56" tvs any ideas

The Dude

I was thinking of building a new entertainment center if I built it to the hight of my center channel I can slide my center channel in it. Which would give me more space for gear. I would then set the tv on top of the entertainment center instead of the wall like I have it. Then I could move the mount and tv I have now down stairs killing several birds with one stone. My question what is a good tv I like the led, lcd screens I would be looking for something around the 56" size. Smart tvs aren't a must but if that is all that is out there now I guess it would be fine.

you mean 56'' wide total?

Plasma is by far your best bang for buck and best picture - while LCD screens can look very good, you are going to have to spend up to get a nicer model to come close to the base plasmas.

my parents just got a new 7000 series Samsung LED smart TV. like you I wasnt too impressed with the smart apps until I set their's up. It is very cool and can be very handly.

basically like computers TV prices are so low now and you dont have to spend $3k+ to get a good one like years ago.

I agree with ousig - Plasma's are the best bang for your buck and have an amazing picture. Typically, they are ridiculously heavy, but hey, you don't plan on moving the thing all the time right?

I ended up purchasing (circa November 2011) a 55" Sony LED 240hz 1080P 3D TV with all the Smart Apps for $1400 (including shipping) and it came with 2 pairs of 3D glasses and a 3D blu ray. I have moved a few times in the past year, so I went with LED because the picture is very comparable to Plasma, but the major difference is in weight. My 55" weighs 20lbs less than my older 42" Plasma. I still haven't used a single Smart App and probably won't, but for the price, I couldn't let that pass.

When trying to decide which TVs are the nicest, I personally came to the conclusion that Sony and Samsung were the 2 nicest manufacturers out there. Samsung held a slight edge in my mind, but not enough to hold out for the perfect deal on one.

Hope this helps!

If you have a darker not so bright room plasma is best.If you have windows and fairly bright lcd.I don't care for led because every one I have seen has a red push, even high dollar ones.Just look at the whites on led vs whites on lcd, lcd is white, led looks kinda pinky, even on the Samsung I just retuned.

I would get a smart tv as they are pretty cheap now, even if you think you don't need it.I tend to think about future when I sell my used items to upgrade.Samsung, LG, and Panasonic have a good record but today most new tv's have a pretty nice pic, even so called cheap ones.You should be able to get a great 55-60 inch for under $1500, maybe $1000 if you shop hard.Check bensbargains.com or techbargains every day for a while, just an example, good luck.

LG 55LM7600 55" Cinema 3D 240Hz HDTV $1448 atPauls TV

$1448
Discuss (0) -
Posted at 11:39 AM on Monday 07/2/12 by
TheKenChan
Hotness LOW
Pauls TV has the LG 55LM7600 55" Cinema 3D 240Hz HDTV (2012) for $1448 with free shipping. Discount reflected in cart. Includes 6 pairs of LG 3D glasses. [Compare]

3D 1080p, TruMotion 240Hz, SmartTV, 9,000,000:1 contrast

I have never been big on the plasmas, I have a higher contrast Sony Bravia that I think still has a great pic. I have been looking at the 55" diag. that can be had for around 1500.00 or less.

Fish, I have never tried any LG product. I have seen some of the Samsung units and Sharp units. I was told alot of these TVs are made on the same assy. line. Not that, that really matters just something that is good quality and good pic. I do like the deal on the LG you mentioned I will have to keep my eye out.

Toshiba 65HT2U 65in LCD HDTV (1080p, 120Hz)
$1199.99 Free Shipping

65HT2U

TigerDirect has the Toshiba 65HT2U 65" LCD HDTV for a low
$1199.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "PYX63826" (Exp 7/7).
Tax in FL, GA, ID, IL, NC, SD, TX. [Compare Prices]

This is the lowest price we have ever posted for this gargantuan 65" TV (we
posted this a few weeks ago at $1299 from the same vendor). Other reputable
vendors have it for as low as $1299.99 + tax. Amazon has it for $1399.99.

1920x1080 @ 1080p; 3 HDMI; HD tuner; 120Hz refresh
rate

Posted: Jul

Samsung UN55EH6000 55in LED LCD HDTV (1080p,
120Hz) $1097.99 Free Shipping

UN55EH6000

TigerDirect has the 2012 Model Samsung UN55EH6000 55"
LED-Edgelit LCD HDTV for a low $1097.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code:
"3DAYONLY" (Exp 7/5). Tax in FL, GA, ID, IL, NC, SD, TX. [Compare Prices]

This is $150 less than the next reputable vendor (also a $100 price drop from
our last post), and the lowest price we have seen on this HDTV.

1920x1080 @ 1080p; 2 HDMI; HD tuner; 120Hz refresh rate; LED-edgelit

do you know the stated "contrast ratio" # for TVs is basically made up? it is 100% impractical to compare this number to another TV brand or display type.

if you question the plasma picture then I think you need to go look at some before you ask questions here. Plasma is known to have the BEST picture overall if you do some research. now of course if you try to compare the low end plasma vs a $2000 LCD then you may have a hard time but in general if you talk to a person that really understands flatscreen displays - plasma is the best picture. no longer do you have to worry about burn in, or a display that is not bright enough for a room. I have our 4 year old plasma in a room with 7 full size windows and I never have a problem. If you get a new plasma it will be even better.

as I asked earlier what is your total WIDTH max? depending on the TV the screen size diag will mean many more or less inches overall. The 1 thing about plasmas is the outside surround is thicker than LCD displays/ if you want a 55 inch display then LCD is your only option. plasma is not offered in that diag

ousig. When I looked at TVs earlier this year, I noticed they didn't post the contrast ratio when asked about this I received the same answer you posted. But I will say that we compared higher end plasmas and higher lcds and higer leds. I still didn't care for the pics on plasmas.

Those are some great deals on some of those tvs, at least I know what to look for and to shop to get the best price. Now just to get the entertainment center done first.

when you shop around and compare in stores all of the tvs are set to torch mode anyway, I find it impractical to really compare in store, truth be told you cant tell the difference between any of them because all of there settings are so far off

agreed with plasmas being a great bang for buck the pq is excellent although my 2 year old plasma reflects like crazy but another brand I had didn't at all, the new ones dont seem to glare much and the pq on them is just crazy now, everything has trade offs, personally I can't stand the over saturated and artifical look the lcds and leds give you, not to mention after being used to plasma you can see how bad many of the lcd/leds ghost images, if they aren't for you then they just aren't but do yourself a favor and take a unbiased look at the panasonic st/gt/vt 50's or 30's or samsungs 7000/8000

if you want a 55 inch display then LCD is your only option. plasma is not offered in that diag

Panasonic does make several 55 inch diag plasma models.

BTW, I would highly recommend a plasma display for the best picture quality and preferrably Panasonic as well.