Using a Sub with SET Amp and Khorns

jcmusic

I have two horn subs, both used in 2 channel set-ups (I am not a fan of surround sound so far). The first I built was tuba table to go with my La Scalas. Integrating into that system was easy because my preamp has two outputs. The TT required a bit of EQing with a Behringer DEQ2496, but after that it matched the La Scalas perfectly and gave them the bottom end they were missing. I used a 300 watt BASH to power it and the amp has a built in adjustable low pass fillter. My basement system with the K-horns presented a different problem The sub I decided to build for the K-horns is the Cinema F-20 which is much larger than the modest sized tuba table. The K-horns (with ALK trachorns and APT200 tweeters) are powered by a 300B based integrated amp. No second output. I wanted to able to control the volume of the sub with my amp but I couldn't think of a good way to do that without changing my system, which am very happy with and did not want to do. My DAC however did have two outputs. I decided to give it a try and just hook the sub up to the DAC and control it's output separately. As it turns I rarely need to adjust the sub volume, so what I thought was going to be a PITA was a non issue. I am using another 300 watt BASH amp, with the sub kicking in at 52 HZ according to the dial. The Cinema F-20 is a wonder of a sub, huge low bass and no EQ needed. I measured with an RTA unit and am basically flat from 20HZ to 20000 HZ! For movies I turn it up a bit and shake the house, for music it is barely on but provides a surprising bit of extension I did not think the K-horns needed until I heard it. Hope that helps.

I am running the table tuba long style with my Khorns just for music right now. All are receiving about 125 watts I couldn't believe the bass I was noticing from the ttls I have no eq on it. I did take the ttls to my buddies house and tried it in is ht and it shook the house. I have herd the rel subs and they sound really nice. I would think you could go with either or and the right preamp setup and you would be fine.

I some day hope to try my Khorns or Heresies with some SET amps. I bet it would sound very nice.

Yes, I have 3 SET amps from Welborne Labs.... A 45, 2A3 and a 300B.....I also have Modified Khorns....I have a Rel Strata III Sub.....It does give a 'texture' to the sound.....Sometimes I turn it on....Rel Subs are pretty easy to integrate.

So when you turn it on are you happy with it? Does it work well with your 45 SET amp?

So when you turn it on are you happy with it? Does it work well with your 45 SET amp?

Yes, it works fine....I am not a bass freak and the Khorns provide plenty of bass. Most of the music I listen to is small Jazz Trios and Vocals. I tend to turn the sub on for movies.....I could live without it quite easily.

Yes, it works fine....I am not a bass freak and the Khorns provide plenty of bass. Most of the music I listen to is small Jazz Trios and Vocals. I tend to turn the sub on for movies.....I could live without it quite easily.

Tell me how did you intergrate it into your system? How do you have it hooked up?

I use a SET amp (PX25) with single driver Cain & Cain Super Abby's and use (2) Cain & Cain Bailey subs. With single driver speakers the two Bailey's fill in the bottom end quite nicely. The preamp I use has (2) outputs, so I just run the left output to the left in on the sub & the right out to the right in on the sub. I use this setup for music only. For movies, I use the Klipsch reference series.