Larry C and the Classical Music History Demonstration...

Special thanks to LarryC for his Classical Music History Demonstration...and to Steve Phillips for running the electronics...

I enjoyed the wealth of knowledge LarryC shared with us with a "Walk Through the Ages" of Classical Music...

...from singing in a Cathedral to two handed piano...plucking the violin to the thunder storm and rain...we were treated not only to Larry's knowledge library of Classical Music which is extensive but to hear sounds not created by electronics...

I was struck at one point when I heard a sound that I at first thought was vibration in the Palladium woofer...believing that the recording had exceeded the speaker's ability to reproduce the sound when I heard it again and realized it was a wind instrument...fascinating and enjoyable...

Thanks again!

Bill

• Like 1

I've always been surprised that though many are happy to be verbal about other subjects like sports or speakers, others can be almost shy about speaking or writing on classical music.

This year's classical attendance was only 14 in the one session, compared with 2008's 45 in 3 sessions. At least I only had to do one run-through! Admittedly overall attendance was down this year.

Note that Loud&Clear and Gregorious commented in another thread, "Pilg"

I've always been surprised that though many are happy to be verbal about other subjects like sports or speakers, others can be almost shy about speaking or writing on classical music.

This year's classical attendance was only 14 in the one session, compared with 2008's 45 in 3 sessions. At least I only had to do one run-through! Admittedly overall attendance was down this year.

Note that Loud&Clear and Gregorious commented in another thread, "Pilg"

Maybe were just so in awe we don't know what to say? I don't know, but it's always informative. And a lot of fun. The thrundersteom piece was a lot of fun.

Larry - A nice plahying of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. A video version by Virgil Fox such as on this collection would be amazing. (Sounded awesopme on Michael's Jubilees [8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

VirgilFoxTheDigitalFox.jpg

Ugh. I really need to scan this better but need to clean scanner....

VirgilFoxTheDigitalFoxExtras.jpg

This was SICK bass as the youngin's would put it...

Maybe were just so in awe we don't know what to say? I don't know, but it's always informative. And a lot of fun. The thrundersteom piece was a lot of fun.

Thanks for your thoughts, insights and information. I hope you realize that I wasn't trying to be critical -- it was a general observation that I have increasingly believed for a long time. I'm not sure I have a V Fox recording. That looks like a massive organ.

I hope you realize that I wasn't trying to be critical -- it was a general observation that I have increasingly believed for a long time. I'm not sure I have a V Fox recording. That looks like a massive organ.

Yes Larry I realized that. Sorry if my post came accross wrong. I was overly tired at the Pilgrimage so almost fell asleep a couple of times ([:$]) - nothing to do with presentation as it's really informative to know what's going on.

I did notice the rotary valve trumpets again, as in 2008. I forget now but maybe the piston valved trumpets came along later? I forget though looked back in 2008 when Alea came with me to the Pilgrimage. I hope your presentation remains an annual thing.

I jsut picked up Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Sir Georg Solti conducting. CD on London 417 400-2 I would think that would be really fun on DVD or Blue Ray. I never even think to look for those. Couldn't turn it down for $1.99 at the local Goodwill. [8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

Pulled out my Andreas Segovia My Favorite Spanish Encores LP the other night, actually morning when I'd barely slept and it was very relaxing, didn't lull me to sleep but such beautiful playing. Even listened to part of it outside while feeding or watering the dogs.

Steve Phillips said he has enjoyed your sessions so you've got somebody to run the equipment for you. I enjoy these as it is interesting to learn about what they're doing and the different venues.

That Virgil Fox CD at least on "Toccata and Fugue In D Minor" has insane bass. Michael (Colterphoto1) identified the waling down the pedels as he called it lower and lower and lower. Intense bass from his Jubilees.

I did notice the rotary valve trumpets again, as in 2008. I forget now but maybe the piston valved trumpets came along later? I forget though looked back in 2008 when Alea came with me to the Pilgrimage. I hope your presentation remains an annual thing.

Steve Phillips said he has enjoyed your sessions so you've got somebody to run the equipment for you. I enjoy these as it is interesting to learn about what they're doing and the different venues.

The piston instruments seem to have been first. Here's an interesting webpage on rotary valves sounding different, which I hadn't known before: http://www.aswltd.com/rotary.htm.

Having Steve work the players is a lifesaver, and lets the presentations roll seamlessly right along. It would be a lot more confused without his familiarity with DVD operation and equipment.

I'd prefer groups larger than 12 or 14, to incur the travel expense and prepare and run these sessions. We had 45 in 2008, and had to run 3 sessions. Spirit and interest have drooped since then for some reason. I'd appreciate people's thoughts on why that is.

• 6 months later...

Vanessa Lee Carlton is an American singer-songwriter and musician. Upon completion of her education at the School of American Ballet, Carlton chose to pursue singing instead, performing in New York bars and clubs while attending university. Three months after recording a demo with producer Peter Zizzo, she signed with A&M Records. She began recording her album, which was initially unsuccessful until Ron Fair took over. Her debut single, "A Thousand Miles", reached the top five on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2002. Her debut album, Be Not Nobody, followed and received platinum certification in the United States. Her subsequent albums, Harmonium (2004) and Heroes & Thieves , failed to exceed the commercial success of the first. She produced a fourth album, Rabbits on the Run (2011) independently before sourcing for a record label to release it.