RC 64

Rewster

I think what I will do is shoot to find that RC64 and when I find a pair of RF 83's I will move the RF 82's to the rear and that way I won't have to worry about selling the set or matching them and after that I will have a complete set

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a pair of RF-83's with an RC-64 center would likely be the last speaker you will ever need. I would also keep an eye out for a pair of RF-63's. Just a week or two ago, a member here found a pair for around 600 from acoustic sound designs I think? I don't remember the exact number, but it was a steal. They were going just a bit more expensive than the RF-62 II. The RF-63 would be very comparable to an RF-83, and for the much lower price, would probably be your better bet. The RC-62 would also do very well with the RF-63 as well saving you even more money.

If you can afford a pair of RF-83's with an RC-64, I would go for it, but the RF-63 and RC-62 would get you near the performance for around half as much money. Putting the extra money you saved toward a better sub would most likely get you better performance had you gone with an RF-83 and RC-64 with a weaker sub. Either way though, I have all the confidence in the world that no matter which way you decide to go, you will be very happy.

Edit due to late reply: That is also a very good idea! Those RF-82's would make amazing surrounds for the 83s.

Thanks, I do plan on getting either two HSU-VTF-15's or SVS PB13. I will continue to try and find the RF83's and I might have found a RC62 and RS52's for $600 for both trying to get a little better price for that setup

I have read so many posts where people say the rc-62 has a hard time keeping up with the 82's I don't see how it is fair to say that a rc-62 would keep up with the 63's. I personally moved up from the rf-82 to the 63's and my personal opinion is that there is no way a 62 could hang with the 63's. I also recently just bought a pair of rf-62 and an rc-62 and sold them to another member. But when I hooked them up to make a video for him before pickup I ran the rc-62 with the 63's and just felt that even bumping the db's up that It just couldnt hang with them.

• Moderators

I have read so many posts where people say the rc-62 has a hard time keeping up with the 82's

I've personally never read that. I've always been of the opinion that the RC-52 cannot keep up with the RF-82's. The RC-62 is designed to be paired with the RF-82's so I find it hard to believe that people feel that it cannot. I would not expect the RC-62 to be compatible with the RF-63's.

I think what I will do is shoot to find that RC64 and when I find a pair of RF 83's I will move the RF 82's to the rear and that way I won't have to worry about selling the set or matching them and after that I will have a complete set

I see that you are in a well populated area and I wouldn't discount trying to find the RF-7/RC-7 combo locally, along with RB-75s and you could still move your RF-82s to surround duty....Just a thought.

I would not expect the RC-62 to be compatible with the RF-63's

The RC-62/RF-63 worked for me for about 2 years until I replaced it with the mighty RC-64 and my system entered another dimension.

Bill

...it seems some people are more susceptible to hearing variances in tone and timbre especially when they start comparing sound systems to one another.

It's sorta like it sounds marvelous until you hear what the optimum is and then you realize that it was just okay...

The RC-62/RF-63 worked for me for about 2 years until I replaced it with the mighty RC-64 and my system entered another dimension.

Replace the RF63's with RF35's and I experienced the same as Williand with switching from Rc62 > Rc64

If there were reasonably priced Rf 63's or 83's up here in Canada I'd replace my 35's (but they holdup very well)

It's sorta like it sounds marvelous until you hear what the optimum is and then you realize that it was just okay...

I was very happy with an RC-62 over an RC-64. The upgrade was good, but I don't think it was really worth breaking the bank for. It all comes down to how you hear and perceive things. The type of movies also likely has a pretty big effect. If you are watching an action movie where there is a lot of stuff going from left to right on the screen, you would obviously want a more seamless sound-stage. I have no doubt that he would be better off going with an RC-64, the problem is he (the OP) was looking for advice on upgrading his center, and we talked him into getting a pair of RF-83's to go along with it. If the RF-83/RC-64's won't break the bank, I am not sure anyone could get a much better speaker for the money, any brand. I was merely just trying to come up with a possibly cheaper, decently viable solution.

Either way though, I have no doubt that he will be extremely happy with his purchase when he does find what he's looking for.

$Make Offer - Link

I spoke to him prior to purchasing my towers and center. He wanted 2800.00 for his RC-64 / RF-83's

Just a tad on the high side I'd say.....Surprise

I would certainly agree that $2800 is a tad high. Within the last 2 months, I upgraded to a 2-year old set of RF-83's/RC-64 from a local A/V store:

Klipsch RF-83 2 665.00 1329.99
Klipsch RC-64 1 474.99 474.99
RF-83/RC-64 System 1804.98

I probably could have found them cheaper with some effort but I felt safer with the local A/V store because I've bought a number of things from them and they would defenitely provide bettter service/support and even compensation/replacement if required. BTW, I LOVE the speakers!

474 for an rc64... I have to call BS on that one.

You can call it BS if you want, but I paid $1804.98 two months ago for all three used (2 year old) speakers -- just as I posted above. Maybe it was because I bought all three of them as a package. Maybe it's because I've bought from this store numerous times before and they wantted to give me a deal. Maybe it's because they are not really in the business of selling used equipment -- but do it sometimes as an aid to selling their new equipment. Maybe he wanted to give me a discount on the set and took it off just the RC-64. I'm not sure. I can only tell you, that's what I paid for all three and that's the itemized pricing as it shows on the receipt that I have at home.

BTW, I actually went in to buy new speakers - (2) RF-82's and a RC-62. They would have cost me $1750. The sales guy told me about the used 83/64 combo he had available. So I had him order the 82's and did a A/B comparison with the 83's. Since there was really no compariosn, I went with the used 83's/64 and paid the little bit of extra money.