Choosing A Receiver

Grey

Hey everyone,

I just bought a pair of the Klipsch Reference (RF-82) speakers from a sale at a local store.

I'm
starting to set up a home theather in my basement for the first time.I'm looking at doing a 2.1 setup. I'll be picking up a
subwoofer later in the year. My question is, how do I go about choosing a
reciever that will power these speakers and how do i tell? I'm just entering this world, and I would apperciate any education on the subject.

I'm not looking for anything fancy with the receiver either. I'll be simply adding a DVD player, cable box and my xbox to it.

Your best bet would be to look on craigslist. I would get one with
HDMI capabilities. There are several brands that are very nice. I would
look for a Denon, Marantz, Pioneer or Onkyo. I always see killer deals on like
new receivers. Many people are upgrading to 3d hdmi receivers and selling their non 3d hdmi receivers. So if you don't care about the 3d just get one of those.

As far as power, pretty much all of the newer
receivers will have enough juice to run your 82s. I used a 85 wpc Onkyo
to run my rf-83s and it sounded good. Down the road you might want to
consider a separate amp. I finally did and it made a big difference but it certainly isn't necessary right now.

When buying audio, quick gratification is replaced by what if's in the weeks and months ahead . Getting a good avr is a key factor for the whole system and may save you an upgrade. Also look for discontinued 2011 or 2010 avr's that sell for a deep discount..

• Moderators

When buying audio, quick gratification is replaced by what if's. Getting a good avr is a key factor for the whole system and may save you an upgrade

Great advice, [Y] been there and done/doing that, and spent more money than needed that way.

I wouldn't go with the 1312 because it doesn't have Pre-outs. These are line level outputs that allow you to hook up an external amp. External amps (like emotivas XPA-5) would give you 200 watts per channel with all channels driven. If you don't get Pre-outs now, you limit yourself if you want to add some clean power later. AVR's may say 120 watts per channel but that drops significantly when you are driving 5 speakers. More like 70 at that point. An external amp will always have the stated wattage available regardless of how many speakers are driven.

I don't think the choice of receiver is critical for your speakers, they are easy to drive and don't require a lot of power. Video connection requirements can be the sticking point. HDMI seems like it is the new "requirement" and I believe it has gone through 4 stages since first released, meaning if something you have needs the features of the latest version, none of the earlier ones will work as well or perhap at all for some functions.

That said a high quality receiver only two or three years old may sell used for a fraction of the new price. Same thing for brand new in the box, but last years model on closeout.

OTOH for a simple hookup, DVD that isn't BluRay, video could go directly to the display instead of being switched by the receiver, which allows a MUCH older and less expensive receiver to work just fine. Down side is that you might need to use the display remote control to manually switch video inputs for Xbox etc.