SVS Sub with Forte I Mains in Large Room

ozarktroutfisher

I'm finally trying to finish my HT, mostly for my son as I really don't watch a lot of movies. I have Forte I mains and they sound pretty good on the deep end but of course we're missing the really low stuff. Ok so after reading a lot I finally thought I'd decided to get an SVS PB12-NSD, but am having second thoughts after conversing online with Jack from SVS.

My HT room is in my basement (concrete floor with padded laminate flooring) and is pretty large (approx 850 ft^2 with 8' ceiling; so 6800 ft^3) and frankly I'm not looking for earth shaking crazy bass; just trying to get down around 20 Hz pretty cleanly. I'd read a few reviews of the PB12-NSD and thought it would be great bang for the buck in there, but Jack has me strongly considering the PB12-PLUS based purely on the size of my room.

Again I'm not after crazy bass levels and I can't stand muddy, boomy bass that I hear in most people's setups. Frankly I can afford the Plus, it's just that I'm questioning whether I'll get anything out of it at moderate listening levels and have ZERO sub experience. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Keith

Why not step up to the PB-13 Ultra? It will solve your problems plenty. No muddy, boomy base!

Agree with roaddog, Just because the PB-13 ultra can do the same thing with less effort. I have a Klipsch Pro KPT-684 with twin 18 inch woofers and two HGS 18II Velodyne subs in the same system. Do you think I max them out every time I listen? Hcll no! You have alot to overcome with all that concrete to get acceptible Bass output. The most important speakers for surround sound are the center and the sub, splurge on the sub and never wonder what if.

Roger

Sorry if I implied that I don't like bass or that quality set ups are somehow too much. I just don't like the fake bass that many think sounds great. I have no doubt that virtually no one on this forum falls into that category!! The bottom line is that I'm after accurate quality bass and absolutely agree that I can always turn the level down if I have more than I need. You can't fix too little for sure which is why I'm asking!

Sorry if I implied that I don't like bass or that quality set ups are somehow too much. I just don't like the fake bass that many think sounds great. I have no doubt that virtually no one on this forum falls into that category!! The bottom line is that I'm after accurate quality bass and absolutely agree that I can always turn the level down if I have more than I need. You can't fix too little for sure which is why I'm asking!

The guys at SVS wont stear you wrong. Ask him about the PB-13 ultra and see what he has to say. You really are trying to overcome alot with the concrete, and the PB-13 ultra is a good looking sub as well.

Roger

I never took it that way so no need to say sorry around here. I think you made a good choice in the SVS subs, but as stated above you have a lot to overcome with the square feet and the concrete and ect.... I think you will be much better off and money ahead if you step up to the PB -13 Ultra if you can spend the extra dough. You will achieve much more of the clean bass extension that you are looking for and have the head room to crank it up if needed or wanted. From reading your posts I dont think you will get what your looking for out of your original pick and that is why Jack was trying to get a better suited sub for you and your room. But I really think, and this is just me thinking that the PB-13 Ultra will blow your mind, and you will be over satisfied and not just satisfied with the other sub. Also the Ultra will give you room to grow if your room or equipment change down the line, like it does for most of us when we get infected with upgradeitis!!!!!!!

Call or chat on line with Ed Mullen from SVS. Tell him I told you to call him. He is a wealth of knowledge and will educate you in all audio areas. He is a up front guy and is not trying to sell you something you dont need. John Peters

Thanks Roger. OK so for the concrete. I was in a hurry when I posted my original message and might not have made it clear what I have.

The room in my basement is a HT / game room / mini kitchen. We built our house as an ours and theirs kind of deal. The upstairs is ours ........ the downstairs belongs to the kids. I have a ping pong table, pool table, couches, and 55" Samsung LED and have had 60+ high school kids at the house the past few New Year's Eves. They're either keeping me young ....... or killing me trying to keep up. I'm still not sure which.

Anyway, it's just the central part of the basement with Pergo flooring and the heaviest padding we could put under the laminate to prevent the noise from walking on it with hard sole shoes. I don't have any echo issues at all and frankly was more worried about the laminate and padding absorbing sound than the concrete being a concern. I have an Onkyo M504 Integra amp and that puppy with the Fortes will drive you out of there, but I'll be running the HT with an upper mid level Onkyo receiver.

With all that's going on in that room, I do feel that I'm limited to one sub, even though 850 ft^2 seems fairly large. My wife is in an animal rescue group and fosters puppies and just happens to have a large crate in a corner next to my left Forte. I've aready informed her that the crate will have to be sacrificed for a sub very soon!

Keith

i would go with a svs pb-13 ultra or dual pb-12 plus's. not much more and then you get a bit more output. or you can go real big and get dual pb-13 ultra's. you can corner load them and stack them too if need be. there are lots of youtube video's where guys have stacked ultra's. you sound like you have a pretty large room.

Dipping down to around 20 Hz isn't the real issue with a capable enough sub. Getting acceptable levels around the critical mid-bass, and HT centered 40Hz regions with that 8' ceiling is going to be the biggest problem.

If quality of sound is an absolute priority with any direct radiating sub, then I'd give consideration to a sealed servo-driven piece like a Velodyne or Rythmik.

to echo this statement I recommend trying out a Sunfire if you have a local dealer - I am more than impressed with my new one that replaced the SVS. it dig VERY low and really thumps hard and clean. all in a 13.5 inch cube...

+2 on Quiet _Hollow's post.

Most people spend more time researching what sub to buy than they do researching proper set up. Set up is the MOST IMPORTANT part of your sub purchase. You have a very large room so the chances of obtaining reference level bass in the entire room with one sub is slim at best. Buy the best sub you can afford, set it up PROPERLY and enjoy.

to echo this statement I recommend trying out a Sunfire if you have a local dealer - I am more than impressed with my new one that replaced the SVS. it dig VERY low and really thumps hard and clean. all in a 13.5 inch cube...

Not nearly enough sub for this room! On another note, there is a link to a SVS PB-13 Plus and a Velodyne HGS-15 in the Alert section posted by Youthman!

Roger