Happy Father's Day!

pmsummer

PM's pix of his dad (really cool!) made me think of my own.

He wasn't trying to look like a cowboy in this picture. He may never have even seen a picture of a cowboy. He WAS a cowboy and this was his working clothes and gear about 1917 somewhere around Bangs, Texas. He rode fence. The gun was for rattlesnakes, either of the scaly variety or the two legged.

He was an awesome father and whatever the afterlife may be, I hope I have time to hear more of his stories...

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

Dave

post-9494-13819737770192_thumb.jpg

post-9494-13819768429_thumb.jpg

post-9494-13819795411282_thumb.jpg

My dad was always "the most interesting man in the world" to me.

He served in the Marine Corps during WWII where he saw action on Guadalcanal, Guam and Iwo Jima. He left the service following the Korean War as a major (and that's no easy accomplishment in the Marines Corps).

Following that he spent the next 30+ years as a school teacher/administrator in Dallas.

I lost my father back in 1988, however not a day goes by that I do not think of him. He will always be my hero and I miss him dearly, especially on Father's Day.

Here's to you dad.....

DSC_0043.jpg?t=1339958222

My dad was Special Ops during the Vietnam war. He taugh me what is right and just and how to be a man and stand up for my rights and freedom. Though I can never be half a man he was. He pass away a few years ago due to Parkinson but his words are always with me. I miss him every single day especialy on Father's Day.

Happy Father's Day to all of you Dads out there!

My dad was always "the most interesting man in the world" to me.

He served in the Marine Corps during WWII where he saw action on Guadalcanal, Guam and Iwo Jima. He left the service following the Korean War as a major (and that's no easy accomplishment in the Marines Corps).

Following that he spent the next 30+ years as a school teacher/administrator in Dallas.

I lost my father back in 1988, however not a day goes by that I do not think of him. He will always be my hero and I miss him dearly, especially on Father's Day.

Here's to you dad.....

Great photo of your father Boxx, he sounds like he was a real class guy. [Y]

I am surrounded by "at-risk" children on a daily basis. I saw this one in the paper yesterday. It was most appropriate for Father's Day.

DSC_0055.jpg?t=1340020868

This applies to all children, both boys and girls.

My dad passed away from liver cancer in '87. After serving in WWII as a gunner on a B26, he went to school on the G.I. Bill and became a school teacher and went on to teach and coach in high school for the rest of his career.

He flew out of England and France during WWII, while his brother was a Marine pilot, serving in the Pacific.

Bruce

post-7149-13819737857704_thumb.jpg

post-7149-13819768511132_thumb.jpg

post-7149-13819795500502_thumb.jpg

Bruce, you and I share one thing: Being here with our ancestry. I suspect your dad's likelyhood of surviving being a B-26 tail gunner over Europe is about as much as my great great grandfather's of surviving being a company sergeant in the 33rd Alabama in the Civil War!

Here's to hearty and lucky forbears!

Dave

Here's to hearty and lucky forbears! Beer

Dave

I'll lift a cold one to them tonight!

I wish I knew more history of my family, but it gets blurry very fast. Unfortunately, they are all gone, leaving boxes of unlabeled photos for us to try to decipher.

Bruce

Unfortunately, they are all gone, leaving boxes of unlabeled photos for us to try to decipher.

Oh, man, tell me about it. Many I look at and don't have a clue. Others, I vaguely remember which almost makes it worse...

My mom did a good job of IDing a lot of her side pix before she passed, but my dad's side is all gone and I have a LOT of pictures going WAY back I'll never know about. The oldest is a tintype from the 1840s of my great great grandfather Jame H. Mallette.

I hope I can get some of this, as well as stuff I take for granted from my own youth that my son wouldn't know about, documented before I leave this plane.

Dave