Denon 4311

ivanhurd

After reading and looking around, it looks like I've finally settled on the 4311. Electronics Expo has them for $1238 shipped. Anybody have any reason as to why I should skip over this receiver? It looks like it has all of the features I am interested in and has favorable reviews. I use my HT for 80% movies/20% gaming.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will work my way into that. I want to get a capable AVR atm that has all the features that I want. From what I've read, the pres on this AVR are good so I will have full capability of expanding and getting amps in the future. And to be completely honest, I don't want to spend the kind of money that I would want to spend on getting separates right now so I'm taking it one step at a time =^)

I put my order in. Hopefully it'll ship quick as EE had just gotten stock in yesterday.

Congratulations on the new Denon receiver. I am sure it will be all you expect and probably more. I have no personal experience with Denon HT gear but I do have older(80's, 90's) 2-channel Denon gear that I am totally blown away by. They bring out the best in my Quartets and Heresy's.

Bill

I'm sure it's going to be quite the upgrade from my onkyo 706 =^) It'll still get some use tho, moving it to the bedroom.

When my NAD T773 was promoted to main HT/music duty, my Onkyo 705 was demoted to master bedroom HT duty. It is a win win for both systems.

Bill

Definitely. I have my Harmon Kardon HKTS 18 7.1 speakers just sitting in the room waiting for some power. I was thinking about just doing 5.1 in the bedroom and experimenting with 9.1 in the living room just for the heck of it. I might try out some wides. I know the speakers won't be timbre matched, but it could be worth it just to try it out for fun =^)

I bought my Denon 4800 back in 2001 and it is still going strong and sounding great with my Fortes. The 4311 should sound great in your system!

I am thinking about the 4311 later this year to replace the 4800 so I will be looking forward to your review.

^^^Sounds good. Keep an eye on this thread and I'll put my review in here =^) Just an FYI, if you haven't shopped, probably the best deal right now is audioholics.com for $1299. EE no longer has the price I mentioned in the OP. They had actually raised their price, but the guy I talked to still honored the quote he gave me when I called the second time.

Why not get seperates?, i just got the Emotiva XPA-3, and its much better then my Pioneer VSX-1121.

Another note on this, the pio has 110 watts per channel and the xpa-3 has 200. It better sound better =^P But really, I'm going from 100 on my onkyo 706 up to 140. I'm sure it doesn't do that with all channels driven, but it should still be quite a bit more power than my 706 with all channels driven (not to mention XT32 compared to multieq). I have a feeling I'm making a *huge* step up in pretty much everything with the 4311, I'm pretty excited about it =^D

If I am correct, you new avr has multiple separate amps, so it should do pretty much what is advertised.The HDMI 1.4 may let you use an ethernet HDMI cord to stream all your device connected to the avr. If this is possible, less cords will be very cool.

It does say 9 'discrete' amps...so does that means that it should do the 140 in each of the channels as advertised? If so, that would be awesome as I really wouldn't see the point in getting a separate amp at this point cuz 140 watts would be plenty for me in my space.

It does say 9 'discrete' amps...so does that means that it should do the 140 in each of the channels as advertised? If so, that would be awesome as I really wouldn't see the point in getting a separate amp at this point cuz 140 watts would be plenty for me in my space.

Yes (9) discrete amps at 140 watts each. To clear the air on that, that 140w/channel is measured with only (2) channels tested at a time at .05% distortion. With all (9) amps driven, you might be lucky and see 75w/channel measured. The ACD(all channels driven) test is clearly a more demanding measurement that only a "few" receivers can muster what they publish in their literature.

Could not find a bench test for the AVR-4311CI but I am sure it will test at or better than the 4310CI, it does weigh 3.4 pounds more which usually equates to better power supply.

Denon AVR-4310CI A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures

HT Labs Measures

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 113.8 watts
1% distortion at 131.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 104.6 watts
1% distortion at 116.6 watts

This graph shows that the AVR-4310CI’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 155.4 watts and 1 percent distortion at 179.3 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 224.6 watts and 1 percent distortion at 258.5 watts.

Not hear to bust your bubble, just revealing that published specs are not always what they are cracked up to be. With that said, the numbers are pretty good even with 7 channels driven.

Bill

I didn't figure it would be a full 140 watts with all channels driven, but wishful thinking anyways. Someone on AVS said with 5 channels driven it was pushing out 120. I'd say that's still pretty good. I would guess that's probably going to be almost double what my Onkyo was pushing out.