McIntosh Question

ajoker2c

Hey Guys, I just found and bought a MC-250 for 300$ from a guy who stated it has been sitting for the last 6-7 yrs after Uncle died. He knows it is all stock and works perfectly. I ran home and hooked it up to a my Soundstage 2 tube pre amp feeding Heresy II'. It sounds amazing so far.

My question is I read online that to increase the possible sounstage I could hook my heresy's to the 4ohm binding instead of the 8ohm I have them connected to now.I am new to Mac and wanted your opinions before trying it out and possibly hurting my Heresy's.

post-50163-1381973849434_thumb.jpg

post-50163-1381976915489_thumb.jpg

post-50163-13819796219726_thumb.jpg

Nice find man.

I honestly don't remember where I heard it, but I have heards the same.

I think it's the autoformers in the Mc that makes it ok.

Would love a more technical know-it-all type of answer.

Nice score.

I think it's the autoformers in the Mc that makes it ok.

Would love a more technical know-it-all type of answer.

Nice score.

Thanks Rick, that`s what I read as well. When time comes I`ll pm you if you have anyone in GTA that refurbs Macs.

it wont hurt your speakers....moving from the 8ohm tap to the 4ohm tap cuts your power in half...so you would have to crank up the volume to make up for the power drop,,,,,your autoformer might feel a little warmer.....you do need to check which model Heresy's you have....some Hersey II's have a round plastic speaker connection plate that says 4 ohms impedeance .....some say 8 ohms.

it wont hurt your speakers....moving from the 8ohm tap to the 4ohm tap cuts your power in half...so you would have to crank up the volume to make up for the power drop,,,,,your autoformer might feel a little warmer.....you do need to check which model Heresy's you have....some Hersey II's have a round plastic speaker connection plate that says 4 ohms impedeance .....some say 8 ohms.

THANK YOU !

I just assumed they were 8ohm....they are in fact 4ohm

Switched over and sounds just as nice and possibly a lil fuller !....and did have to turn up a lil to compensate when switched.

Thank you again Sir!