SVS Sub with Forte I Mains in Large Room

ozarktroutfisher

I was replying to QH post about the sound of a quailty high power sealed sub. I think to many people on here think the biggest/heaviest (ported) box is the only way to go. That Velodyne is great but at nearly 10 years old not quite sure I would drop $1000 on it...

and the OP never said anything about wanting reference bass levels in his whole room - he doesnt even have a sub at all currently "frankly I'm not looking for earth shaking crazy bass; just trying to get down around 20 Hz pretty cleanly"

any sub we have listed or even the lower SVS he mentioned would be a nice improvement. ideally he can try out a few to determine what works best in that large room

and the OP never said anything about wanting reference bass levels in his whole room - he doesnt even have a sub at all currently "frankly I'm not looking for earth shaking crazy bass; just trying to get down around 20 Hz pretty cleanly"

My point was that he doesn't have to worry about it because he won't obtain it with one sub in that room.

The OP has stated multiple times that SQ is more important than SPL. That's what I addressed in my post. It doesn't matter if your sub is sealed, ported or horn loaded. If it's not set up properly, you have an excellent chance of it sounding like crap.

First of all thanks a million to all of you who have taken the time to reply. I'm an avid photographer and participate on a photo forum, and well .... let me just say that replies are not always civil to the less informed. Ironically I once called myself an audiophile, but the past 10 + years of following my son all over the South playing travel baseball have gotten me behind, at least with respect to HT, and all of your replies have been extremely helpful.

I certainly intend to take your advice as to proper set up, but again I have no frame of reference for starting with a proper sub set up. I'm an engineer (mechanical) and am usually a pretty quick study on technical maters; so I just have to start reading!

Thanks again and I'm leaning VERY strongly to the PB12-Plus but will call the gentleman at SVS as recommended by someone above before reaching a final decision. I have no doubt that there's a "better" sub out there, but I feel that one will get me close enough to where I want to be. I'm sure my son and his friends will be thrilled.

I've learned this about myself and my hobbies; I sometimes spend way more than I need on a product that while great, really wasn't what I actually needed, or in some cases have the skill to properly appreciate. I have a $5K lens (300 mm f2.8) that mostly sits in my closet because it's too long a focal length for 95% of what I shoot (HS sports) since I use a dx format camera. It's a GREAT lens ........ but I'd have been better off getting the $1500 version (f4) AND a 24-70 f2.8 AND still have have a pile of money left to burn. Having said that, I have ZERO regrets buying that lens everytime I use it as I'm sure many of you feel about your uber sub purchases. Just too many hobbies on my part. And you know ..... that Nikon D4 that just got released ........... full frame ... so I can use my 300 f2.8 more ...... 11 frames a second .......... 4 times more sensitive than the human eye in low light ............ only $6K .............. yeah I need to save a little on a sub and just get close to perfection because I NEED that camera!!

Keith

soif you wanted a cherry or natural oak finish they just put all the pb-13 ultras in those colors to clear them out. they are only 1599.00. and i believe the pb-12 plus is 1299.00. worth the extra 300 IMHO. but you have to decide quick. cause they are going fast. probably be gone by the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I purchased an SVS PB12-Plus. Wow, I'm very pleased with this thing! I set the crossover to 60 Hz on my Fortes and I know I'm new to subs, but I just can't see ever "needing" any more output. My house is built very solidly, but things do shake if pushed even a little. I just did a quick and dirty set up last night to install it and my son and I watched the first 15 minutes or so of the latest Transformer movie. His smile was worth every penny. I'll spend more time this weekend reading the literature to see if there are any settings that need tweaked.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. Again I have no previous sub experience, but I do have 25 years of design engineering experience, and this thing is built very well and I'm completely pleased with my purchase.