RC 64

Rewster

Thanks, you might be right and if I can find one at a good price I will ****** it. I am going to take the advice of many hear and not rush and pay close to retail for an old 64 or even a new one, a deal will come I just have to keep my eyes open and that extra money could go towards a HSU or SVS subs :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Thanks, you might be right and if I can find one at a good price I will ****** it. I am going to take the advice of many hear and not rush and pay close to retail for an old 64 or even a new one, a deal will come I just have to keep my eyes open and that extra money could go towards a HSU or SVS subs :)

Couldn't agree with you more. Patience always pays off.

I was not stating they are not going to sound good together. I was simply stating what is made to go with each other and that is what I would always go with. That's my opinion. But what everyone kept saying about them having the same horn is very misleading. So that is what I meant. I think the 64ii would be a good buy if there were strong considerations of upgrading. But if not I personally wouldn't. Your money could be right back out of an rc-62 if you decided to go with the rf-7ii/rc-64ii setup down the road.

Not one person ever said that they had the same horn. What I said is that according to Klipsch, they are timbre matched. On 2 seperate occasions, I spoke with Klipsch Technical Support and each time I was told by different people that all centers within the same Reference series are timbre matched to all of the floorstanding and bookshelf speakers in that series, regardless of size. The reason I was asking is because I was going to buy a pair of RF-82iis and a RC-64ii and wanted to make sure before I bought. They also said that they would recommend the 64 with the 82s as it would have a better overall sound than the 62. The reason they package the 82s with the 62 instead of 64 is marketing and most people won't spend more on their center than both of their mains together, even though it makes since to.

From what I understand they are not voice matched to each

other. About a year ago we had a similar debate and Amy said that customer

support was wrong. They all have a similar sound but not matched. This is the

thing though. No one is going to watch a movie and feel it don’t work well together

(when I say no one I mean 99.99%). For me

it ended up costing me more money because I liked the 64 so much that I wanted

that look and sound everywhere. But I was really happy with it as it was. The rc-62

is a really nice center and anyone who gets one (99.99%) will be really happy. I

only recommended the 64 because it sounded like he wanted one and just wanted to

make sure it would sound good with his rf-82. I normally would recommend the 62

if someone just asked what to get with the rf-82.

I say go with the 62 and save the money. I have no plans on ever upgrading mine as I am completely satisfied just as the person above me said. I suppose if I was to hear a 64 I might change my mind, but eh, I doubt it. The 62 has more output than I'll ever need, and you'll be sure that it's matched in every way.

I was not stating they are not going to sound good together. I was simply stating what is made to go with each other and that is what I would always go with. That's my opinion. But what everyone kept saying about them having the same horn is very misleading. So that is what I meant. I think the 64ii would be a good buy if there were strong considerations of upgrading. But if not I personally wouldn't. Your money could be right back out of an rc-62 if you decided to go with the rf-7ii/rc-64ii setup down the road.

Not one person ever said that they had the same horn. What I said is that according to Klipsch, they are timbre matched. On 2 seperate occasions, I spoke with Klipsch Technical Support and each time I was told by different people that all centers within the same Reference series are timbre matched to all of the floorstanding and bookshelf speakers in that series, regardless of size. The reason I was asking is because I was going to buy a pair of RF-82iis and a RC-64ii and wanted to make sure before I bought. They also said that they would recommend the 64 with the 82s as it would have a better overall sound than the 62. The reason they package the 82s with the 62 instead of 64 is marketing and most people won't spend more on their center than both of their mains together, even though it makes since to.

From what I understand they are not voice matched to each

other. About a year ago we had a similar debate and Amy said that customer

support was wrong. They all have a similar sound but not matched. This is the

thing though. No one is going to watch a movie and feel it dont work well together

(when I say no one I mean 99.99%). For me

it ended up costing me more money because I liked the 64 so much that I wanted

that look and sound everywhere. But I was really happy with it as it was. The rc-62

is a really nice center and anyone who gets one (99.99%) will be really happy. I

only recommended the 64 because it sounded like he wanted one and just wanted to

make sure it would sound good with his rf-82. I normally would recommend the 62

if someone just asked what to get with the rf-82.

This is also what I remember.

I think people misinterpret what "timbre matching" really is. It is not that precise. My RC-64 is not "exactly" matched to my RF-63's even though they both share the same 6.5 inch drivers and the same 1.25 inch compression driver/horn. With different crossover points, cabinet size, cabinet design(sealed vs ported), it is just about impossible for them to be "perfectly" timbre matched. With that said, the RC-62 I had before sounded voice matched enough for me until I heard the RC-64 with my RF-63's which was clearly better matched but again not "exactly" matched.

What I am getting at is that the Reference series are voice matched to a point, clearly better matched than if you were to introduce a Synergy series center channel into the mix.

Bill

I would get biggest, badest, center channel I could afford. I also would like to tell you of the horror storys when it come to shipping a RC64. I don't know if there is a good way to ship them. Alot of them are all busted up by the time they get were they're going.

I would get biggest, badest, center channel I could afford. I also would like to tell you of the horror storys when it come to shipping a RC64. I don't know if there is a good way to ship them. Alot of them are all busted up by the time they get were they're going.

