Inspired by Youthman's Post, What Was The First System You Bought Yourself?

My first system was sony 7065 reciever,,,,pioneer belt drive TT,,,,AR2ax speakers which i bottomed out the woofer in one...lol. Then got altec somethings and finally got LaScalas in 1979 which i still have...veneered with cherry though.My wife and I went to Hope in 1980 I think ,,,it was hot as you know what that year. Rick

Like Kaiser I was in Germany as an AF airman during the late 70's (78 - 82), and that is where I purchased my first system. I saved for about 6 months before buying a Sansui G8000 (I miss that receiver so much!), Dual CS-721 TT w/Shure V15 III cartridge and a beautiful pair of Infiniti Column II speakers (which were $1400 back in 1978).

That system rocked my world for a number of years and I will always remember all of the pleasure it gave me. A few years later I added a DBX 3bx, SAE 5000 NR unit and a Nakamichi tape deck. All I have left is the DBX and SAE units, and the Dual TT.

Kaiser, out of curiosity, where were you stationed? I was in the 609th, just outside Hanover.

Mike

"Kaiser, out of curiosity, where were you stationed? I was in the 609th, just outside Hanover"

Hey Mike, I was with the 86th at Ramstein from '76 to '79.

Cool! I spent a fair bit of time there TDY. Bought a lot of records from Tops Pop Shop (or something like that) in Kaiserslautern.

Mike

"Kaiser, out of curiosity, where were you stationed? I was in the 609th, just outside Hanover"

Cool! I spent a fair bit of time there TDY. Bought a lot of records from Tops Pop Shop (or something like that) in Kaiserslautern.

Mike

Well at least your TDY's were to a nice place. I only volunteered for one TDY and never did it again as I was coming off a graveyard shift Nov. 20th 1978 (we were at the armory clearing our weapons) when a Major comes into the clearing room and says he needs 8 volunteers for a TDY mission and they were not giving details just taking volunteers.

Next thing you know is it's 9:45 and me and 7 others are on a C-141being debriefed that we are on our way to Jonestown, Guyana to clean up after one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed in my life and hope to never witness again! We worked for a full week tagging, bagging and loading suicide victims of a crazy man, it was so bad many worked with their gas mask on my choice was an Old Spice soaked bandana[:o] I still dream of this place ever now and again and my wife says I shake in my sleep from it[:(]

Sorry about my departure from the thread topic folks! Looks like you put a nice first setup together Mike, like you I sure wish I had my old Pioneer back and really I wish I had kept that entire system, more of that 20/20 hindsight[^o)]

Mike

Well at least your TDY's were to a nice place. I only volunteered for one TDY and never did it again as I was coming off a graveyard shift Nov. 20th 1978 (we were at the armory clearing our weapons) when a Major comes into the clearing room and says he needs 8 volunteers for a TDY mission and they were not giving details just taking volunteers.

Next thing you know is it's 9:45 and me and 7 others are on a C-141being debriefed that we are on our way to Jonestown, Guyana to clean up after one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed in my life and hope to never witness again! We worked for a full week tagging, bagging and loading suicide victims of a crazy man, it was so bad many worked with their gas mask on my choice was an Old Spice soaked bandanaSurprise I still dream of this place ever now and again and my wife says I shake in my sleep from itSad

Sorry about my departure from the thread topic folks! Looks like you put a nice first setup together Mike, like you I sure wish I had my old Pioneer back and really I wish I had kept that entire system, more of that 20/20 hindsightHmm

Woah! Didn't know about that one. Jeepers!

Mike

Next thing you know is it's 9:45 and me and 7 others are on a C-141being debriefed that we are on our way to Jonestown, Guyana to clean up after one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed in my life and hope to never witness again! We worked for a full week tagging, bagging and loading suicide victims of a crazy man, it was so bad many worked with their gas mask on my choice was an Old Spice soaked bandanaSurprise I still dream of this place ever now and again and my wife says I shake in my sleep from itSad

Sorry about my departure from the thread topic folks! Looks like you put a nice first setup together Mike, like you I sure wish I had my old Pioneer back and really I wish I had kept that entire system, more of that 20/20 hindsightHmm

Wow! Never stopped to think about people having to clean up after that mess!

Thank you for your service!

When I was in 8th grade I used my paper route and lawn money to buy my principal's used system as he upgraded to a "better" black plastic type system with a remote. I bought his quad pioneer receiver with 12" 3 way speakers for $75. I don't recall the model but it had a really cool green scope that looked like a "radar" that showed the watt output in the four channels. It was sweet.

My younger brother told me last week when he was little he was scared when I had it on because of how loud it is.

I dug my first "real" system out of storage and shot this video of it in action:

All of it was / is demo gear I bought on clearance back in '99 for the dorm room. I sold the original receiver (a Yamaha RX-V595) last year. But for whatever reason I'm still holding onto the 5.1 speakers....hence the Panasonic AVR's in the video.

NS-A2837

NS-AC143

Can't recall the model # of the surrounds

and a YST-SW150

As I said in the kid inspired post which I really had no buisness joining in, this time it's cool.A Laffyette 50wt integregrated amp w/o a tuner,Dual 1229 tt w/ probably a Shure cart of some type and Crititerion 100 speakers.Also I forgot the last time I also had a set of Super-X headphones made in Yonkers N.Y.I think my five first albums were Surrealist Pillow,Blues Project Live At Cafe Au Go Go,Fresh Cream,Fleetwood Mac(original line-up),QuickSilver Messenger Service Happy Trails.

Kenwood Integrated Amp - Dual 1228 TT - Bozaks - Koss Pro 4A's.

A older buddy of mine had his license and we used to drive to Korvettes at the mall and spend hours looking at albums. They used to be three bucks which was significantly cheaper than anywhere else in town. Then we'd hit the high end stereo stores and drool.

The kenwood died. I tossed the dual at some point and the starter got the bozaks.

Assembled this in the early to mid 1980s while a student in Chapel Hiill, NC. KEF 303.3, Yamaha YP-84 turntable with Signet cart, and a Yamaha A-400 integrated amp. I still have it all, though the KEFs are the only ones seeing regular use. Chapel Hill had several good stereo stores, I think all this came from Stereo Advantage on Franklin St. (a Klipsch dealer BTW)