Winding #3619 Autotransformer (need help)

Arash

I need 3619 autotransformers for the network I wanna build... I had successful results in winding tube amps output transformers so I wanna wind the 3619 myself... I'll use EI 57 core as used in original ones, but I have no idea about the turns and wire diameters and etc... [:(]

any help is appreciated

arash,

You can buy them directly from here: utranco@sbcglobal.net

I think Mark is the one that you need to talk to or you can contact Al at ALK Engineering as he is the one that designed the 3619

I know Alk has them but won't ship them to Iran [:(] it's not about money, It's about that I can't have them in Iran... I can pay for the information I need to wind them. is there any information about the autotransformers inner schematic?

key thing is to set the total coil inductance above the value needed to result in the coil becoming a low pass for frequencies you do not want. that value and the wire guage will determiene the size of the autoformer. likewise, if you have a form that you want to use...that will influence the bandwith of the autoformer.

post-22082-13819738008844_thumb.png

post-22082-1381976866471_thumb.png

post-22082-13819795682536_thumb.png

here's something to understand the inductance relationship at each tap

I think 2133 is inductor, so what's the autotransformer number? there is nothing labeld on it!

Edited by Arash

someone asked me a stupid question: why should we use Autotransformer to attenuate mid-range in a network while we can simply place a pot in signal path and turn it to the point! what should I answer him?

resistive devices lowers control of the voice coil and as a result increases distortion. in horn systems this is a critical factor.

autoformers increases control of the voice coil relative to resistive devices and as a result decease distortion compared to a resistive device.

BTW, in your drawing, it looks like you have taps 4 and 5 reversed.

Uh actually no. I double checked it, it is tap 5 then tap 4... because tap1, tap2, tap3 are in order it seems after tap3 must be tap4 logically but it not like this [;)]

Edit: Maybe I took ill notes while the reverse engineering?! any idea?

Uh actually no. I double checked it, it is tap 5 then tap 4... because tap1, tap2, tap3 are in order it seems after tap3 must be tap4 logically but it not like this Wink

Edit: Maybe I took ill notes while the reverse engineering?! any idea?

take a look at the chart with the elecrical properties. tap 5 is suposed to be a -0db tap, tap 4 is a -3db tap, tap 3 is -6db tap, etc.

take a look at the chart with the elecrical properties. tap 5 is suposed to be a -0db tap, tap 4 is a -3db tap, tap 3 is -6db tap, etc.

Uh I think you're right [:D] 0-5tap shoulb be -0db ... it's step by step... each tap minuses 3 db ...

is there any information about 3636 autotransformer winding and wires ratio?

g

• 7 months later...

Instead of going this route, could you instead use an active crossover?

Uh actually I use Behringer 2496 but using it as a 3-way crossover is not the smart thing to do as I'll need 3 amps (mono) for each channel. I'll use 2496 as a 2way crossover. one goes to a cheapamp to go to Woofer and HFgoes to low watt tube amp > passive crossover to split the signal into mid-range and tweets [:D]

stupid question: consider we have two autotransformers. each one attenuates -3db (for example). what will happen if we use them in parallel? will result in -6db? what about serial?

• 4 years later...

key thing is to set the total coil inductance above the value needed to result in the coil becoming a low pass for frequencies you do not want.

I think I'm in a language barrier with above quoted sentence. Can anyone please interpret it to me?