Vanilla Sky

Lone Palm

To me, this movie took to much energy to keep up with. Sorta like 'The Others'. I wasn't sure whether I was dead or alive while watching either. Or after.

I lump the above movies along with 'Behind Enemy Lines' in the poorly written catagory.

Rent 'Spy Game' instead. Redford still has it. Sounds good too.

Keith

WARNING BELOW HAS SPOILERS!!!- hate to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen (STOP READING HERE IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN Smile.gif), but this movie is open to wide interpretation to say the least. Confused.gif

what's really confusing is that sophia's voice is at the very beginning & the very end. my take is the whole movie is a dream in a comatose state. some real events & some imagined. then at the end he comes out.

sorry, but these kinds of movies drive me nuts, though i think it was a very good, cerebral flick. cwm5.gif

oh yea & almost forgot my sexist remarks. penelope looked good. especially in certain scenes. Wink.gif can't say as much for her acting. & wish we could have seen more of cameron d. cwm14.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-07-2002 at 07:31 PM

My interpretation is that David (Tom Cruise) did indeed come to near death in the car crash (and Julie James did indeed die in the car with him) and was put into a cryogenic deep freeze at the Life Enhancing (can't exactly remember the name) company - which allowed him to stay in a dreamlike state with the Lucid Dreams technology, and brought him back to the real world at the end of the movie because he would be able to be revived/recovered and his face reconstructed becaue the technology of that day (some 150 years later) would be able to heal him.

Just my .02

------------------

Onkyo TX-DS575X(B) Receiver

Sony DVPS 560D DVD Player

Klipsch RF-3

Klipsch RS-3

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" WEGA TV

Addendum:

I also think that the whole movie he was dreaming, but the event of him coming to near death in that car crash was true, as the Tech Support had indicated to him. I think the Tech Support segment near the end explained alot.

Or... it's just all a dream, and he'll go into a new dream... heh heh...

But nah, I think he'll go back to the land of the living.

------------------

Klipsch RF-3

Klipsch RS-3

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" WEGA TV

porsche, thank god you showed up. i felt so alone here. Biggrin.gif

yes i think he was comatose the whole movie, some dreams while were what really happened & some imaginary

events. since sofia was at the very beginning also I think that's the only explanation cause he hadn't met her yet in the movie chronology.

but i think it was in chrono order. but when he got to the end of dreaming about the real happenings, his mind of course had nothing left & everything went hog-wild imaginary. there he needed a splice or else he could come out of the coma. i think the splice was his own creation to keep dreaming in the coma.

all thru the movie & from the beginning its sofia's voice saying "open your eyes". at the end its her & he does finally come out of the coma.

but then we don't know for sure about his face & physical condition. still leaves a lot of unanswered so maybe there'll be a sequel. Biggrin.gif

some may say that the cryogenics must have been real cause he had no connection to it in real events. but he did earlier w/ the dog that was frozen. a lot of it could have been imagined & i think was in his coma.

a lot of symbolism involved too. this was just a guy in a coma dreaming of real & imagined events, but left a lot to the imagination. at the end it seems the "tech support" guy is tying everything together, but i think tech support is just his own conscious trying to get himself out of the coma & as a better person.

well, enough of that. may rent the spanish version though. penelope's in that &, being a european flick, it may be a lil more racey. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Didn't want to post earlier due to potential spoilerisms (new word of the week, I have already contacted the appropriate webster and roget reps for inclusion in their next editions). The abberations started long before the "splice" as told in the ending scenes, and who in their right mind -or wrong for that matter - would pick that point in time to "splice". I think the 7 dwarfs were ultimately responsible...

clu, good point. my thinking is an accident like that (& w/ neither wearing seat belts as I recall) would have surely at least left him in a coma. we don't see anything immediately after the crash which leads me to believe that everything after that was dream imagined while in coma. & everything up to the crash was dreamed reality while in a coma. Eek.gif

i don't think this was a reality based sci-fi flick. cryogenics on humans is all sci-fi, certainly to the extent that was supposed to happen in this movie. i think this writer got his motivation from the "wizard of oz". Smile.gif

so on that premise, the only underlying source of info when this "splice" happened is david/cruise. unless they tapped his brain & know what happened to him, he's the only one that knows what happened once he woke up in the gutter (where supposedly he chose the splice to begin) & soon after. the tech support dude i think is just his conscious while comatose.

i think all the cryogenics & stuff after the crash is just his subconscious dreamings. iow, i think the key is that sofia's voice is at the very beginning.

of course then the whole movie could have been just a dream. but i think the writer wanted some reality involved. i don't think the seven dwarfs played much part, except in the paranoia of his subconscious. they also added to the symbolism. think snow white. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-03-2002 at 07:48 PM

Add this in...the empty Times Square scene ...is a delusion? perhaps...and is pre-birthday? I have to buy re-rent(actually probably buy) to get the chronology correct...

