RC 64

Rewster

I currently have a Klipsch setup with RF 82's and I wanted to know if I should get the new RC 64II or the old RC64. Will the new center sound much different than the older RF series and should I save a few bucks and get one used. I have seen them new for $900 or get a used one around 650-800

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think you need the 64 at all. Find you a good rc-62 used and you will

Be blown away at the difference over the 52. If you get the 64 the tweeters will not match your 82's and you will

No longer have a seamless

Soundstage.

According to Klipsch customer support the RC-64 is also timbre matched to the RF-82s even though the horns are different sizes. If I were you I would look for a used RC-64 from the same series as your RF-82 and you should have a seemless front soundstage and a killer center channel. Also if ever decide to upgrade to the RF-83s, RF-63s, or even RF-7s you already have the bigger center to match.

I understand the importance of matching the fronts, but the issue that I am having is finding a used RC 64 for a good price. Someone has a used RC64 but they want 850 and I was thinking for a few bucks more I would get a RC64II for $900

you honestly think it is that much better than a new RC62II that you can get for around $400-$500 on the high end from authorized dealers? I cant imagine it being worth/performing double in 90% of all setups.

sure the visual wow factor is impressive but I cant see it being that much "better"

just trying to save you some $$$ - send me 10% if you like :)

IMHO you are being mislead so bad right now. The rf-82 has a 1" tweeter. The rc-62 has the exact same one. The rc-64 has a 1.25" tweeter so I don't see how anyone can say its matched. It was made to go with the rf-63/83 which share the same tweeter. The rc-64ii has a 1.75" tweeter to match the rf-7ii's 1.75" tweeter. If you plan on upgrading your front towers soon with the rf-7iis then go with a rc-64ii. If you plan on buying a pair of 63/83 then get a used rc-64. But if you are happy with your 82's then a 62 will be the best choice in my opinion. The additional money could be spent on something like an xpa-3 to further open up the front soundstage.

I understand the importance of matching the fronts, but the issue that I am having is finding a used RC 64 for a good price. Someone has a used RC64 but they want 850 and I was thinking for a few bucks more I would get a RC64II for $900

User rudy2012 lives in la and I just sold him my rf-62/rc-62. He has 82/62/82 up front with the 62 for rear. Shoot him a pm and go hear the difference for yourself. Maybe could take your 52 for comparisons and decide if it's what your looking for. And he has a beast receiver running it as well. A thiught

IMHO you are being mislead so bad right now. The rf-82 has a 1" tweeter. The rc-62 has the exact same one. The rc-64 has a 1.25" tweeter so I don't see how anyone can say its matched. It was made to go with the rf-63/83 which share the same tweeter. The rc-64ii has a 1.75" tweeter to match the rf-7ii's 1.75" tweeter. If you plan on upgrading your front towers soon with the rf-7iis then go with a rc-64ii. If you plan on buying a pair of 63/83 then get a used rc-64. But if you are happy with your 82's then a 62 will be the best choice in my opinion. The additional money could be spent on something like an xpa-3 to further open up the front soundstage.

So mislead? His question is about using an rc-64ii with the
old rf-82 speakers. If it will sound good. I ran that set up and it sounded great. It was
a nice upgrade from the rc-62 I had before.

Your driver size example is true but that doesn’t mean they can’t
sound good together. The rf-5 for example has a 1” horn but they recommended
that you use the rc-7 center with those and the rc-7 has a 1.75” horn. Rf-5 has the same driver sizes as the rf-82.

I agree it’s not perfect but being someone who has run both I
would take the rc-64ii/rf-82 over the rc-62/rf-82. Most likely though he will
like the sound of the rc-64ii so much he will upgrade to the 7ii. (what happened
to me)

I was not stating they are not going to sound good together. I was simply stating what is made to go with each other and that is what I would always go with. That's my opinion. But what everyone kept saying about them having the same horn is very misleading. So that is what I meant. I think the 64ii would be a good buy if there were strong considerations of upgrading. But if not I personally wouldn't. Your money could be right back out of an rc-62 if you decided to go with the rf-7ii/rc-64ii setup down the road.

I was not stating they are not going to sound good together. I was simply stating what is made to go with each other and that is what I would always go with. That's my opinion. But what everyone kept saying about them having the same horn is very misleading. So that is what I meant. I think the 64ii would be a good buy if there were strong considerations of upgrading. But if not I personally wouldn't. Your money could be right back out of an rc-62 if you decided to go with the rf-7ii/rc-64ii setup down the road.

Not one person ever said that they had the same horn. What I said is that according to Klipsch, they are timbre matched. On 2 seperate occasions, I spoke with Klipsch Technical Support and each time I was told by different people that all centers within the same Reference series are timbre matched to all of the floorstanding and bookshelf speakers in that series, regardless of size. The reason I was asking is because I was going to buy a pair of RF-82iis and a RC-64ii and wanted to make sure before I bought. They also said that they would recommend the 64 with the 82s as it would have a better overall sound than the 62. The reason they package the 82s with the 62 instead of 64 is marketing and most people won't spend more on their center than both of their mains together, even though it makes since to.

If the RC-64 is indeed timbre matched to the RF-82s as Klipsch says, I think you should go with that over the RC-62. However the price you mentioned is extremely high. Unless you absolutely need it now, I would go with an RC-64 but hold out for a better price. I had an RC-62 running with my RF-83s for a while, and I thought it sounded great, but when I swapped the RC-62 for an RC-64, the difference was astounding. I got my RC-64 for 600$ from a forum member, and I think even that was a tad on the high side, though it was still worth every penny.

I would go with the first series of RC-64 though. The RF-7 IIs are pretty expensive and diminishing returns really start to take effect, when a pair of RF-7s, RF-63s, or RF-83s would do you nearly as well for a fraction of the cost. If you go with an RC-64, I also think that it will hold it's value quite well. I can't see them getting any cheaper than they currently are for used. If you go with II's, you are still paying a premium because they are newer speakers and haven't been discontinued.

• Moderators

all centers within the same Reference series are timbre matched to all of the floorstanding and bookshelf speakers in that series

That is news to me. I've never heard that. So they are saying the RC-52 is timbre matched to the RF-83's? Interesting. We all know it will not even remotely keep up with them but at least it's timbre matched. [:P]

I think that's great news for those that have the RF-82's if they want to get the best center for that series. The RC-62 is a great center and will definitely work well with the RF-82, the RC-64 is an incredible center though.

$850 for a used RC-64 is a rip. I believe I paid close to $600 for mine and it was brand new with warranty through an authorized Klispch dealer. They don't show up too often. I only see two on CL right now...

$750 - Link

$Make Offer - Link

Thanks for all the info. I think I will grab a RC62 if I can find a deal on one and a 64 if I find one around $600. I also thought about using emotiva amps to see if I hear a difference from using the Denon AVR 4311.