If You Had an Extra Set of Belles . . . Mods?

Rhetor

I have an extra set of Belles to do something special with.emp

They are in great shape. Oiled oak from 1988 with AB crossover . The have the stock K77-m tweeters, k55-v mid, and I am sure they have the stock woofer. they sound great, so no new caps needed for now. I cleaned one up today and oiled it down . . Black grills are pristine, except for one missing badge; no chips in the veneer, a light stain on top of one packing tape, which I used lemon oil on and now it can barely be seen. So, no vener workswould be involved. They were dry, and the Watco Danish oil made them shine--they were so dry! I put one Belle in service tonight, to to temporarily serve as my center channel for the HT setup. (I have in the HT walnut oil Khorns fronts; oiled walnut belles as side surrounds; Birch La Scalas stained walnut and lacquered at the factory as rears, black RF82s as wides; black RS 52s as heights;, with one Martin Logan Depth i subwoofer--3 8" driven woofers; all on a Denon 4311ci in the 11.1 ht setup) So now, if these were your extra set of Belles, what would you do to turn them into a special 2.1 setup? (I have a Heresys i can turn into the center channel in the Ht to make better use of the Belle. Bottom line, I m looking to upgrade this extra set of Belles into "The Ultimate Belles.". What do your recommend form MODIFICATIONS, turning them into Belles on steroids. I would like to do this with this extra set of Belles to turn them into extraordinary Belles for 2.1 channel music listening setup. So, shoot me your ideas for mods to help me create a set of "Super Belles!". Thanks for you help in advance! This is is going to be a fun summer project with you all's help! Now taking recommendations to put together a plan to modify my regular Belles into SUPER BELLES! The goal, to wind up with Super Belles to anchor an outstanding 2.1 music setup for my vinyls. I have the turntable, and tow vintage amps to choose from: a phase linear amp and tuner and an Adcom 555 amp and Adcom GTP tuner. Ideas for Belle mods?

I had a pair of Belle's as the first pair of speakers when I got back

into Klipsch after a long absence. It didn’t stay that way for long and

within two weeks I had a pair of Klipschorns to go with them. It took a while

but found another pair of Khorn's for upstairs. That split of the belle's up

for centers. Both of the Belle's remained stock with the exception of new caps.

I did try to port one as something to do (winter boredom)

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/156073/1647183.aspx#1647183

but it did not stay for long as there was enough low end with the Khorn's

and ported lascala clones that it was not really needed. It was returned to

stock configuration after about a month. If they were the mains I would think

of it again as it raised up the high frequency to where I like it. I have been

on a budget for a while but I read a lot of the K510 mod for the Belle's and if

I had the money that may interest me. If I were to do it again I would still go

with Klipschorns mains with the Belle as a center. Anything less seems like a

step backwards now. If I had a third set of good corners I have the makings for

another 2.1 but in the center would be the Peavey FH-1 (ported) with some good

High frequency mods (smile), K402’s if I were spending your money. I hope that

others will add there opinions, every ones different and that makes for good

reading.

Take them to a 2-way. You could even build a top for this so it would still look like the orignal.

This is not my Belle but it came from the same concept, do a search on "JubeScala" if you want to find others who have done similar with their LaScala.

BTW, that is known as the K-510 horn on top. It's being driven with the K69 tweeter driver.

post-15072-13819738581844_thumb.jpg

post-15072-13819769251122_thumb.jpg

post-15072-13819796310648_thumb.jpg

big+ on the two way suggestions. You might also consider a pair of Peavey CH-1 horns with the matching 22A drivers which is a nice size horn at 14.5" x 28.5" was designed by ex EV engineers looks like a half size HR9040 you can find them for a song. The CH-1 can run down as low as 300 Hz in a home setting and there are new Ti diaphragms available from Peavey, I got a pair for $81.00 shipping included. Good deal fine horn. You will need CD filter compensation with either of these CD horns. Best regards Moray James.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang I miss my Belles but at least they went to a great home. I think I'd try the alk style tractrix horn with beyma babby cheeks. That combo really surprised me. However if I ever got another pair they would be stock.