question of the day ????

VIC

Wow, this is scary and exciting at the same time. I took the time to add up all of my speakers, tv, projector, receiver, blu ray player, game consoles, etc.

Retail:$19,700

I paid $6,700

And everything was purchased new with warranties except the RT-12D. I always have and always will search and search for the best deal. I think I've done pretty good.

Just thought that I would add this, I have bought used and upgraded over and over again. I always buy at clearance prices, use for a while, and sell for usually quite a bit more than i paid for them when I got them brand new. Looking back at when I started, what I've paid for my electronics originally, the profit I've made from selling them, starting over and doing it again and again... I probably have less than $3500 invested in everything. Not bad for $20,000 worth of electronics.

• Moderators

2 forte ll 450

2 forte ll 500

2 forte 300

Bd player 175

folded horn sub and amp 375

yamaha Rx 730 500 for now

total for 6.1 $2300 you would be surprised at the sound for this price

RF62ii - $800

RC62ii - $370

quintet surrounds - $50

Sunfire sub - $750

DenonAVR - $1000 (in 2005)

Samsung plasma - $1700 (in 2008)

I got everything from local retailers - better surround speakers would be great but cant happen in our current room. these are plenty good for now until we get our next house and I will make sure I have a good HT space!

I know Sunfire doesnt get any love on this site but if anyone is looking for a serious sub and needs a small one I will recommend this to everyone I talk too. Everytime people come over and listen they keep looking for the "other" sub or assume I have bass shakers on the couch - this little gem kicks butt and looks great.

• Moderators

I've kept a spreadsheet since Jan of 2008 as I began building my system. I have $6705.32 invested in my HT, 2ch system in my son's bedroom and my 2ch system in my office. MSRP would have been around $29,635.92. Equates to 77% off retail.

I've kept a spreadsheet since Jan of 2008 as I began building my system. I have $6705.32 invested in my HT, 2ch system in my son's bedroom and my 2ch system in my office. MSRP would have been around $29,635.92. Equates to 77% off retail.

A man after my own heart. Looking for deals is the way to go. Could you imagine if you paid retail for everything and you only had $6700 worth of electronics. I'm almost more proud of the deals that I've gotten than the actual items themselves sometimes.

• Moderators

Could you imagine if you paid retail for everything and you only had $6700 worth of electronics.

Yes, that's why I'm so much of a scavenger. I agree, finding those sweet deals is as exciting for me as actually owning them. The only items I paid full retail for was my projector and screen. They wouldn't budge on the price. I'm not looking forward to the day when I sell my $2500 projector for $250. [:'(] It will be a hard reminder of why I try and buy used as much as possible for electronics. Their value just depreciates all too quickly.

Well since the prices are always higher in Canada I've had to look for some relitively good deals.

RB-81 $750

RB-61 $500

RC-62 $400

Emo UPA 5 $ 400 (got it on sale before they discountinued it)

Yamaha RXV 1065 $750

SVS PB12 NSD x2 $1650 (5%off second one)

I used cash for everything except the upa 5 so I did get a better deal, still not as good as state side thoughm

Somewhat scary when I put what I paid onto a spreadsheet but once I added the retail column, I feel much better on my overall savings vs. retail. Everything has been purchased new with a warranty. The subs say they retail for 999.00 ea. [bs]but I think 500.00 ea. is more realistic.

Obviously some retail prices have come down but these numbers are based on time of purchase.

Item Notes Paid Retail
RF-7II / RC-64II ASD 3000 4598
RS-52II ASD 619 850
LG 60" TV QVC 1600 3000
RW-12D x 2 NE (1 Free) 300 1000
Pioneer
AVR
Amazon 300 550
LG Blu-Ray Amazon 218 380
Dell HTPC Dell 600 800
Total 6637 11178