HK430/CBRs - House Warming Gift

garymd

As some of you know, I've been slowly putting together a 2-channel system for my son-in-law now that they have a new home and a nice big finished basement. Last weekend it finally all came together.

I purchased a minty HK430 off of Ebay for under $100 ($120ish with shipping). It was from Atlas Audio in Pittsburgh (highly recommended) and was recently serviced and looks/works like new.

Finally last weekend, after a couple months of searching for speakers, I found a pair of '76 Cornwalls (CBRs) on CL (had been in storage for years) with trim (regular shoe molding) to cover the plys on the front edge. I would say the trim must have been installed by the original owner but the motorboard is aligned so the grills line up with the edge of the molding. Anyone else seen this before? I'm guessing the trim had to be installed at the factory. I don't have pics but will take some next time I'm out at their place. If you took the molding off, the grills would stick out in front of the plywood edges. And no, they aren't decorators. Gotta love those laser logos too. They have their share of dings but not too bad at all. My son-in-law is a pretty handy guy and I'm guessing he'll clean them up and refinish them at some point..

I gave him my old CD changer so the entire system cost around $500. When I hooked it all up, I had no idea if it would even work. I hadn't tested the HK or the speakers before purchasing. I figured I would be lucky if only the tweeters were dead and the volume knob needed some deoxit. To my surprise, everything worked like new and sounds amazing! Who would have thought Ebay AND CL purchases would both turn out so well???

Those HKs really do sound great. I was going to give him my old Kenwood KR9600 that I bought new in '76 to match the '76 Corns but that beast weighs about 70lbs and is just too darn big for his (and my grandaughter's) space.

He's absolutely thrilled with the system (who wouldn't be?) and I'm still amazed at the sound you can get for $500 if you're patient enough.

Awesome and thoughtful gift Gary, I know they will appreciate that setup for many years to come[:D] I try to tell the young bucks that come and listen to my systems that if they are patient and shop as you did they can buy a $500.00 to $800.00 system that will absolutely destroy the plastic black boxes (Gear and speakers) at any of these audio discount outlets today not to mention having a nostalgic system[;)]

Was spinning that copy of "I Robot" you sent me many years back and it still sounds awesome to this day, I know the whole room at the Hope farmhouse were rocking to it on Coyote's Mac 30's and Me Love's freshly Crites modified K-Horns that Pilgrimage[Y]

Gary,

That's very nice.

I recently presented my son with a refurbished h/k 430, a pair of Heresy speakers and a CD player as a graduation present. Your Cornwall/430 system trumps that. You have a lucky son-in-law.

HERESY http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/160982.aspx and h/k 430 http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/163062.aspx

Hi Gary, hope all is well you and your family.... and my house was new when we bought it in 09..... and boy I can't tell you just how nice it would be to have a nice little house warming present. HINT HINT HINT...... ;-)

Thanks for all the comments gents.[:D] Sorry, but she's my only daughter. It does feel good to share a nice system with a family member, especially one who really appreciates the gesture and will enjoy it. My daughter grew up with Cornwalls in the house and at first was not too keen on the idea of having a pair in her basement. The first thing she asked was if she had to keep my grandaughter away from them. She didn't think she could handle that. She was so used to me freaking out when anyone would go near my Zebrawood Corns (especially with vacuum cleaners, drinks and Christmas decorations) that she figured all Cornwalls were sacred and couldn't be touched. I thought that was hilarious.

Michael - Do you know if the decorators with trim kits had a black motorboard? The tags just say CBR with no reference to decorator. Very strange indeed........