Quartet and rear surround speakers

Ufanco

Hi I just found this BB yesterday and have to say wow, I spent a couple of hours going throu past post and was inpressed by the amount of friendly knowlegable folks here.

Ok back to subject currently getting ready to upgrade my system. Current system is Klipsch Quartet for front mains, Klipsch Academy as center channel speaker and for rear speakers currently using Klipsch KG 1.2. I like to update to a 6.1 system and need some thoughts on what to do about rear surround speakers. Should I keep the KG1.2 as the side surround and try to find a new speaker for rear effect? What are my chances of finding either a single KG1.2 or another pair of them (seems these speakers where only made for 2 years). Should I just replace KG1.2 and get 3 new matched rear effect speakers? Are there any klipsh in wall speakers that would work with my current system and sound at least as nice as the KG 1.2?

This message has been edited by Ufanco on 06-02-2002 at 02:55 PM

The mains and center are most critical. I normally run 4 Forte II (2 main, 2 surround) with a modified Quartet for the center. I have been experimenting using a set of Quartets as my surrounds and I can honestly say that I am NOT missing much (any?) with this configuration. I wouldn't worry too much about matching the rear channels (with today's source material anyway). If I were you, I would be FAR MORE inclined to acquire a set of Forte II to use for my mains and move the Quartets to the surround. Use one of the KG 1.2 as your rear center. You just have to understand that not too many people are utilizing the rear channels for much more than effects ... no voices where things become more critical. Just my opinion of course!

Thank you Jeroham for the quick responce I would love to be able to upgrade that much, but with having to also upgrade the rest of the system (tv reciever dvd subwoofer ect) doing so at this time is outside of my budget.

I am trying to use what I currently have for front and center as I am fairly pleased with the current sound I am getting using the Quartets and Academy speakers. I am reading from your responce that the rear channels are not near as inportant as main or center in a 6.1 setup. Since I can't afford to upgrade the fronts any suggestion on a speaker that would do ok with the current KG 1.2 as the rear speaker? Should look at getting better side speakers and using one of the KG1.2 as the rear speaker?

Your system is not that different than mine.

I think I would go looking for a "nice" used KG2.2, or KG2.5, or KG1.2, or KG1.5. If you were fortunate to get your hands on another Academy...it would be my first choice for a rear center.

ChorusII - front mains

Academy - Center

KG1.5 - rear surrounds

KG.5 - Front effects (Yamaha receiver)

SW12II -sub

VERY nice set-up there Ufanco....

Later

Mike

U-

That is a great system you have, almost identical to mine...Forte II/Academy across the front and 2-pr of KG 1.2s for surrounds and back center. That system does great, especially in 7-ch stereo which is a great thing about Denon.

There are usually some KG 1.2 or KG 1.5s on eBay, so keep your eyes peeled. I would certainly use another pair as back center speakers. As jerohm stated, the back center isn't used too much in movies, so a smaller speaker won't hurt you there. And, if you get a receiver that allows you to run the same source material to all 6 or 7 speakers, then the KG's would keep up fine. I like having two speakers as the back center; it gives a more spacious feel and gives you more sound when listening to CDs.

I am thinking about upgrading my mains to Chorus IIs and would then move the Forte IIs to surrounds, so I may have a spare pair of 1.2s in about a month. Not sure what finish you would want, but the "extra" pair is in black ash, in pretty good shape. I bought them off eBay about 2 years ago. I also have a pair of KG 1.5s in light oak I'd be willing to sell. Send me a message if you are interested.

Well thanks Jhawk now you got me thinking since I need to get a new receiver that maybe going with a 7.1 one would be a better ideal.(and I can blame it on you when wife starts yelling lol) Really thou how is a 7.1 system for Home theater. I was thinking the Denon avr-2802 seems to be a good value for the money but now wondering since it doesn't have 7.1. Have you found that 7.1 over 6.1 is something that really makes a big differance. I really don't want to be kicking myself later that I diddn't spend the extra money for the better system.

U-

For HT, I doubt the 6.1 would be much different than 7.1. However, I like the extra speaker when it comes to music. If you get a Denon, then you can do the 6-or 7-ch stereo. The 2802 is a nice unit. Maybe step up just a bit and get the 3802 and be very satisfied.

And just send any blame my way, I can handle it. Smile.gif

Been watching ebay for speakers and I see there is a Klipsch KV2 center speaker there. Has anyone used a center channel speaker as a rear speaker in a 6.1 setup and if so how well did it work? I looked at the KG 1.2 info on site and and the KV2 is listed as the matching center for them. Rear speaker will be installed in wall so size isn't to much of a issue. When buying used Klipsh speakers what is a good rule of thumb concerning price? Is 50% of what they where retail a good goal to shoot for?

This message has been edited by Ufanco on 06-10-2002 at 01:20 AM

Thanks for responding Steve.

After spending hours reading what others people thoughts and feelings are concerning Klipsch usage in a surround setup I have decided the best course of action is to sell my Klipsh and go with easy to use bose speakers. I'm joking folks its after 2 am and been reading forums last 4 hours please don't ban me LOL Smile.gif

Anyways alot of intresting points where made on this issue. I would like to thank HornEd and talktoKeith along with other for taking the time to post there thoughts concerning this. I am still not sure yet on what I would personally find to be the best sounding. I have decided since I currently have a pair of KG1.2 and may be able to pick up another pair the best ideal is to go with the 7.1 system using 2 pairs of KG1.2 for now (1pair side surround and 1pair for rear) I am upgrading from a pro logic system this should make a nice starting difference. Doing it this way will allow me some time to adjust from the sound of dolby prologic to a 7.1 system before trying to decide 100% on the side rear speaker issue. Hopefully by doing it this way I will have a better ideal on what I find sounds best. Since Klipsch still makes the RS-3II and RS-7 I will be trying them out later. If I end up likeing the way RS-3II sound as side speakers it be a nice added bonus without taking away form my enjoyment of system now. (I am also the type that if I diddn't try going with 4 of the same speakers in back and sides I would always wonder if I made the best choice)

This message has been edited by Ufanco on 06-15-2002 at 02:21 AM