Will the Real RF7's Standup-The Monster has Arrived!

derrickdj1

Every since I brought my RF 7's, I have wondered if I was really hearing the 7's in my blended Icon/Reference system. The answer is NO!..Before they sounded great but the addition of the monster RC 64 has re-EQ the system to the Reference series sound. All I can say is [:P]. The detail of the sound is crystal clear and there is no timber issue. The 64 and the 7's are an awesome combination.

I think if you are on this site for more than one day, you are infected with that bug. Moving the RC 64 around sure made it seem heavier than the 7's. That is one huge center channel. I like multichannel music and that is were the it is a big asset, in the midrange department.

You almost had me convinced your icon center was in fact doing a great job with your rf-7s. The RC-64 I is a fantastic speaker, and from what I understand, the II is even better. I could only imagine it would have been a huge difference. I know you kind of bought your RF-7 II's on a whim, so I am very glad you are happy with your purchase!

The Icon VC 25 is no slouch and did mate well with the 7's, I think it is SC 35, MCACC that should be given the credit. My RF 7's were set at -9 and -8.5 where as, the VC 25 was at -4.0. I think as long as the avr can do a good job with EQ'ing the system, timber problems are not a major issue. The Icon speakers are very good and capable speakers, I can't say anything bad about them. I will convert my basement system over to an Icon V system. It is kinda like a big cadillac compared to the midsize one, most people would perfer the full size one. If I could put my frig in the system, the SC 35 would find a way to blend it in, lol. I know their are a lot of Audyssey fans, but I really like what MCACC is able to do inspite of the fact that it does not EQ the sub. The biggest difference between the Reference and Icon system is in music listening. With multiple subs, HT is great with either system.

The difference between the Icon V vs Reference sytem that I have owned:

1.) build quality- Reference gets the edge

2.) Placement- Icon V easier due to front ports on towers and size of other speakers

3.) Off axis response- Icon V better off axis response

4.) Dynamic range- Reference is better not factoring in EQ

5.) Clarity- slight edge to Reference speakers and better midrange, HF respone more Icon V due to heavier bass of Reference speakers.

6.) Performance- Both give great performance noting tonal quality difference due to different drivers.

7.) Looks- Boths systems look nice and blend well together in my system (same color/ finish-black)

8.) I personally like both series and each is a bargin in their respective price range.