Suggestions for Setup

Incloud

not for nothing, but i am volume nazi. I am constantly turning things up and down. It s just the way its recorded in part. Its always first instinct to fault your system when a good portion of time its the soundtrack at fault.

That muffled noise was something i encountered while using an RC-35. at low volumes it was muffled but at louder volumes its cleared up. Many people on here have said the same thing about that center and isn't exactly on our favorites list.

Is your center in a cabinet? It is a rear ported speaker and sometimes the speaker within the furniture its in will miss with the sound, in the case because of the rear ports.

Check your surround modes as suggested above. I always try to use Dolby Pro Logic II unless its a bluray disk and DTS-HD is available.

You say your last system was like this? Did you use the same receiver? If you did, there could be a trend and your receiver at fault. I run my WF system off of a Marantz receiver and it sounds great. Shortfalls with that receiver is lack of customizability in comparison to my Emotiva Processor. The receiver power is quite adequate for those speakers but i do prefer a seperate stand-alone power amp (not always something feasible) Yamahas are known for being on the brighter side of thing especially when coupled with klipsch speakers.

Personally, i have had to mess with my system for months tetering on years to get everything the way i want it. I am talking from settings to speaker placement to connections. Its a tough thing to get everything to mesh just the way you want it and it takes time. I speak not just for myself but many others here, we have spent far more than we wanted to in the pursuit of an acceptable sounding system and making it work for us. That brings you to why you are here. We want o help you avoid the pitfalls we have experienced. Despit the forums best efforts, this is still a very indivual thing as everyone has different systems and listening environments.

not for nothing, but i am volume nazi. I am constantly turning things up and down. It s just the way its recorded in part. Its always first instinct to fault your system when a good portion of time its the soundtrack at fault.

That muffled noise was something i encountered while using an RC-35. at low volumes it was muffled but at louder volumes its cleared up. Many people on here have said the same thing about that center and isn't exactly on our favorites list.

Is your center in a cabinet? It is a rear ported speaker and sometimes the speaker within the furniture its in will miss with the sound, in the case because of the rear ports.

Check your surround modes as suggested above. I always try to use Dolby Pro Logic II unless its a bluray disk and DTS-HD is available.

You say your last system was like this? Did you use the same receiver? If you did, there could be a trend and your receiver at fault. I run my WF system off of a Marantz receiver and it sounds great. Shortfalls with that receiver is lack of customizability in comparison to my Emotiva Processor. The receiver power is quite adequate for those speakers but i do prefer a seperate stand-alone power amp (not always something feasible) Yamahas are known for being on the brighter side of thing especially when coupled with klipsch speakers.

Personally, i have had to mess with my system for months tetering on years to get everything the way i want it. I am talking from settings to speaker placement to connections. Its a tough thing to get everything to mesh just the way you want it and it takes time. I speak not just for myself but many others here, we have spent far more than we wanted to in the pursuit of an acceptable sounding system and making it work for us. That brings you to why you are here. We want o help you avoid the pitfalls we have experienced. Despit the forums best efforts, this is still a very indivual thing as everyone has different systems and listening environments.

I just get a little pissy when I can't get it right and have a problem with adjusting the volume constantly. I do realize that the recording plays a major role in the center issue. Overall my system sounds remarkable and I am satisfied. I think I am addicted to tinkering with it, it's fun. Other than being limited to one crossover setting for all speakers, I have relatively full control over my individual speakers. I ran YPAO again with the mic on a tripod to get Yamaha settings for distance and levels. They are pretty accurate. It came up with 160hz for AVR crossover, I bumped it down to 120hz, bumped up the center 3db and am about to watch Ghost Protocol and see how it sounds. I truly appreciate all the time and find these forums priceless in all of my addicting hobbies. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, after weeks of playing around and driving my self nuts, I found a scenario that is phenomenal sounding. Though it sounds great, it is technically against what I have read and learned here and throughout Google. This is what I have: I ended up setting all speakers to small as suggested by most readings. With all set to small I could not get decent dialogue from center channel or smooth bass from sub regardless of YPAO or hours of testing different settings. I ran YPAO a little while ago with my microphone in a different place. Still didn't really sound that great. I set the center to large and AVR crossover to 100hz and then verified all speaker levels with an SPL. With the center set to large it sounds sick. It is like a completely different system. It is literally like being in a theater. The dialogue is drastically enhanced, the sub blends perfectly with the rest of the system and it overall sounds amazing and full of detail. My only concern due to all my reading up on settings is damaging my center speaker with it set to large. It does not seem distorted at all. With the mains set to small, the center set to large and a 100hz crossover, where does the heavy bass or LFE go? Is it safe to leave these settings without damaging the receiver or center speaker. Hope not, it sounds unreal! Thanks in advance for all your help and input, Incloud!

Any further suggestions are very welcome...

You don't have to worry about damaging the speaker. Since it is crossed over at 100, the frequencies below that still won't go to it. As far as the LFE...it shouldn't hurt either since the other speakers are set to small. It should still route the LFE to the sub. If it sounds great to you, I'd leave it that way.

You don't have to worry about damaging the speaker. Since it is crossed over at 100, the frequencies below that still won't go to it. As far as the LFE...it shouldn't hurt either since the other speakers are set to small. It should still route the LFE to the sub. If it sounds great to you, I'd leave it that way.

I guess where I get confused is that from what I have read it seems the difference between setting speakers to small or large is that when set to large, the speaker gets a full range of sound. Wouldn't this mean that all frequencies are sent to the speaker? Setting them to small sends everything below your selected crossover to the sub. Is this correct or have I got it wrong. I am trying to not lose any detail while getting as much out of my towers and center as possible. My surrounds start at 120hz so I figure that with my crossover set to 100hz for crossover, I lose all the sound in the surrounds between 100-120. Which the crossover at 100hz also strips my towers which do provide some pretty impressive bass are stripped of everything between their rated 50hz up to 100hz. The towers of course have the lower frequencies sent to the sub due to being set to small. Setting the towers to large takes away from the center drastically. Hope this mess makes a bit of sense to someone. Thanks again for your response, I do feel assured that the Center and AVR are not being taxed beyond their ability from your reply. This is a lot of fun all in all, just very confusing.

I gotta say, nothing you are saying is making much sense to me. Setting one speaker to large and one to small should not take away from the other. Have you tried keeping the center on small and lowering the crossover point? I guess I'd have to hear it to get what you are talking about...

What I am saying as far as taking away is that if the crossover is set to 100, everything below that for speakers set to small goes to the sub. Everything above of which they can't produce gets lost. Correct? If set to large ( my center) where does the bass my center can't handle ( up to 80hz) go if the speaker is set to large but only starts at 80?