The Picky Report 2012

Hello again to all of my friends here on the Klipsch Forum! I apologize that I have not been here on the forum much for the past two years, however full-time school has been taking priority over most things for me since January 2011.

Verna and I attended the 2012 Klipsch Pilgrimage in Indianapolis this past weekend and had a wonderful time! I must say, despite this being a "lower-key" pilgrimage this year due to major building renovations going on at the Klipsch Headquarters, there was a stellar turn-out of pilgrims and plenty for us to see and do. I was amazed at how many new faces there were in attendance and familiar faces as well. Thank you to Klipsch and Audiovox for treating us all like royalty. This was a wonderful pilgrimage and the continental breakfast and lunch were both yummy and greatly apperciated. Thank you for opening up your doors once again to allow us loyal fans to see what it is you all do. Special thanks to Trey Cannon, Amy Unger, Mark Blanchard, Jim Hunter, Steve Phillips, Steve Baley, Phil Hatch and many others who took time out of their personal lives to be at the Klipsch Headquarters on their day off to show us a great time! Klipsch treated those of us who were interested to free tickets to a Miranda Lambert concert at the Klispch Music Center on Friday evening! Once again, THANK YOU KLIPSCH!!!

I plan to post photos from the pilgrimage and the Miranda Lambert concert at the Klipsch Music Center Friday night on this thread over the next couple of days. But for now, here is the group picture most of the attendees posed for. I asked Any Unger to take this photo for me with my Nikon so I could be in the photo, too. Thanks Amy! I know many of your real names, but please help me out with your screen names and I will update this photo with names as the infomration comes in. Please feel free to post photos of your own visit here, too and please provide as thorough an explanation about each photo as you can. I did not take photos inside the engineering center, so I have few to post from inside the building. I do have some from a BBQ that Trey Cannon and Gayle hosted on Saturday evening. I am off to school this morning. Click on the photo below to see it larger! -Glenn

PLEASE: I NEED YOUR HELP WITH SCREEN NAMES, FOLKS!!

post-10177-13819736526206_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819767197956_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819794170878_thumb.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Klipsch graciously provided us with a continental breakfast and then Trey Cannon kicked off the 2012 Klipsch Pilgrimage by welcoming all of us pilgrims in the 1st floor conference room...

post-10177-13819736546194_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819767217214_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819794190626_thumb.jpg

No...Hunter is NOT sleeping here! LOL He's listening!

Jim presented us with a digitally-remastered copy of a tape that Paul W. Klipsch had recorded back in the 1950's that he played back in the room on a combined 2-channel system comprised of a Klipschorn and I believe a Klipsch Belle system. The recording is very unique because only monophonic reel-to-reel recording equipment was available back then. Paul, took a monoral recorder, added an additional front-end amp and heads to it and made the recording of a very special Wurltzer pipe organ with two widely-spaced, omnidirectional microphones. The results are spectacular even as compared with today's modern recording. Once again, PWK proved that he was far ahead of his time! The collection of recordings is available for download at cost. I can find out the information for you and post it here if anyone is interested. If someone already knows the link to the download site, please feel free to post it here. Thanks! -Glenn

post-10177-13819736588484_thumb.jpg

post-10177-1381976725443_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819794229902_thumb.jpg

Here are two Klipsch employees who participated in the tour by running some of the demo rooms for us: Steve Bailey from Tech Support on the left and on the right is Phil Hatch who is currently in training. Thanks for the name-help Mighty Favog and Amy Unger!

post-10177-13819736609422_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819767276108_thumb.jpg

post-10177-1381979425151_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Very nice Picky, wish I could have been there. Professor Thump just doesn't look the same without the rest of the hair [:P] And Amy looks like the new improved "Amy Light " version, congratulations . [Y]

Nice to see some of you, sorry but I don't recognize many, only by name.

Those PWK recordings were really nice. I would love to
hear those in Artto's room.

I had a good chuckle when JH played that 1953 interview.
That woman interviewer complained about all the wires and that men do
not put their equipment "out of sight" when they are done
using them. I guess I am not surprised that WAF was always a
factor.

