KLF30 vs RF7 II

CRAZY4SOUND

I have a pair of klf 30s that I have had for approx 16yrs, bought them new. Never had the issue that some people had with the faulty glued cabinets but I did beef them up with cross braces inside for my own preference but thought they sounded great before as well. I have seen the sorry used prices that are being had for these awesome sounding speakers and then see what the rf7s are going for and I cant believe that the rfs could be that outstandingly better to warrant such a price. seems to me that a three way would have to sound better than a two way. They have almost Identical technical details and aside from the oh so impressive gold colored speakers and nice wood cabinets {all looks enhancement not sound} I would like someone to explain what makes them soooo much better to warrant such a price when a person could get what in my opinion is one of the greatest sounding speaker klipsch has ever built for much less. Thank you. Oh by the way, I love this shit, and this community, great people and comments.

I have seen the sorry used prices that are being had for these awesome sounding speakers and then see what the rf7s are going for and I cant believe that the rfs could be that outstandingly better to warrant such a price.

Higher used prices doesn't make a better speaker, just more desirable at the moment. I think the reintroduction of the RF-7(RF-7II) has helped keep the RF-7 prices on the high side and somewhat stable. I have never heard any of the KLF's but sure would like to someday.

Bill

I'll bite. [;)] First off, I own the KLF-20/C-7 front soundstage for my workout room and they sound GREAT! I imagine the KlF-30s would be a step up and would definitely compete with the RF-7/RC-7 with different folks preferring some nuance in one better than the other...That said, imo the RC-7 is a better center channel and when coupled with the RF-7s REALLY give a cohesive front sound stage and after adding a couple of RSW subs it makes an excellent 3 way Home Theater system that plays Multi channel music flawlessly.

You mentioned customizing the cabinets of the KLF-30s because of something I had not heard of, but if that's the case, it would be reason enough to be concerned with purchasing a speaker that was discontinued over 10 years ago. I will also add that user additions to a company's product doesn't usually increase it's value.

Can anyone comment on the three way vs the two way? seems to me { then of course what do I know } that if a mid horn is concentrated on just mids and a tweeter horn on highs it would be better than one trying to do it all.

You are forgetting that adding a subwoofer actually makes our modern day Reference Home Theaters a 3-way system.

Can anyone comment on the three way vs the two way? seems to me { then of course what do I know } that if a mid horn is concentrated on just mids and a tweeter horn on highs it would be better than one trying to do it all.

In theory(and in most cases) a 3-way speaker will have much smoother transitions than a 2-way. In the case of the RF-7, the designers have asked two 10 inch woofers to cross over to a 1.75 tweeter. A pretty daunting task but I think they have pulled it off pretty darn well. Without the horn, I think it would not be so smooth(some opinions disagree) . I have a pair of RF-63's that IMO, are the most 3-way sounding 2-way speaker Klipsch has ever built. Three 6.5 woofers into a 1.25 inch horn tweeter. "On paper" and in my opinion, a much smoother transition than with the RF-7's. Also "on paper", the KLF 3-ways "should" trump them all.

Bill

if a mid horn is concentrated on just mids and a tweeter horn on highs it would be better than one trying to do it all

I urge you to listen to the 402 horn on a jub lf bin or a mwm lf bin. [;)] You will be made a believer!

That said, I own KLF-30s as well...love 'em.

There's tons of others here who can go way further into the 3-way v. 2-way debate. I just go on what my ears tell me.

So then the klfs would make it a 4 way?

That's one way of looking at it and then one has to ask when does there start to be problems by adding more crossovers and when does the theory of diminishing returns kick in...IOW, with the advent of the modern day subwoofer (look at how much better the RSW series was compared to the KSW series that came out with the Legend series) speakers aren't having to recreate all of the sound that they once were asked to do nor what is now available with the modern codecs on various media today allowing for a smoother transition in sending the lower end to the sub.

I believe you to be absulutely correct willland. Which is why I posted this from the beginning. I am always looking to better my system and upgrade and with all the rf7 hype I {which I have not heard an rf7} I thought to myself what am I missing and should I get a pair of these, but like I said I think you are right, on paper the klfs should trump the rf7s and probably do imho so I guess until I hear a pair of the 7s or anything else that my be steps above the klfs I will hold on to my sheckles.

I am always looking to better my system and upgrade and with all the rf7 hype I {which I have not heard an rf7} I thought to myself what am I missing and should I get a pair of these, but like I said I think you are right, on paper the klfs should trump the rf7s and probably do imho so I guess until I hear a pair of the 7s or anything else that my be steps above the klfs I will hold on to my sheckles.

Fwiw, you won't find anything that's "steps above" either the KLF-30s or RF-7s (in similar footprint) and if owning one, the other wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade but more of a lateral move, imo...Insofar as one looking better on paper, I guess it depends on what reading material you are looking at. [;)]

Good Luck and if you use the search function will see that others have expressed their opinion on this subject through the years.

while I cant directly comment on klf 30s vs 7's as I've owned neither I have listened to plain rf7's, modded rf7's and also owned klf 20s and the rf83s, like mentioned the 63s and 83s really sound 3 way, the modded 7s also sounded very similiar

the biggest difference is the center, when you compare the klf c7 to the newer centers it sounds like it has a blanket over it, if your primarily happy with the klfs try upgrading them with crites

http://www.critesspeakers.com/contact_us.html

I recently heard the KLF 20's next to RF 7's. They both sounded great. The mid-range and Hi's were equally good in both speakers. The bass tonal quality of the 7's differed from the KLF. Not better, not worse, just different. I think the character of the KLF 30's would be similar in tonal quality to the KLF 20's,, It may come down to preference. Price is determined by the market and not completely based on overall quality/performance. The KLF's are very nice sounding speakers. The owner of the 7's and KLF, sold me the 7's because he perfered the bass of the KLF's. More recent speakers do use the center channel and sub to smooth out the frequency band of the system.