Help! Distortion in 10" woofer K-1005-K from KG4.2

VERY STRANGE - VC is well-centered in the magnet gap. Moves easily in & out with very light finger pressure. No scraping, no noise!

I looked for bad glue seams on the cone>surround, spider>cone, loose/cold solder on tinsel leads from terminals. All seem to be OK!

Sound is extremely "grainy" indicating IM & THD - I'm gonna put the o-scope & sweep generator on it tomorrow to examine further...

VC DCR is normal, = to mate, = 3.5 ohms. Never seen this exact problem in 50+ years! WHAT AM I MISSING? HELP!

ALSO: How is the KG4.2 an "8-ohm" speaker with a 3.5 DCR Woofer? Marketing again? Still love my stacked KG4's!

Thanks for any ideas you may have....

I am - (as they say) - BAFFLED!

Steve in Minneapolis

post-34682-13819737710818_thumb.jpg

post-34682-1381976837055_thumb.jpg

post-34682-13819795352842_thumb.jpg

It could be corrosion. I do not know if that model has soldered connections or mechanical connectors on the crossover/driver or not, check that and where the speaker cable connects to the speaker and amplifier. If crimped connectors are used internally or on the speaker cable they may have loosened. Wiggle the wires while the speaker is playing and listen for a difference in sound quality. If all of that checks out it is either some sort of wierd driver issue or a crossover problem.

• 1 month later...

The K-1005-K woofer is on the bench, driven directly by a power amp, same GRAINY sound. I have decided it's probably bad glue seams at the VC where it joins the cone. As I push - or pull - on the cone the distortion diminishes. Any woofer-repair guys want to chime in with some ideas?

I'd like to find a working K-1005-K, or K-1001-K from the KG5.2 (What's the difference?) to replace this fuzzy-buzzy woofer. I'm selling the KG4.2's for a friend, and I can't justify $100 + shipping for a woofer on ePay!

Thanks for any ideas. I have sine/sweep/pink noise generators, 61-band RTA w/mic, VOM's etc.... How to test further? What am I LOOKING FOR?

Cheers and Happy Listening!

Steve in the MinneApple

• 7 years later...

The voice coil has become separated from the cone! You can't notice it by pushing the cone down by hand but if you carefully cut the dust cover off then pull the VC down with power you will see it! I just glued mine back to the cone (it wasn't completely separated so it was still centered) and then glued the dust cover back on! Works perfect now!

Edited by Allen1000
added details

I've experienced nasty sounds when a roll surround has just begun to let go with the aging glue losing its grip on the cone/frame. Easy fix too.

Did my head in trying to located it. Pressing down on the cone/dust cap reduced it. Wasn't until I carefully worked my way around the surround that I found the section that was no longer secure.

Good luck! KG's Rock!

• 11 months later...

I don't know if it's too late, but it may be the dust cap.  On My Epic CF-3's and on one of my KG 4.2's the dust cap edges start to peel away because of the glue giving up the ghost over the years. 

If upon close inspection you see the dust cap coming off you have several options:

Solution #1

Buy some JBweld clearweld from a big box store. Carefully pull off the dust cap with a utility knife or small screwdriver. (plenty of youtube videos out there showing this) Remove excess glue.  Mix some JBweld and apply to the dust cap with some sort of small item like a tint paint brush or I think I used a splinter piece of wood. Make a tape loop and stick it to the dust cap so you can lower it onto the speaker while carefully aligning it.  Place a cleaned out mason jar (or another similar object) upside down on it to apply pressure.  Wait overnight and enjoy!

Solution #2

I have a good condition used one that I would sell you for $80 shipped!

Solution #3

Treat yourself and buy a better set of speakers to enjoy for years to come!!!

52 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:
4 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

I don't know if it's too late...

I'm assuming so since the original thread was posted over eight years ago. 

Yup, I just noticed that.  I only looked at the date of the last post.  Well, maybe it will come up in a search and help somebody out.... in another 8 years! Doh!

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2020 at 6:55 PM, Iteachstem said:

I don't know if it's too late, but it may be the dust cap.  On My Epic CF-3's and on one of my KG 4.2's the dust cap edges start to peel away because of the glue giving up the ghost over the years. 

If upon close inspection you see the dust cap coming off you have several options:

Solution #1

Buy some JBweld clearweld from a big box store. Carefully pull off the dust cap with a utility knife or small screwdriver. (plenty of youtube videos out there showing this) Remove excess glue.  Mix some JBweld and apply to the dust cap with some sort of small item like a tint paint brush or I think I used a splinter piece of wood. Make a tape loop and stick it to the dust cap so you can lower it onto the speaker while carefully aligning it.  Place a cleaned out mason jar (or another similar object) upside down on it to apply pressure.  Wait overnight and enjoy!

Solution #2

I have a good condition used one that I would sell you for $80 shipped!

Solution #3

Treat yourself and buy a better set of speakers to enjoy for years to come!!!

Do you by chance still have a spare K-1005 lying around??? I think one is going out in my KG4.2's...

Sorry, That sold.  I don't know if you want to try these, but this is what I replaced the drivers with and had very good results. Direct drop in with no modifications needed.  

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-PA255-8-10-Pro-Woofer-295-030

Unfortunately, like everything else, these used to be around $45 two years ago, now they are $58.  Still a decent replacement option.  Then, you could recoup some of the cost by selling your old driver to a forum member that may need a replacement.

image.thumb.png.24ab597b420ff597f03868727724e952.png

12 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Sorry, That sold.  I don't know if you want to try these, but this is what I replaced the drivers with and had very good results. Direct drop in with no modifications needed.  

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-PA255-8-10-Pro-Woofer-295-030

Unfortunately, like everything else, these used to be around $45 two years ago, now they are $58.  Still a decent replacement option.  Then, you could recoup some of the cost by selling your old driver to a forum member that may need a replacement.

image.thumb.png.24ab597b420ff597f03868727724e952.png

Thanks for info. I may go with midwest speakers clone they offer that looks like the stock ones. 

• Like 1