I think I posted about the shipping problem on my RC64. I think I went through 3 before I got one undamaged.

Wow I would hate to have to do this 3 times. I hope I can pick one up in So. Cal and actually pick it up physically or if I get one from one of our fellow Klipsch friends they will know how to pack it correctly.

One a side note. I noticed you have Emotiva amps and I was going to pick two of them up, but when I emailed them the suggested I go with UPA-1's because of the noise that the XPA would have on the Klipsch. Well as soon as I was going to pull the trigger they stop making the UPA-1's. SMH but I got an email the other day about the XPR-5 which is 400 watts x 5 and I thiVTF-15H's (2) have you had a chance to compare them to your SVS ?

Started off with RF82s, RS52s, Rb81s, and an RC62 . . . The RC62 is an outstanding center speaker for RF82s . . . The perfect match . . . But, what started happening as I began 3 1/2 years later to upgrade the fronts, then sides, then rears? The RC62 just could keep up. I was finding myself in the HT raising the RC62 to +10db and lowering my fronts to -3db to hear the center channel. I did the right thing buying the RC62 with my RF82s . . . Never nice disappointed in 3 1/2 years, and costed so much less than the 64 I was able to purchase additional stuff . . . The Rc62 matched the Rf82s and saved me some cash for other stuff . . . Until . . . 3 1/2 years later . . . I started upgrading . . . Then I know I should have gotten the RC64. Moral of the story? RC62 if you never plan to go bigger than the RF82s . . . RC64 if you ever see yourself upgrading, which we never do until we do. :-). Ask yourself, "What system will I be listening to five years from now?". If you see no changes, or you plan to repurpose you RF82s to a different room other than yur HT (e.g., game room, home office, bedroom, etc.) then get the RC62 and buy something else with the price differential from the RC64. If you are sure you will upgrade and AND STAY IN THE KLIPSCH REFERENCE LINE, then buy the RC64. You can always cycle the db level down on a 64 to work with the 82s, but you may not be able to cycle the db level up enough on an RC62 to take real advantage of larger Reference fronts . . . Believe me, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to cycle down the dbs on your new larger fronts to tune them down so you can still effectively hear your RC62 center . . . Defeats the whole purpose of buying larger fronts. If your center is ever weaker than your fronts, then you have to weaken the whole front soundstage to get balance. I never planned to upgrade, so the 62 was always perfect with my 82s; well, until that first upgrade in my fronts. ;-)

Just a quick note, I just got my RC 64 and it is a great match for the 7's. Interesting, I never had any volume or performance problems with my Icon VC 25 with the 7's. I know others have had problems with timber matching and performance matching, I think it comes down to the pre-amp processing which is something that get little attention.

Just a quick note, I just got my RC 64 and it is a great match for the 7's. Interesting, I never had any volume or performance problems with my Icon VC 25 with the 7's. I know others have had problems with timber matching and performance matching, I think it comes down to the pre-amp processing which is something that get little attention.

Fwiw, I think it has more to do with the ears of the listener and speaker placement....That's not to say an AVRs EQing can't help, but it seems some people are more susceptible to hearing variances in tone and timbre especially when they start comparing sound systems to one another.

I totally agree with you, I've noticed that when I ran the room correction with the Denon that my front stage was missing something and I know it's the center channel issue. The solution is to replace the RC52 with a RC64 and I am sure that the Denon's Audyessy will fix the issue and it also allows you to adjust the EQ on all the speakers individually. I think I did not want to spend another grand or so on a center and rears because they have been discontinued, but I do know that I am missing something will fix it by adding an external Emotiva either XPA-5 OR THE NEW XPR-5 and see if that will make me happy

I think I did not want to spend another grand or so on a center and rears because they have been discontinued, but I do know that I am missing something will fix it by adding an external Emotiva either XPA-5 OR THE NEW XPR-5 and see if that will make me happy

If I'm understanding this correct your planning on putting a 1k or 2k amp onto a entry level speaker, to be honest it would have no worthwhile benefit for the rc52, the old line being discontinued or not it'll still sound better, I'd upgrade the speakers first, I'm not sure any klipsch speaker can really use the xpr to its full benefit since its a crazy power amp on incrediably efficient speakers, fun to try no doubt, you cant even turn them halfway with a xpa [:P]

No I would be upgrading the center for sure, the RC 52 is going no matter what. The only question was should I replace it with RC 64II or the RC 64I or save some doe and just grab an RC 62. As far as the Emotiva I wanted to see if by adding that I would get better mid range and open up the sound stage. I found a deal on some RF 83's and also wondered if by them adding one more woofer would that change the sound or give me the sound that I am looking for. I would start with the speakers because it's harder to find a good deal on them. I can always grab the amps directly from Emo. I know that I listen to movies more than music 60]40 and on some music the RF 82's sound great and some they seem to be lacking something. And the last case scenario would be to sale the Klipsch and replace with something like Golden ears it's all about the same price just need to make a decision.

If you keep the 82's I vote get an rc-62 and either xpa-3 or 5. If you want to go really big an spend the extra money get the rf-83 and matching 64. First one not the second. But that combo if you can swing the price will blow you away. And I would def add the amp to those as they will really open up with an xpa series.