Carver Power Amps

Chipp4

Chipp,

Click below for an intersting discussion on this whole topic:

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000953.html

I've used several Carver amps throughout the years, including the M1.0t, and more recently the 35x and Lightstar. The latter two (IMHO) are very musical with my Klipsch. Click on My System link to get an idea of how I have them configured.

Hope this helps,

Colin

------------------

My System

I have owned a set of Cornwalls for about 7 years or so and I must say that I had really never "heard" them until recently. I just purchased a Sunfire Cinema Grand amp & Sunfire Theater Grand II pre/pro. This appears to be a match made in heaven! My speakers have taken on a whole new life. CD's I have played 100 times sound new and refreshed. Movies are incredible!

I feel that my Cornwalls are world class speakers and they deserve to be driven by a great amp, like the Sunfire.

Chipp...

I powered my Fortes for 11 or 12 years with a Carver M200t power amp and Carver C2 preamp... the sound was good: fairly realistic and quiet, but lacking in kick-in-the-gut punch. The McCormack upgrades I made a couple of years ago, along with better cables, has re-kindled my enthusiasm for audio and music in general.

I would have to say that the Carver amps sound good, but pedestrian... I was never brought near to tears as I was with the McCormack DNA1.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 surrounds

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

A big-*** HDTV

Chuck,

Never having heard the M200t power amp, I can't really be sure, but I'm willing to bet the bigger part of the problem with your old setup was the C2 preamp. I too owned the C2 and it was exactly as you described, pedestrian. Thankfully, I upgraded to a better pre/pro and the problem was solved. BTW, those McCormacks are oh so sweet...

Colin

------------------

My System

What I've always heard about Carver amps is that you should get the ones that were made by Bob Carver and his company before Harmon Kardon bought out the name. Fortunately, Bob Carver bought the name back from Carver and started the Sunfire line.

The only amps from Carver that I would own are the Cube amplifier (forgive me, I don't know the model number) and the TX-11 receiver. All else is junk (at least that is what I've heard).

Sunfire has a great sub. The Theater Grand is incredible.

chickey,

In regards to the Carver C2, I did actually replace it with the McCormack TLC-1 before I replaced the Carver amp, running the TLC through the M200 for a few months. The sonic differences were nearly indiscernable until I replaced the Carver amp with the DNA-1. At that point, angels descended from on high and sang with many Hallelujahs.

That Carver cube, BTW, was the M400, if my memory is correct. I never heard it, but everything I have read about the other Carver amps seems to bear out my own listening experience: Good sound, but not great.

cc1091 raises a good point. The Carver amps circa the earlier 90's are probably his best designs. At that point, he had developed the tracking downconverter, and had also done a lot of work to voice the amps so that they sounded less solid state and more tubelike. These designs were the basis for the last set of amps he developed while at Carver (including the Lighstar), and represent the foundation upon which the Sunfires are built. The tracking downconverter also is the reason the Sunfire subs have such prodigious output.

Chuck - Thanks for the clarification. If the M200t was of the same vintage as my old M1.0t, it was probably based on the magnetic field power supply. Stepping up from that to McCormacks was probably equivalent to going from Honda to Ferrari. Those old mag field amps were an interesting design, but weren't the most musical amps (and they hum like an SOB).

Colin

------------------

My System

quote:

Originally posted by Chipp4:

Sounds like the Sunfire road is the way to travel for high power and no Pro Audio amp fan noise.

Trust me on this one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that Sunfire amp. You will find that a lot of audiophile types will bash it around a little because it doesn't weigh 150 lbs.

Check out the reviews at audioreview.com on the Cinema Grand and see for yourself.

Checking on Ebay, it looks like it could be possible to get a deal on a Krell Theater Standard amp. I wonder how this would compare with Sunfire Signature Series (obviously the Sunfire is rated at twice the power).