And every thing that we see or seem ...is just a dream within a dream.

clu, yea that was neat. they actually did clear out times square on a sun am for that scene. & yea that was definitely an imagined dream. he was even driving a ferrari instead of his stang. & if he were really in the lucid dream right after that then why was he back w/ julie g.? she even became his father at one point in the movie. cwm3.gif

don't take my interpretation as gospel. i'm just trying to figure it out as we speak. Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Some speculations:

That wasn't Sophia's voice at the beginning (Penelope Cruz), that was simply a voice recorded for his alarm clock, which went off with the words 'Open your eyes' done by a female voice. (One could further assume he has such a high-tech wake up alarm because he is wealthy, as indicated by the movie - I won't say dreams or reality, as it's debatable!)

Cluless - Exactly how were the 7 dwarfs responsible? This is going on the assumption that many of his dreams were indeed real and factual of his life... is this what you think? Boa's claim that it is just part of his paranoia is a good one.

Let's say he is dreaming, are these just dreams? And he awakes, and they're nothing at all, he's just an ordinary guy? However, can this really be the case, because his dreams are so vivid and so extraordinary - the only way these kinds of dreams are possible sound like the Lucid Dreams technology...

I like the idea of the 'splice' theory too Boa... it sounds quite likely that that's a possibility... perhaps care of the Lucid Dreams technology...

His face and physical condition - well, going on the premis that he actually did have a car crash, and he is in a coma, these injuries still aren't repaired as indicated by Tech Support... (or this could be a splice.. damn this is tough!!! - everything after the gutter was true, he nearly killed himself with pills -- if you think of it, the car crash and the pills both would have lead to a coma... interesting eh?)

Tech support = his own conciousness = splice = lucid dreams technology = contract signed at Life Extension Corporation = going on the theory that he is rich, there were the 7 dwarfs and there was a car crash...

'nuff said for now. I think I might buy this on DVD. I watched it on VHS at the girlfriend's... I know.. I know.. no home theatre system or anything! heh heh

------------------

Klipsch RF-3

Klipsch RS-3

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" WEGA TV

well this is banging my head too much against the wall.

i think i'll rent the real movie - "open your eyes", previous spanish version which also stars the ever-so-cute penelope in the same role, & also rent this again & watch the director's (crowe) cut for some more explanation. from what i hear the original is more clear on the writer's true intent w/o being as revealing. does that make sense? cwm6.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

My point in blaming the dwarfs was quite simply that that line of reasoning was very abruptly discontinued. TA-DA DONE.

Not to mention the tech support guy looks like this dweeb guy at work who makes a big deal of slurping down his O'Douls (sp) at lunch (which made him totally suspect- I wonder how high his trousers ride above his waistband).

I completely missed the car stuff that boa mentioned, but I did notice the emblem on the driver's side window, and went HuH? But I recognize cars first by color, second by number of doors...

Tech support shows up 150 years later to inform him that basically his "cash is trash".Nah, this movies is contrived to confuse and confound.

enough babbling here, and boa let me know what you think of the original.."open your eyes",

I prefer the original version of la femme nakita.

Did y'all see on the tube the other night where 12% of dreams come true? Some sort of instinct or thought projection or DSP or something. I was glad to hear that tidbit because I dreamed several months ago that I won the lottery. Problem is, now I'm not sure if I actually saw that or dreamed it.

Anybody seen Scooby Doo?

Keith

freaker man. yea do wana go see scoobey doo w/ the kid(s). Smile.gif

ok my anal self has done all the research i care to do:

rewatched parts of VS, watched the full director's cut,

& watched "open your eyes" (subtitles only was tough cwm25.gif)

also check out this site for the therories & secrets:

http://www.cameroncroweonline.com/films/vanillasky/secrets.htm

now i think the writer did intend for the lucid dream to be a reality, as well as did crowe w/ his slight embellishment of the original (a few difs w/ open your eyes such as near the end but not many).

iow, the whole movie is set 150 yrs in the future, but of course w/ dreams of the past. at the beginning is sofia's voice saying "open your eyes" in the delusion/dream within the lucid dream as david explains it to the psych.

at the end it's not sofia's voice. it's a nurse in the future. when eyes open that's the only time during the whole flick that he's really awake.

there that settles it. Wink.gif but any ?s fire away. Smile.gif

i want to believe my theory (& theory 2 at the above site), but have to go w/ #1. theory #2 means sofia & david can be together again. but theory #1 which i think is really the case, maybe david can be w/ sofia's

granddaughter. Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

ok clu. my own final happy ending. while david & sofia were spending that 1st/last night together, benny the frozen/thawed dog & the LE (life extension) stuff came on the tv they were watching. foreshadowing.

sofia says like "if it's good enough for benny the dog then it's fine for me (cryonics).

so after david od'd & got put on ice, sofia did the same thing. 150 yrs later when the tech was there to recessitate a frozen person, sofia gets thawed after david. w/ the advancements in med, david gets the face job & he & sofia grow old together for another 150 yrs & live happily ever after. cwm38.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page