25Hz Tapped Horn

CECAA850

Mine have been built forever and I played with them some. But then I bought all that other gear so they have been sitting in the bedroom closet. I can say they sound fantastic but with the four 18's I feel myself wanting to build 2 more. But I am gonna try one in the from corner and one right behind my couch before I do that

A single unit, including construction materials, would be well below $200.

The PayPal transaction details pertaining to a single unit are pasted below. I ended up ordering a second almost immediately, so Erich gave me a break on the shipping for the second one.

Description

Unit price Qty Amount Anarchy Woofer Item# Anarchy-woofer-8 Ohm Anarchy $63.00 USD 1 $63.00 USD

Anarchy Tapped Horn Item# FP-02 $77.00 USD 1 $77.00 USD

Shipping Item# Fed Ex Ground - Home Delivery $18.55 USD 1 $18.55 USD
Subtotal $158.55 USD Total $158.55 USD Payment $158.55 USD Payment sent to erich@diysoundgroup.com

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

I purchased a pair of used Dayton 240 (now discontinued) plate amps, but I've not powered the subs up yet. They're functionally complete at my warehouse, but I want to get them painted in Duratex prior to letting my wife see them. There's been no time to complete to WAF status, even though they're headed to my basement office.

The Dayton amps were modified pursuant to the recommendations of Lilmike (the designer of the sub). Initially, I'll try a single amp powering both subs with a summed signal and then compare that to each sub powered separately by a separate Dayton 240. Eventually, I'll share the results, when (if) time permits.

• Like 1

Thanks, my Wife will only want to know when we'll build her a pair & will help build; or, even better yet, help, by not helping.

Your wife wants to build her a "pair". Didn't know those were DIY... oh, never mind. A pair of subwoofers. Even better Sancho. You've got a keeper. Most wives or girlfriends don't care much about sound quality. These do seem like a good first build one's own subwoofer.

• 2 months later...

They sound great. They go deep, as expected, and the SPL is better than expected.

For now, they're powered by a single Dayton 240. The low level signals from both channels are summed by the amp to a single output. The pair of 8 ohm subs are paralleled to show a 4 ohm load. They're being used as stands for small single driver BR enclosures.

Eventually, I'll experiment with various locations, such as side by side. I also plan to try two amps for true stereo bass, rather than summed mono bass. I'll also try them in my HT system to see how they compare to the larger DIY KEF B139 TL subs.

They're not yet wearing their Duratex finish, so there are no photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Tapped horns bring the most SPL in the usable range out of drivers, drivers as small as 6" will astound with high clean high SPL. A good few have build monster performers using 12" Eminence sub drivers. If you can allow a larger (or long/tall)box and can cut and assemble the cabinet properly. Then you get tremendous output per dollar.