When PWK was asked about his thoughts about high fidelity.
He said he does not agree with others views of high fidelity... He
then said, You either have fidelity or infidelity... LOL. You just
got to Love it.

JM

Very nice Picky, wish I could have been there. Professor Thump just doesn't look the same without the rest of the hair Stick out tongue And Amy looks like the new improved "Amy Light " version, congratulations . Yes

Nice to see some of you, sorry but I don't recognize many, only by name.

The hair was annoying on the motorcycle. :)

After we all listened and enjoyed the PWK tapes that Hunter had presented, we went down to the lower level where the engineering center is. Jim Hunter led a tour of the entire facility for all of the newcomers. As for us old-timers, there we 4 or 5 listenting rooms set up for us to roam around at will and audtion some existing products as well as some neww items which have yet to be released. We obviously cannot give details about the new products but rest assured, when you hear them you will be amazed like we were! There was a 7.1 room setup using all Paladium products. Total retail of those items (speakers only) was around $31,000 I was told. The room sounded more like $1 million to me! There was a 2-Channel room and a multi-format room that contained RF-7 II's, RF-83's and soundbars with subs. Some of the usual rooms were closed due to the extensive renovations going on in the building. The cafeteria we all remember is gone! Completely gutted except for the outer walls.They have big plans for the building. Amy Unger will be posting photos when work has been completed. Mark Blanchard (Professor Thump) held a headphone and earbud listening clinic in the engineering library where we got to try a bunch of different product and compare them directly to competitive products such as the Bose Noise-canceling headphones and Beats by Dr. Dre. For me, the Klipsch blew the others out of the water and were more affordable.

Around 1pm, we all broke for lunch back upstair in the conference room. We enjoyed a delicious lunch from Panera Bread. Thank you, Klipsch!

Trey did a product drawing give-away for all forum members. A pair of Klipsch Heresy IIIs went to fellow member, Jim Joost. Jim said he was going to order them in Walnut; a great choice. Many headphones and earbuds were given away. I was happy to receive a pair of red S3's.The marketing department gave away an enormous amount of promo items from their "vault". Wine bottle and wine glass metal adornments, Klipsch "Vinyl LP" T-Shirts, large plastic Klipsch oval signs, 60th Anniversary posters that are serialized actual silk screen prints, not lithographs! They are numbered from 1 to 1,000. PWK posters, Klipsch stickers, fridge magnets and a whole bunch of other great items. Thank you so much for the goodies, Klipsch!

A special treat was the Classical Music History Session that was held by LarryC in one of the demo rooms.Thanks for taking the time and effort to put all of that together for everyone Larry!

post-10177-13819736663286_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819767327352_thumb.jpg

post-10177-1381979430408_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Great stuff, picky, and thanks for the photos!! Yes, those two employees are Steve Bailey in tech support and Phil Hatch in training. Great guys, and so very helpful, too! One other note, it was actually Jim Joost who won the Heresys...I believe Randall was his guest. It was so great to meet all the new faces, and of course to see the familiar ones as well!!

Great stuff, picky, and thanks for the photos!! Yes, those two employees are Steve Bailey in tech support and Phil Hatch in training. Great guys, and so very helpful, too! One other note, it was actually Jim Joost who won the Heresys...I believe Randall was his guest. It was so great to meet all the new faces, and of course to see the familiar ones as well!!

I told my fiancé that I really wanted to go to this but alas with our wedding coming up on July 4th, things were just too pinched. I'm gonna say next year and try my best to hold myself to it. I wanna be one of those new faces that continues on this tradition for (hopefully) years to come :) I love this camaraderie!

On Friday evening, we drove out to Noblesville to the Klipsch Music Center for the Miranda Lambert concert. Klipsch provided the forum members who were interested with free tickets. Thank you Klipsch! This is the back of the KMC:

post-10177-13819736704142_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819767371048_thumb.jpg

post-10177-1381979434336_thumb.jpg