of Summer. I'm surprised they weren't more popular.

Morissey's voice is not for everyone. To me Johnny Marr was the real star of the group. A friend of mine actually took a turn at drums for them early on in Manchester but he could not get along with Morissey. I can't even type what he had to say about them. Although he is still one of their fans.

Ides of March was a one-hit-wonder but Jim Peterik went on to pen for Survivor and .38 Special.

I picked up their first album (released in 1970), at a garage sale. It includes Vehicle and a host of some other, very good, lesser known material, that is pretty darn powerful. For .25 cents, it was a bargain....

Johnny Marr's solo record from the 90's (Johhny Marr and the Healers "Boomslang") is one of my all time favorite driving records. Guitar-based English rock, a very solid effort.

I've long looked forward to a second release, but he's now playing with Modest Mouse, I think.

D

Alliota Haynes and Jeremiah........................"Lake Shore Drive"

"Slippin on by on LSD.........Friday night trouble bound"

I'm not sure how "national" this got. It certainly was a big hit around the midwest. I'm a personal friend of Ted Alliota and have played bass with him many times. His brother Mitch was the bass player for another Chicago band, Rotary Connection of which Minnie Ripperton was the lead singer. When Minnie went solo Mitch continued to be her bass player until she passed away.

OK, I'm on a roll.....here's another one.

The Jamestown Massacre......"Summer Sun"....summer of 72?

I briefly played with these guys too before deciding to go back to college. The lead singer at the time, Dave Bickler had left the band because of some contractual conflicts and was replaced by my friend Rick Samuel. Rick stayed, I left, band broke up. Dave Bickler later ended up with Jim Peterik in Survivor.