Packing Tape Residue on OO Belle, removing?

Rhetor

I am putting an oiled oak Belle into service as a center channel, then putting my 65" Panasonic Plasma (150lbs) on top for viewing. Speaker is a 1980 . . . Has not been oiled since new. But, when I bought it, I saw a thick darker winding line about 4 inches wide and 12 inches Lon on the top near the front. The previous own said that when hie had them shipped in a move, the moving company got some of the packing tape directly on top of the speaker and it left some tape packing rescue on it once he unpacked them....they had been in storage for a month before he got them out. It does not look disastrous, but has darkened that area ov time with some dust collecting on the residue. My question? What can I do to get that residue off before aI recoil it for use as a cent channel? I have 400 steel wool and watch clear Danish oil, but pehat should I do get the residue off before oiling the speaker veneer that will clean it off without damaging the speaker? Thanks

lemon oil and a cotton t shirt. the oil will loosen up the glue and the t shirt will attract it into the cotton. if you use steel wool, your just going to push the glue into other areas of the wood.

My two cents is that being careful with the steel wool (or fine ScotchBrite pad), and the oil, that the residue will come off. It might require a small amount of petroleum distillate to work, but a mixture with the Danish oil won't hurt a bit. Just make sure you go with the grain. The ScotchBrite pad , if the finer one, will be less likely to damage the thin veneer, too.

The cotton t-shirt would be even safer.

The moving company should have been required to fix the speaker, but you are way past that now, since it was another owner.

Bruce

ps - The price for those Tangents you sent the link for is a STEAL!

Thanks, Speakerfritz . . . Lemon oil from like pledge, or run down to lowes or home depot and get it in a concentrated form? Then do I just pour on lemon oil and lay the cotton t-shirt on it to soak for a while, then rub off?

My two cents is that being careful with the steel wool (or fine ScotchBrite pad), and the oil, that the residue will come off. It might require a small amount of petroleum distillate to work, but a mixture with the Danish oil won't hurt a bit. Just make sure you go with the grain. The ScotchBrite pad , if the finer one, will be less likely to damage the thin veneer, too.

The cotton t-shirt would be even safer.

The moving company should have been required to fix the speaker, but you are way past that now, since it was another owner.

Bruce

ps - The price for those Tangents you sent the link for is a STEAL!

Thanks to you too, Bruce . . . Did you get the Tangents for your project? I wish I had someone there who could pick them up for me and hold them Until I came back through at Christmas. I would have like the opportunity to bring them back up to speed.

Goof Off will remove it safely I did the same thing with a pair of OO Forte's with no harm to the finish.

Thanks, Frzninvt . . . Going to try Fritz lemon oil trick first . . . Then the Goop Off you suggest if the first one does not work. Waiting to hear back from Fritz . . . I know I only get one shot at this. :-)

Thanks, Speakerfritz . . . Lemon oil from like pledge, or run down to lowes or home depot and get it in a concentrated form? Then do I just pour on lemon oil and lay the cotton t-shirt on it to soak for a while, then rub off?

lemon oil in a bottle or the goof off that was mentioned which is basically a stronger concentration of lemon oil from peels.

What can I do to get that residue off...without damaging the speaker? Thanks

Lemon oil furniture polish should remove it just fine if that is what you have. You could use mineral spirits, or even acetone. The finish has long since polymerized and is not likely to be affected by it. Use a soft cloth as recommended above. No need to use anything abrasive.

FWIW lemon oil intended for furniture use is typically lemon scented mineral oil. And Goof Off products are made from a variety of things that have little resemblence to the oil from a lemon. It is all laid out in the MSDS.

lemon oil in a bottle or the goof off that was mentioned which is basically a stronger concentration of lemon oil from peels.

I got both . . . will try the lemon oil first. Thanks!